Portrait of the Artist as an Old Man is an exploration of aging and creativity, consisting of 25 portraits and written profiles of artists over 65. Read more
This project was successfully funded on November 13, 2010.
About this project
I am seeking support to develop a project called Portrait of the Artist as an Old Man. The project will consist of creating approximately 25 portraits and written profiles of working artists over the age of 65. There will be a particular emphasis on conveying their aging and how it has changed (or not changed) their creative process. I will identify, paint and interview a diverse group of artists: men and women of different races, working in a variety of mediums and styles, living in different parts of the USA and in different countries. Both well-known and unknown artists will be sought out.
Specific work to be completed will be:
• Identify artists 65 and older who I would be interested in including in the project. I anticipate that this will happen mainly through word of mouth, social networking, and informal research. It seems likely that I will need an initial list of 100 names to end up with 25 good profiles.
• Contact the artists, present the project and solicit their participation.
• Schedule and conduct interviews.
• Photograph and sketch the artist in preparation for doing the portrait.
Do background research to gain a deeper understanding of artists’ background and career.
• Create a portrait and written profile of the artist.
Documentation of the product will consist of:
• a bimonthly blog of the portraits and written profiles
• a culminating exhibition of the portraits
• an exhibition catalog
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
Pledge $1 or more and receive an acknowledgment on the "Portrait of the Artist as an Old Man" blog.
Pledge $10 or more
Pledge $10 or more and receive a personal invitation to the opening reception of the culminating event, likely to be held in Providence, Rhode Island in 2012.
Pledge $25 or more
Pledge $25 or more and receive monthly email updates on the progress of the project including images of and notes on works in progress.
Pledge $75 or more
Pledge 75 or more and receive a signed copy of the poster for the culminating exhibition.
Pledge $100 or more
Pledge $100 or more and receive a signed copy of the exhibition catalog containing all portraits and profiles.
Pledge $250 or more
Pledge $250 or more and your name will be entered in a drawing for a portrait commission ($1,000.00 value). John Kotula will sketch and photograph the winner and develop a multi-medium portrait approximately 19" X 24".
Pledge $500 or more
Pledge $500 or more and receive a giclee print approximately 19" X 24" of one of the portraits from the project. ($300 value).
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
Pledge $1,000 and John Kotula will do your portrait.
- (30 days)