Freeman: Star Edge
A blend of space & planetary exploration, combat and complete player freedom.
Freeman: Star Edge
A blend of space & planetary exploration, combat and complete player freedom.
Trailer depicts actual in-game footage from Pre-Alpha and Alpha Builds. Note: These videos showcased some features that are part of our Stretch Goals.
it is like Arma and Mount&Blade combined together into a single game.
- This game feels like a cross between... Phantasy Star Online, Mass Effect and ARMA... with the gloves off. - Blu | SdgtEnt
- “Freeman: Star Edge looks like what the Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic series could have turned into if the series had continued.” - One Angry Gamer "
- A very impressive free-form sandbox Sci-Fi action RPG adventure that gives you total freedom to explore the galaxy on your own terms." - KJ Robertson, Alpha Beta Gamer
- “KK Game Studio’s Freeman: Star Edge might get some interest in the fact that it’s a game that attempts to be something that doesn’t quite exist yet at such a scale.” - Hardcore Gamer
Freeman: Star Edge Free Alpha v.102
Download Free Alpha Here
Don't forget to join our Discord server. We are on everyday and we would love to chat with you!
About the Game
Freeman: Star Edge is a single player free-form Sci Fi adventure where you'll explore many star systems and the exotic worlds within. Exiled to the edges of interstellar civilization, you must forge your own destiny. Gather resources, gain influence, build army and settlements and wage faction warfare to decide the fate of your galaxy.
Built on Unity Engine for Windows and distributed via Steam.
- Planetary exploration: Explore a beautifully crafted range of environments, hidden between the stars, as you seek your fame and fortune. What will you find on each world? Discover ruined civilizations, explore ancient star cruisers, or perhaps take in the sights and sounds of futuristic cities.
- Dynamic, free-form gameplay: Define your own success and set your own objectives in a living world. You are free to loot, explore, trade and grab a drink at the bar. Recruit mercenaries and train an army, or go it alone, infiltrating strongholds and using assassination to get what you want. Each day in Star Edge is unique. Factions engage one another dynamically. Each world is full of conflict and intrigue: bandits will raid friendly settlements, wars will break out, and cautious alliances will be formed as your story evolves.
- Grand-scale Space Combat: You can lead a fleet of many ship classes and engage in epic combat in space. Achieve victory by winning dog fights and battle cruiser clashes. Whether you hunt space pirates or wage a campaign against a powerful imperial navy, your victories will change the balance of power in Star Edge.
- Tactical Squad-based Ground Combat: You will not fight alone. Hire mercenaries. Equip them with the best and keep up morale to dominate the battlefield! Plan your tactics - use stealth to surprise the enemy, or armored troopers to storm the front. Choose your arms - laser pistols, plasma rifles, silenced SMGs, sniper rifles, grenade launchers and much more to come!
- RPG Elements: Character physical features are customizable. As you play, you'll be able to master skills and trades, including stealing, gathering, leadership, stealth, trading and many others. Your character will have 10 equipment and quick-slots for armor, weapons, grenades and other items. How the world reacts to you depends on your reputation and standing with factions.
- Settlements: Nature abhors a vacuum. Once you've razed or conquered a planet, you can settle your own forces in, generating income as you build out habitations, an economy and industries to match.
- Modding: Modding will be at the core of our game. We believe modding is very important to keep the game long-lived and fun and fresh, especially for a sand-box game like Freeman. We developed the foundation of this game with modding in mind and developed strict naming rules, file structure and working pipeline which will make mod implementation easy. We will also work closely with our modding community directly to polish modding features based on modder needs and requests, provide documented instructions and tools needed to make modding as easy and fluid as possible.
Rather than being filled with empty space, the worlds of Star Edge have depth and are densely packed with detail, action and potential interactions between many moving pieces. Political and economic layers overlap and intertwine with the physical game world to create dynamic worlds with persistent replayability. Your playstyle will build upon the lore of several planets, factions, and NPCs.
While there will be missions and campaigns to complete, the narrative ultimately centers around your playstyle and choices. Freeman: Star Edge models a believable universe; your choices will impact its social, economic and political systems. Play as a mercenary who pursues danger for the highest bidder, a star commander and conqueror of worlds, a lone wolf that survives on stealth, guile and plunder, or a trader that prospers by peaceful means – it’s all up to you.
In Star Edge, combat is never trivial: when and where you deploy your armies, how you arm them, and how you carry out operations will set your risk and reward, and spread your reputation for ruthlessness, cunning, or mercy. The enemy will also fight intelligently, using cover and flanking your positions. Whether you engage alone, bring a squad or send an army, there will be countless ways to resolve combat and possible outcomes to emerge from it. Success in sieges, raids, defense and skirmishes will be determined by your skills, tactics and strategy.
The AI will take cover, hide behind bushes, prone and fight in squad formation. They will utilize advanced tactics such as flanking, calling reinforcements and charging in groups. Each type of squad has as unique role in combat (standard rifle squads, machine gunners, sniper squads and close combat specialists).
Amazing Alpha let's play videos
Don't forget to try our Alpha
About The Development
Based in metropolitan Hong Kong, KK Game Studio is an independent developer. Our Lead Dev, Mr. Hai has 6 years' experience as Developer and Project Manager.
With a background in designing professional military simulators and arcade games, he knows what's best in making combat both realistic and fun.
Tina, the community manager, helped developed the concept of Freeman as a science-fiction roleplaying game further and worked hard to bring the project to life on Steam Greenlight. And will continue working on community building and marketing.
Our team is also honored to have the passionate and talented Eva Melamori on board as World Design Artist.
However, none of us would be here today on Kickstarter if not for the great Community that has helped us in every aspect of development including lore writing, concept art, game testing and even music composition!
We've come to Kickstarter to push forward to complete the game, give our fans the sci-fi action RPG they've always dreamed of playing - one big decisive battle for Star's Edge!
Freeman: Star Edge is powered by the Unity Engine. Our Development Team has over the past year laid the foundations of the game, constructing in-house terrain generation, level design and debugging tools. An efficient production process, coupled with over 10 years of experience, will maximize production speed and ensure a high standard of quality.
We intend to welcome two programmers and two 3D Artists - with another 10 years of combined game development experience - to our team. These four additional members of have worked with our core team for a many years, and we have excellent synergies and an esprit de corps that has held strong throughout all our projects.
Our team has worked on this project for a year without any funding. Freeman has become a way of life for us, and we truly believe in its potential. After releasing the public alpha and receiving great feedback and support, we’re confident in the game’s future and want to make it the best it can be. At this point in time we want to ramp up production and expand our team so that we can increase productivity and refine the quality of the final game. In addition, Kickstarter is a great opportunity to gather a core of enthusiastic fans that we can work with us as we continue development.
- 70% Development
- 20% Taxes , legal fees, reward fulfillment
- 10% Kickstarter fee and fund processing fees
- Open Alpha: Now
- Ground Battle Arena: At the end of the Kickstarter Campaign
- Closed Beta: January 2018
- Early Access: April 2018
- Full Release: May 2019
Freeman: Star Edge will be priced at least $25 when launched on Steam Early Access.
What is “Danger Zone” (At $50 tier and up)Gameplay like?
Danger Zone is a standalone DRM-Free version built for windows. Uppon start you will be able to select the amount of armies you have and the amount of armies that you enemy have. And select weapon and equipment. Then you will be deployed randomly to an open battleground. Your goal is to eliminate all enemy forces. You will get a score at the end of each round. It is like a quick combat simulator where you can practice your shooting skills, combat tactics, commanding, strategy and everything combat related to help you survive in Freeman World!
Freeman: Star Edge's gameplay experience can be improved a lot with stretch goals.
- $90.000: Mining and Gathering
- $100.000: Robots
- $110.000: Air Support
- $120.000: Arena Tournament
- $130.000: Achievements
- $140.000: Ground Vehicles
- $150.000: Home Building
- $160.000: Explorable Caves
- $170.000: Scenario Mode
- $180.000: Companions (Hirable Heroic NPCs)
- $190.000: Relationship
- $200.000: Battle Cruisers
- $210.000: Swimming and Underwater Exploration
- $220.000: Melee Combat
- $230.000: Upgradable Player Ship
- $300.000: Story Mode
- $500.000: Multiplayer
Our community is our family. During our past year of development our community has been extremely helpful in playtesting, lore writing and asset contributions. Our dev team is active on a variety of social media platforms, posting daily progress updates while keeping open and active communications with fans. It has been a great joy to get to know and work with our community, which has always been an incredible source of advice and inspiration. As we press on, our channels will remain a friendly space where anyone can share ideas or expertise, and we would love for you to join us!
Join Our Community!
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenge will be combining a broad range of features and making them communicate with one another organically. We forecast that a significant amount of our effort will be focused on research and testing prior to implementation. For assurance, we decided to spend a year in development, testing our ideas and releasing a playable alpha that is 50% feature complete. Player feedback has been very positive, and we have demonstrated to the community an ability to progress through technical problems quickly. With additional funding we will continue to refine a process that has so far delivered good results over the last year. Once we have progressed to beta development, we will continue to publish our progress over social media and work with core testers and our community to ensure delivery and quality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)