In situations where snowshoes are too slow, split boards and removable skins are overkill, and XC skis are too cumbersome, Drift Boards provide the quickest and lightest solution for moving across snow. Whether you're looking to hit that cliff drop that's just a little too far for post-holing, grabbing a quick dose of powder before your Saturday chores, or taking your dog up the canyon for an hour after work, Drift Boards have you covered.
Drift Boards are excellent at breaking trail in deep snow. They hold an edge on slick traverses and fit perfectly in backcountry skin tracks. They glide like skis and they have the convenience of snowshoes. Drift has taken elements of skis, snowboards, and snowshoes to create a tool that fits into your quiver a lot like that pocketknife you carry because you know it’ll come in handy every day.
Drift boards are the brain child of a couple of snowboarders (who also happen to be composite engineers and designers) who looked at the current options and figured there has to be another way for snowboarders, or anyone else, to access the backcountry.
Benefits over split boards:
- Efficiency: Carry the weight of your snowboard on your back rather than your feet while climbing.
- Choice:Ride backcountry snow with any snowboard you choose.
- Convenience: No bindings to rotate, latches to unhook, or skins to install. Just strap your board to your pack on the way up and strap your Drift boards to your pack on the way down.
Benefits over snowshoes:
- Speed: The shape and permanent climbing skins allow you to glide rather than step.
- Agility: Drift board's narrower shape makes them much easier to move around in.
- Weight: Drift boards are lighter than many snowshoes.
Benefits over skis:
- Agility: Drift boards are much shorter than traditional skis and much easier to move around in without sacrificing speed while ascending or surface area to float.
- Weight: Carbon and aluminum construction makes Drifts boards much lighter than touring skis and even many cross country skis.
- Convenience: No need to install or remove climbing skins. Drift boards work with any soft boot (sorels, hiking boots, fat bike shoes, snowboard boot), and they fit in the trunk, backseat, or even your backpack.
- Ultra-lightweight carbon fiber construction handmade in the USA. (one pair weighs 3.75 lbs, less than 2 liters of water in your pack)
- Durable aluminum bindings that work with any boots
- Steep nose ramps and built-in skins for traction and glide
- Webbing straps and folding heel cup
- Heel riser bars with two height options
- Stainless steel hardware
- Dimensions 6.75" W x 35" L
The Drift Team is passionate about the outdoors and playing in the snow. We live by the mantra work hard, play hard. Together we share years of experience in the outdoor industry, composites engineering, design, and manufacturing. We can't wait to share Drift Boards with the world.
Risks and challenges
We are excited to launch Drift Boards and start a movement to redefine backcountry travel. There are risks involved in launching a new product. For example, there can be delays with getting materials from vendors, there are risks to starting manufacturing on a production level, there can shipping delays, etc. We have planned ahead to mitigate these risks as best as possible. We created multiple prototypes of the Drift Boards and tested them. We have a plan in place to scale production efficiently. The Drift team has experience bringing other outdoor products from concept to prototype to production. We also have contacts with multiple vendors to supply our materials. DRIFT boards are made out of carbon fiber that is handmade USA, ensuring the highest quality and best performance. Thanks for supporting the movement.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)