LAST DAY! Why should specialty teas be just for hot tea drinkers? We don't think it should be. Just $3 gets you some great iced tea.
Hey y'all. I'm Frank. I'm the guy behind Southern Boy Teas. I am a southern boy. I grew up in Alabama and Tennessee, and graduated from Robert E. Lee High School in Huntsville, Alabama. [Only place in the world where they name a high school after a defeated general.]
Anyway, iced tea holds a special place in my heart. It's why I got into the tea business (that and the fact that I really hate accounting). My Southern Boy Teas are specifically made for iced teas. I use only the best high-grown organic Indian black teas and organic flavors. In fact, that's all I put in our teas. Check out the ingredients on our label and see for yourself.
But speaking of flavors, I love creating new and fun flavors. Here's just a few of the flavors we have:
We've been selling these teas online for some time now and you can visit our website at www.southernboyteas.com to read some of the nice things folks have been saying about these teas.
What we're trying to do
I imagine this would be an important bit of information to share with you.
The thing is, our teas are blended by hand. We measure, fill and seal the teabags by hand, then we label, stuff and seal the outside pouch by hand. Well, that's part of what makes us unique, but I wouldn't mind speeding up the process a little where we can. So I found this machine the other day that would help us quickly apply labels to the pouches, which would speed things up a bit for us. So we're trying to raise $500 to buy the label applicator machine.
Of course, if we go over our goal, I have some other ideas for things I'd like to do to speed up our process or otherwise help us get our iced teas into more people's hands. We'll post stretch goals here if we exceed our goal.
What you get
For as little as $3, you get to choose one of our iced tea flavors to receive. We'll ship it to you anywhere in the world. Our teas come in convenient 2-quart teabags, one per package to preserve optimum freshness. Most folks find they can re-steep one of our teabags to get a full gallon of tea out of each one.
We only need 167 people to contribute $3 and get a cool iced flavor in the mail for us to reach our goal, but if you want more than one of our iced teas (and who wouldn't?), you can get four for $10 or ten for $25. Or, if you want to do something really cool, you can contribute $75 ($50 if you get in on the early bird discount), get ten teas and the opportunity to give me a new flavor to create. You want a peanut butter and jelly tea? A chocolate eclair tea? Maybe a bacon marshmallow banana tea? You just tell me what it is and I'll do my best to make it. (I reserve the right to refund your money if you ask for something I just CAN'T make, but I think I should be able to accommodate most requests--I've been at this a while.) How cool is that?
If you're looking for a cool gift idea, you can also sign up for a subscription and get four iced teas (two each of two different flavors) every month for six or 12 months beginning in December.
Our 12 Iced Teas of Christmas Gift set includes 12 mystery iced teas (all unique), one for each day from December 14-December 25. Each iced tea has a date on it telling you when you can scratch and reveal the flavor of the tea. These are going to make really fun Christmas presents!
Just so it's not just me saying our teas are great, I grabbed a handful of reviews written by our customers to share:
• YEAH! BABY! Razzleberry, I love you. You are the best flavored iced tea I have ever had.
• Just offered hubby some more of the tea. He points out the most gigantic drinking glass we own, now empty, but apparently moments ago filled with this tea. I guess I better order some more quickly!
• My daughter made both the Sherbert and Razzleberry Iced Teas and shared them with me. I absolutely love them both! They are probably my favorite for iced tea so far. The flavor is excellent and natural tasting ( not artificial at all) The base tea is perfect as well! Both these teas are very refreshing especially during this heat wave we are having! I will definitely buy more of these iced teas and actually want to try a few others after tasting these
• This one is another stunner…. It’s delicious — sweet, sugary, airy cotton candy goodness. It smells strongly of cotton candy, it tastes strongly of cotton candy. Once again, the black base is detectable, but it just seems to enhance and support the flavouring rather than mask it in any way. I have no idea how Frank achieves these extraordinary flavouring feats. What I do know is that, as iced tea goes, these are unbeatable. Yum yum yum is about the most coherent thing I can say about this right now. Please excuse me while I go and drink some more.
• It won't last. You'll drink it all. We drank up the last of the rainbow sherbet and I made this. Have you ever had a taste of something and just stared for a moment, not at anything in particular, but just thinking to yourself, what is happening on my tongue, and why is it so wonderful? I get the feeling I should expect this from Frank's teas. "Wonder what -this- tea tastes like!" It tastes like exactly what it says it is, but more delicious than you hoped. I steeped this one a little long and don't regret it. I found the flavor intense in a good way and it really does taste like cotton candy. The smell in the package is very mild, but the flavor comes out well. I shared some with my family and they were impressed. I'm sneaking some into work tomorrow to share with my coworkers, and I don't expect any to be left when I get home, so I better order more. This would be perfect any fanciful party or event.
• It's off to the fair we go! Take a pitcher of ice tea and that big beautiful cone of flossy spun deliciousness; aka Cotton Candy and combine (minus the cone of course). That is what I imagine when I drink this tea. A new addiction for sure, especially when brown rock sugar is added during the steep…. I just bought a whole bunch more. LOVE IT!
• I was a bit of a doubter at first, because I didn’t see how tea could taste of ice cream or sherbet, jello or bubblegum. Somehow, though, they do. This one is no exception, and it’s another all-round great taste experience. I will definitely, definitely be buying more or these. They’re just too good to miss!
• The first word that came to mind (after the expletives, haha) was whoa. This tea is soooo creamy. Tangy, fruity, and creamy, just like sherbet. I’m pretty weird in that I don’t actually like ice cream/sherbet/sorbets because a lot of the time its too sweet. Also I prefer to drink cold things, not eat them, and I don’t necessarily find milky things to be that refreshing when the weather is hot. I’m a right ball of fun, I know. So that this manages to somehow sidestep all of my ridiculous criteria is pretty miraculous. It’s got a creamy full texture which tea usually just doesn’t have on it’s own. The only way I get this texture in tea normally is by adding milk, but iced tea is not something you can add milk to (Ew. just the thought of that…) It tastes like ice cream without being ice cream. And I’m drinking it on its own, without a meal – it’s like dessert! Um, LOVE. I hope I can get another 2 quarts out of this… but even if not I just went ahead and put one of each of the SBT iced tea flavors in a shopping cart because MY MOUTH IS SO HAPPY.
• "Each individually packaged teabag will yield 2-quarts... of the best iced tea you've ever had." Don't doubt it. This is delicious, improbably delicious, and in fact the tastiest -and- the most interesting iced tea I've ever had. From the moment you open the package and smell it, to when you've got a cup, you'll just know. I brought some in for my coworkers to sample and it was a hit with them. Now everyone wants to know where I got it, but I'm not telling them until -after- I get my next paycheck... I didn't know how strong the rainbow sherbet flavor would be, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it isn't so mild that you can't immediately taste it, or so overpowering that it no longer tastes like tea. It's just right, and the taste is spot-on.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Clearly the biggest risk here is keeping up with demand if we get a LOT of orders. I mean, that's why we're doing this is to get a machine that will help speed up our process a little bit. If we get overwhelmed with contributions (particularly at the create your own tea flavor level), we will do everything we can to get all of the rewards out on time and we'll definitely keep you informed of any delays.
We intend to offer our contributors a choice of all of our past and present blends (we're re-blending some of the teas that are currently sold out as we speak). You can see all of them (including some reviews) at http://www.zoomdweebies.com/Southern-Boy-Teas-Iced-Teas_c_20.html (Note the page navigation at the bottom). The flavors are:
Monkey Fart (Banana)
Neapolitan Ice Cream
Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish
Coconut Cream Pie
Key Lime Cheesecake
Stretch Goal #2 Bonus Blend: Cherry Limeade
Stretch Goal #4 Bonus Blend: Mountain Dew-like, non infringing tribute tea.
Stretch Goal #6 Bonus Blend: Pumpkin Pie Crepe with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce
Stretch Goal #8 Bonus Blend: Pina Colada
Stretch Goal #10 Bonus Blend: Whiskey Cola
Stretch Goal #12 Bonus Blend: Almond Milk
Stretch Goal #14 Bonus Blend: Orange Creamsicle
Stretch Goal #16 Bonus Blend: Honey Ginger
At this writing, it appears we will be adding at LEAST one new flavor to this according to our stretch goal rewards, and possibly more. And of course, there are rewards that will allow you to create your very own flavor as well. And some of THOSE flavors may be made available to everyone to choose from.
I'm so glad you asked. I just put a new page on our website with detailed instructions and tips. I tried not to ramble on too much, but it's really worth a read. Please check it out here: http://www.southernboyteas.com/how-to-prepare-our-teas
We do blend green teas and white teas and oolongs and puerhs and herbal teas of all sorts as loose teas, but I haven't found the right green or white teas for iced teas just yet. Though after hearing from some of you, that is definitely something I'm going to have to look into.
The plan is to ship these out as soon as possible after the campaign ends. I'll be sending out surveys to find out what flavors you want in your assortment and as soon as I get those back, I'm planning to ship them out. I'm not sure if that leaves enough time for the USPS to get these to everyone out of the country on time or not, but it SHOULD be plenty of time for those in the US to get their tea in time for the holidays.
If you are extra concerned about it, you can also order our teas through our website: www.zoomdweebies.com