About this project
Fusing together accessible paper model making with easy-to-learn game design; Viking Horde: Papercraft brings entertainment to both the casual user and the dedicated crafter/player. Now it's time to bring this exciting fusion to a wider audience!
We are asking for your help to fund a full-blown production run of the Viking Horde:Papercraft kits.
The models in the Viking Horde:Papercraft game use innovative paper engineering designs that are pre-cut and completely glue-free, creating an accessible model making experience for almost all ages
The rules of the game are designed around a fluid and "play-it-for-fun" imperative that is embracive to both the novice and experienced player. The modular rule mechanic that is central to the game allows for the complexity of the game to be escalated from extremely simple to tactically challenging.
With its origin arising out of an iOS/Android game that is being developed in the studio, the graphical style and world premise of the game has been given an additional opportunity to be enjoyed through the studio's keen interest in paper craft and engineering.
If you have any questions, regarding this project, please just send us a message and we'll try our best to give you a helpful answer.
The paper engineering designs of Viking Horde:Papercraft are all about minimising the tedium and frustration of paper model making and maximising the enjoyment and quality of the final product. The Longship kits have been through more than a dozen design iterations - continually refining the structure of the product, ease of assembly and visual appeal.
To get an idea of the process of assembling one of the Viking Horde:Papercraft kits watch this assembly instruction video for the Longship Viking Kit:
Although extremely simple compared to the engineering involved in the Longships, this animated GIF will show some of the design evolution processes that we undertook as we designed these paper creations.
Played on the floor or in a sheltered area outside, the game pits fleets of Viking ships against each other in a nautical battle for supremacy. Designed for two or more players, the one-ship-at-a-time mechanic makes the turns fast and engaging even with bigger fleets. The game employs on-hand measuring devices, namely people's feet, to gauge the movement and attack distances - of course those so inclined can use a more precise ruler if they so require. Each of the standard Longships is fitted with six shields (the equivalent of hit points) and six crew that perform various roles based on their class (type). One of the key features of the gameplay is the optional, but recommended, wind effect that provides a simple but tactically exciting feature to the game. The standard Viking Longship Kit comes with the printed core rules.
For the pyromaniacs there is the obvious consideration that the ships are made of paper! ... of course we couldn't possibly endorse this sort of dangerous behaviour, but some more nefarious types have told us that the threat of a flaming demise for your longship can add a certain spice to the gameplay. In a round-a-bout way this was actually the genesis of the whole Viking Horde:Papercraft project.
Adam Walker Studio [AWS] (often called Adam Walker Film as this is the trading name for our fee-for-service business) is a very small team of digital artists working out of Hobart, the capital city of the Australian island state Tasmania. We are Adam Walker, Aldrich Tangpos and Adam Reed.
We are creators with a passion for creating, both in the digital and physical realms.
If you would like to get an idea of the sort of stuff we've done, please have a look at some of these links.
The Studio showreel for the studio's digital content services:
The slightly wacky trailer for one of our iOS games, Sky Rush:
For US backer's information: the Australian dollar is worth slightly less than the US dollar, this means that the various backer tiers will cost you slightly less than the same amount in US dollars. This is subject to the small fee that some banks put on currency conversion payments.
Also check out the deluxe reward tiers with limited edition prints and resin Viking sculptures.
We have several add-on kits so backers can expand their fleets and rulesets to their heart's desire. Just add to your pledge the amount for the add-on kits that you want. Physical (not PnP) add-on kits are only available for backers with a physical reward tier.
- Single Longship (you choose the clan) +$15,
- Longship Fleet - three Longships (you choose the clan, the three ships will be the same clan) +$40,
- Character Pack +$10,
- Adventure Pack +$10.
- Kraken Pack (PnP) +$5.
- Kraken Pack +$15.
- Faering Pack (PnP) +$5.
- Faering Pack +$15.
International backers (those outside Australia) should add $5 postage per five ships/packs (or part thereof) for physical add-ons (not PnP). Add-on packs will be shipped separately to the kits sent to Early Delivery backer tiers.
Funded! Thanks goes out to you, our fantastic backers, both for your financial support and suggestions to help get this project off the ground.
- $5,000 - Extra Clan [Unlocked!] : You will now have three clans to choose from, in addition we will be rolling out the optional clan rules, that add another level of excitement to inter-clan battles. Early Delivery rewards will only be available in the two original clans. See the Backer-only update for clan details!
- $7,000 - Seascape Features Pack [Unlocked!] : A PnP pack of elements to enrich the nautical battlefield. The pack contains both passive visual enhancements and more dangerous active threats.
- $8,000 - Kraken Expansion [Unlocked!] : The seas have become even more deadly; the Kraken roams the ocean eager to devour any unsuspecting Viking. Controlled by behaviour cards the Kraken adds a tactical menace that must be overcome by all players. It will be included in Battle Fleet and above reward tiers, and available as an add-on. As part of this stretch goal we are be releasing PnP versions of the Character and Adventure expansion packs.
- $10,000 - Alternate Figurehead Pack [Unlocked!] : This pack includes two new mix-and-match designs for the Longship figurehead (and two for the stern-tail). We will be including a FREE Figurehead bonus pack for every two pre-cut Longships that you get. (i.e. 3x BONUS Figurehead Packs in the "Battle Fleet Pack"). Sorry the "Early Delivery" kits miss out on the Alternate Figureheads.
- $12,000 - Faering (Rowboat) [Unlocked!] : A tiny boat that delivers a deadly, albeit short-lived, attack - the Viking Horde equivalent of a kamikaze. The stretch goal also introduces the deadly, but unreliable, Berserker Viking class. Faering boat will be included as bonus on all physical reward tiers, the higher the tier the more faerings added. Also available as an add-on. Sorry the "Early Delivery" kits miss out on the Faering (but get the PnP version).
- $13,000 - Detailed PnP Miniatures [Unlocked!] : More detailed print-and-play miniature designs for all Viking classes, with swappable heads to work with the games unconscious rule mechanic. The design is based on the bobblehead available in the "Backer Pack" but optimised for the smaller size and class weapon props. These designs will be available for all PnP and above backer tiers. You will need the Faering Add-on rules to use the Berserker figures.
- $16,000 - Hero Viking : Persistent characters that earn XP to unlock skills and gear. Perks are coupled with an quest mechanic to balance game-play between uber heroes and newbies. Also an additional clan.
- $18,000 - Karve ship and the Merchant class (mini-stretch) : The Karve is a smaller version of the Longship with just four crew (and four hit points), however it is more manoeuvrable. The Merchant class makes the collection of loot a game-changing priority - as long as you steer clear of the larger combat ships.
- $20,000 - Busse : Part command ship, part battle juggernaut, more details as we get closer.
The stretch goals are about leveraging the cost-per-unit reduction, so that we can keep adding to the backer tiers - making them even more awesome. So please share this project with your friends and social networks. Thanks!
Risks and challenges
Although we sell and distribute paper-craft kits already through the studio website shop, this project represents a sizeable step up in the scale of the production. The data we have collected from the several hundred kits already created allows us to fine tune the production of the kits, so we are confident in accessing the economies of scale associated with this project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We recommend probably +7, however this might require a bit of parental guidance at a few of the trickier stages.
This depends on whether you want the pre-cut kits or the print-and-play (PnP) version.
If you want pre-cut kits then it would be the "Battle Starter Pack"tier ($50). As the paper-craft design is the "meat-and-potatoes" of this project's uniqueness, we would strongly recommend going for this option.
If you just want to play the game, and are happy to print, cut and glue the ships and warriors together, then you can go the "Print-and-Play game" tier ($10). As mentioned in the description the print and play versions of the ships and warriors are simplified versions of the pre-cut kits. The designs are compatible with each other however, so you can expanding you fleet size with PnP ships (hence the reason why all physical tiers include the PnP PDF).
This is one of our planned stretch goals. We imagine that it will be available to all tiers from the "print-and-play game" reward tier and up.
Support this project
- (30 days)