Mooi Honey is heart-working honey that aims to cut out the middle-man so we can bring you premium pure New Zealand made Manuka honey at an affordable price.
We are offering our backers a selection of honey sweet rewards in jars of UMF10+ pure New Zealand Manuka Honey if our kickstarter target is reached and this offer extends globally because we believe premium quality honey should be readily available anywhere in the world without the hefty price tag.
Our honey is locally produced just outside of Auckland, New Zealand and handled by us from start to finish.
We are a small business with big (and sweet!) dreams and we hope you can be a part of this exciting journey.
Note: As UMF certification is a costly process (just getting certified alone for a company costs upwards of $40,000! And we are also charged PER KG UMF export thereafter), we have decided to go ahead with the project for now without the certificate.
What this means is that:
- Our honey is STILL UMF10+ quality (without the piece of paper AND THE PRICETAG)
- Our honey will be packaged with the equivalent MGO label (this link: https://export-x.com/2014/05/29/manuka-honey-mgo-umf-ratings-compared/ is a really helpful guide for UMF to MGO conversion)
- Our UMF10+ honey will be labelled MGO 263
- We plan to get the UMF certificate in the near future (once this kickstarter gets off the ground) so that our honey can be easily identified and labelled
Risks and challenges
Our initial challenges include meeting the budget to create out first batch of honey which has brought us to Kickstarter.
Other challenges include:
- international export laws for foodstuffs
- weight-based shipping costs
- appropriate warehousing space for storing honey
- getting UMF certification for our company and not through the manufacturer, this will cost upwards of $40, 000 and applies to each KG of honey thereafter; this will be phase 2
- generating enough income in our first year of business to work on this project full-time
- (30 days)