Better Box Art is a group of long-time video game lovers and entrepreneurs out of Portland, OR who, alongside a talented team of artists from across the country, believe that video game box art should be as unique and creative as the games they represent. Too often, video game covers are designed by marketing teams whose goal is to find the design which will sell best on store shelves. As a result, video game covers are too often generic, festooned with obnoxious marketing, or simply not a fair representation of the game.
The goal of Better Box Art is to provide cover art which captures every drop of creative vision that went into the game itself. Our covers are unique, personal, and are designed to look good on display.
The games we’ve chosen are among the most popular and beloved in recent years; games which inspire us and others creatively and, we think, deserve to have cover art which celebrates their aesthetic style.
The box art designed by our team of artists will be printed to industry standards and mailed directly to you, the customer.
As well, each of our designs will be available as 11”x17” posters. These, too, will be printed to the highest standards available and mailed directly to you. Lastly, a select few of our designs will be available as 9”x12” mouse pads.
Outside of paying for Kickstarter’s basic fees and covering the costs of reward fulfillment, the money raised from this Kickstarter will be used in the following ways:
- To cover the printing and manufacturing costs of our initial inventory
- To pay for a modest advertising campaign when we launch our website for public sale
- To cover the first three months of operating expenses
- To cover the first three months of shipping supplies
Every single dollar from the Kickstarter will be reinvested into Better Box Art, so that we can keep providing quality box art, posters and mousepads for a long time to come. With your help, we want to keep adding new designs to our inventory and to continue making incredible covers for games which deserve better than the bland art they initially received.
- $1 tier - Yes, even a dollar gets you something. First off, you will receive a pdf download of a Kickstarter exclusive “Thank You” cover for you to print at home and display, if you so choose. This cover says a more detailed “thank you” message than we can post here and indicates to everyone who sees it that you’re a cool person who supports cool projects like this. As well, you’ll be given access to our project updates, which will give you notices as we get closer and closer reaching our goal.
- $5 tier - For five dollars, you will receive any one cover offered in this campaign, for your chosen system. You can get more covers that you like by simply adding five dollars to your pledge for each additional cover. For example, if you want three different cover designs, simply pledge fifteen dollars and choose this reward tier. Additionally, you will receive a printed copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover detailed in the $1 tier.
- $10 tier - For ten dollars, you will receive any one poster offered in this campaign. Like the $5 tier, if you would like more posters, simply pledge an additional ten dollars per poster and select this tier. Also like the $5 tier, we will ship a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover along with your order.
- $16 tier - I think you may start seeing a pattern here. For sixteen dollars, you receive any one mousepad offered in this campaign. Please refer to earlier in this page for a breakdown of which designs are offered as mousepads. For more mousepads, simply pledge an additional sixteen dollars for each mousepad and select this tier. Additionally, we will ship a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover along with your order.
- $20 tier - For twenty dollars, you will receive one cover offered in this campaign, for your chosen system, and one mouse pad offered in this campaign. They can both be from the same design or they can be different, it’s up to you. This tier saves you one dollar off of pledging the $5 tier and the $16 tier. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover.
- $25 tier - Twenty-five dollars gets you two covers offered in this campaign, for your chosen system (or systems), and two posters of you choice. Like the $20 tier, you can choose to have the posters and the covers be of the same design or they can be different. It’s up to you. This tier saves you five dollars over getting them individually. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover.
- $40 tier - You receive all the covers! For a forty dollar pledge, you will receive one of each of the designs offered in this campaign. All of them. You get to choose the systems. This tier saves you ten dollars off of getting them individually. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover.
- $60 tier - You receive all the mouse pads! For the man or lady who needs many mousepads. Many, many mousepads. For a sixty dollar pledge, you will receive all four of the mouse pads offered by this campaign. This tier saves you four dollars off of getting them individually. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover.
- $80 tier - You receive all the posters! If you have a lot of wall space, this is the tier for you. For eighty dollars, you will receive all ten of the posters offered by this campaign. This tier saves you twenty(!) dollars off of getting them individually. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover.
- $175 tier - You get everything! Everything! Every... thing. For one-hundred and seventy-five dollars, you get one of every mouse pad in this campaign, one of every poster in this campaign, and one of every cover in this campaign, of the systems of your choice. This tier saves you nearly FORTY dollars off of getting all of them individually. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover and a personal, hand-written letter from us.
- $250 tier - What’s your favorite game? Does it have crummy cover art? For two-hundred and fifty dollars, you tell us what game you want a Better Box Art cover for and, so long as the game is from the sixth generation (PS2/ Gamecube/ Xbox/ Dreamcast) or later, we get an artist making it immediately. You get the first poster and cover ever printed, both hand-signed and dated by the artist. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover and a personal, hand-written letter from us.
- $400 tier - You want everything and more? Sure! For four-hundred dollars, you get everything offered in the $175 tier and the $250 tier. Additionally, all everything you receive will be signed and dated by the artist. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover and a personal, hand-written letter from us.
- $500 tier - You get one of everything, just like in the $175 tier. But, it gets better. Each and every one of the covers, posters, and mouse pads you receive will be signed and dated by their respective artists and you will receive, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, one signed and dated copy of of every cover that we print, as they are released. Wanna be a life-long fan of quality cover art? This is the tier for you. You also receive a copy of the KS-exclusive “Thank You” cover and a personal, hand-written letter from us.
BETTER BOX ART in the press
Interested in covering Better Box Art on your news outlet? Contact our Director of Operations at email@example.com for a press kit.
Risks and challenges
The typical challenges for most Kickstarter campaigns revolve around producing enough product to support reward fulfillment. Thankfully, our rewards can be produced and shipped quickly, and we’ve done our legwork to ensure we know how to do it successfully. Plus, we’ve allotted time post-campaign to dedicate to reward fulfillment. This time is slotted for before our store goes up for general sales. That way, we ensure that everyone, our Kickstarter backers and our general customers, aren't stuck waiting for product to arrive.
That said, those whose tiers include signed and dated copies of anything may have to wait just a little bit longer for their rewards to arrive, as the logistics of printing everything, having them sent out to artists to be signed, having them sent back to Portland for packaging, and then being sent out to their final destination, necessitates a little extra time.
Lastly, any small business owner (especially those operating online) knows that getting a business started is only half the battle. After that, we need to ensure that Better Box Art grows and that more people get to hear about the amazing covers our artists are making. This can be a big challenge but, thankfully, we have a remarkably talented and intelligent Marketing Director (me!) who has all the tools necessary to get us there.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)