Portrait of the Artist as an Old Man is an exploration of aging and creativity, consisting of 25 portraits and written profiles of artists over 65.
I am seeking support to develop a project called Portrait of the Artist as an Old Man. The project will consist of creating approximately 25 portraits and written profiles of working artists over the age of 65. There will be a particular emphasis on conveying their aging and how it has changed (or not changed) their creative process. I will identify, paint and interview a diverse group of artists: men and women of different races, working in a variety of mediums and styles, living in different parts of the USA and in different countries. Both well-known and unknown artists will be sought out.
Specific work to be completed will be:
• Identify artists 65 and older who I would be interested in including in the project. I anticipate that this will happen mainly through word of mouth, social networking, and informal research. It seems likely that I will need an initial list of 100 names to end up with 25 good profiles.
• Contact the artists, present the project and solicit their participation.
• Schedule and conduct interviews.
• Photograph and sketch the artist in preparation for doing the portrait.
Do background research to gain a deeper understanding of artists’ background and career.
• Create a portrait and written profile of the artist.
Documentation of the product will consist of:
• a bimonthly blog of the portraits and written profiles
• a culminating exhibition of the portraits
• an exhibition catalog
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.