The Nomad Tarot is a modern, nature-based interpretation of the traditional 78-card Tarot Deck. Featuring striking white-and-navy linework illustrations and indigo shibori-covered card backs, this deck combines Pacific-Northwest flavored imagery with elements of Norse mythology, Native American totems, herbology, botany, alchemy, and the Kaballah.
The 22 Major Arcana cards feature lush, highly symbolic unique imagery, and the Minor Arcana are illustrated as "pip" cards in suits representing the four elements: earth (crystals), fire (moths), water (shells), and air (feathers). All illustrations are hand-drawn, and card layouts and text generated digitally.
This deck is clean, original, and refreshing; a new take on the Tarot tradition that appeals to both novice readers and longtime Tarot fans alike.
The Nomad Tarot was first illustrated in 2014 by artist Jennifer Dranttel, and has been loved and admired by Tarot fans the world over. This re-print and re-vamp of the deck and accompanying guidebook will allow for higher quality printing of the cards, the printing process to be streamlined, and the guidebook to be updated with full-color photos and additional insights from professional Tarot reader Sara Galactica. After working with the Nomad Tarot for nearly five years, there are new insights and changes that will improve the clarity and ease of readings, and the artwork will be slightly changed to reflect these developments. The Kickstarter goal for this project will fund:
- an offset print run of 1,000 decks and guidebooks, which will lower their cost, improve quality, and allow US and International Tarot shops to keep the decks in stock
- consultation fees for professional Tarot reader Sara Galactica to improve The Nomad Guide to the Tarot with full-color photographs, new insights into the cards, and eloquent ideas about using Tarot as a tool for self-realization and exploration
- materials costs for additional rewards, which will be hand-printed by Jennifer Dranttel in her home studio
- remaining money will cover design fees for additional time needed to develop additional card artwork, package and distribute rewards, maintain correspondence, and manage the project
All rewards will ship out in July and August 2018 from the USA (hence the higher international shipping charges). If successfully funded, the deck will also be available in the UK from The Little Red Tarot (https://littleredtarot.com/), in the USA from Altar Boutique (https://www.altarpdx.com/), and in Australia from Two Sides Tarot (http://www.twosidestarot.com/).
- Jennifer Dranttel is an artist, illustrator, and educator currently living and working in the UK. She has undergraduate degrees in Architecture, Graphic Design, and Printmaking, and her MFA in Fibers from the Savannah College of Art & Design. Her work has been shown as part of the 2015 National Printmaking Exhibition, The 2016 "Diplomacy by Design" showcase at the US White House, and at New York and Paris Fashion weeks. Her favorite Nomad Tarot card is The Tower, which she carries in her pocket when she needs good luck.
- Sara Galactica (Sara Holodnick) is a writer, artist, tarot reader and teacher. She specializes in intuitive methods of using tarot for connecting to— and trusting— our inner wisdom. Holodnick is the author of the Sweet/Nothing Oracle: An innovative, word-based divination deck and poetry collection. Her favorite Tarot card is Judgement, and she feels most connected to The High Priestess when pulled in a reading.
- Sam Edison Canepa, Jennifer's 7-year old son, will be the distribution assistant for the Kickstarter campaign as his first summer job. He's looking forward greatly to packaging rewards as he loves silkscreening, packing tape, and the post office, and his favorite Nomad Tarot cards are The Chariot and The Devil, though his personality card is The Star.
Please follow us on Instagram via @thenomadtarot, and check out users' photos of the deck under the tag #nomadtarot.
Risks and challenges
Thank you for the opportunity to put this deck into the hands of more users!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)