Who we are & what we're doing on here:
The two of us met online a few years ago, probably on Tumblr but maybe on Instagram and it was buds at first sight. We both have a background in fashion design (Stina went to Seneca College and Amarina studied at George Brown) and we also share a growing apathy towards mainstream media. Fashion magazines continue to exclude so many diverse and fantastic stylish folks while repeatedly highlighting the same small group of trendy people and celebrities.
We created BUSH, a fashion + lifestyle magazine focusing on up and coming style makers of all genders, bodies, and backgrounds. BUSH is published bi-annually in print and will also be available in pdf format.
*Quick but important note: we want to acknowledge the limited diversity in our video, it was created with images of our previous work in the plus-size fashion industry and want to emphasize that BUSH Magazine is an inclusive space.
- BUSH will be approximately 50 pages
- It's a fun digest size (9" x 6")
- Retail price will be around $12
First and foremost we are inspired by unique street style - the people who are creating trends instead of following them and especially those who are out there doing their own thing.
We like to read current and past issues of Sassy Magazine, Worn Fashion Journal, Rookie, Bust Magazine, Nylon and Jane.
What we're going to do with your contributions:
- 45% - Printing and Shipping: by far the biggest chunk of the money will go towards getting physical copies of BUSH Magazine in our hands so we can ship them out to you and other fashion lovers around the world.
- 20% - Contributor Honorariums: As artists, we understand the value of creative work and are going to offer some compensation to the individuals who photographed and modeled for the editorial shoots as well as those who have submitted written pieces. If we exceed our base goal we will be able to split some of that money among the contributors for this issue!
- 10% - Marketing: We're going to be participating in a couple of events this summer, selling BUSH Magazine IRL and there are always fees to rent a table. This is an effective way to get face-to-face with our potential readership and we're excited to announce that BUSH will be launching in July! We're also making stickers featuring the artists who contributed to Issue One.
- 15% - The Next Issue: Because we'll sleep when we're dead, we'll be starting work on the next issue as soon as we wrap the production on Issue One. The designated money will go towards creating press kits and advertising packages so we can ensure that BUSH is sustainable in the future.
- 10% - Kickstarter Fees: Straight up, Kickstarter takes a chunk of the donations so they can keep doing what their doing, plus a small percentage will be going towards Paypal fees.
We are so grateful that you are considering donating to this project and have come up with some fun rewards to show y'all that we care.
- Anyone who donates $5 or more will receive a .pdf copy of Issue One of BUSH Magazine that they can browse on their computer or mobile device.
- A contribution of $10 or more includes the .pdf plus a limited edition sticker sheet or two featuring images from the artists that are in Issue One.
- If you can spare $20 or more you'll get the .pdf, all of the stickers, and a print copy of Issue One of BUSH Magazine as soon as we get it in our hot little hands.
- At $50, you'll get a ton of stuff: the .pdf, a bunch of stickers, a one-year subscription to BUSH Magazine (2 issues), plus a thank you shout out in Issue One!
- Look, if you're into contributing $100 or more, you are a saint and you will have our forever gratitude. You will also get all of the previously mentioned reward awesomeness plus a BUSH tote and tee screen-printed by us! We'll update with the specific images as soon as they're ready.
Risks and challenges
For this project, many of the challenges have already been met head on and surpassed. We are lucky to have a small crew of diversely talented arty people around us who have helped get this all together and offered advice. We are also a part of an online community of body positive, strong, cool weirdos that said yes when we asked them to participate and contribute.
Finding the right printer for BUSH was more challenging than we expected but we eventually settled on a small company in the U.S. The potential setback that we could face in completing this project is having a delay in printing or needing to re-do a print job. We've done all of the research and taken every precaution to ensure that we've gone with a reputable company. We are confident that even if we have issues with printing BUSH it will be dealt with in a timely manner.
We are two self-employed women in the fashion industry and are used to coming up with creative solutions on the fly and on the cheap, we've got this!
Thanks for checking us out, if you have any questions, comments, or feedback let us know! xoLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)