Shellback Smart Phone Safe
Shellback Smart Phone Safe
The Smart Phone Safe eliminates driver distraction caused by cell phones. Trust, but verify, that the phone is stored out of sight.
The Smart Phone Safe eliminates driver distraction caused by cell phones. Trust, but verify, that the phone is stored out of sight. Read more
Distracted driving causes over 1.6 million accidents per year. All too often, young drivers are involved.
We believe that the best way to reduce accidents caused by distracted driving is to eliminate the temptation to look at the cell phone. The Shellback Smartphone Safe confirms in real time that the phone is out-of-sight.
Buy a Smartphone Safe now and become a safer driver!
It is no secret that distracted drivers are causing thousands of unnecessary deaths and millions of accidents every year because drivers are taking their eyes off the road to look at their cell phones for text messages, social media updates, and videos.
A recent AT&T survey reports that 98% of drivers agree that texting and driving is a very dangerous habit, but 49% of the same respondents also admitted that they still sent texts, checked social media sites and/or talked on their phones while driving.
Faced with this real world problem, brothers Michael and Thomas Maguire decided to solve it. Both brothers have experience managing fleets or salespeople who drive in their territories every day. Tom has two teenage sons - one that recently received his driver's license and another who will start driver's education soon.
Their simple solution is an intelligent cell phone case that allows drivers to store their cell phones out-of-sight inside a Shellback "Smartphone Safe" and removes the urge to check their cell phone screens while driving.
The Smartphone Safe connects to your smartphone over a Bluetooth connection. It confirms the phone is out-of-sight (the phone goes in the case), reports on device usage in real time (you will know if the case is opened or closed), and tracks data and presents it in a useful way (Cloud-based SQL database and dashboards.)
Once you connect the Smartphone Safe to your phone, the App continuously monitors your phone status and lets you know when the phone is removed from the case.
Smartphone Safe Compliance Reporting
- Not following the rules? - The Smartphone Safe sends out an immediate alert when a driver decides to take the phone out of the case when driving. This data allows you to take action before an accident happens.
- Two phones? - The Smartphone Safe can handle multiple phones. Our patented technology determines the exact phone or phones that should be in the case and notifies the driver that the phones are now safely stored for safe driving. This could be helpful for those of us that have both a work and personal phone.
- Minimal Data Usage - The Smartphone Safe App utilizes minimal data to track both the speed and location of the driver. All data is tracked in the cloud and only alerts due to unsafe conditions are pushed out.
- Battery Technology - The Smartphone Safe comes with a fully rechargeable battery that will last up to 40 hours per charge with average use.
- The Case - The Smartphone Safe is made of rugged materials and guaranteed for one year. It is dust-proof and water splash proof. Integrated lights and audible alerts indicate when it is safe to drive.
- The Software - All activity is tracked in real time and uploaded to our cloud-based server. Data is stored in a SQL database and converted to simple to use dashboards. Alerts are sent directly to our clients via SMS text or email. The Smartphone Safe sends out an immediate alert when a driver decides to take the phone out of the case when driving. This data allows you to take action before an accident happens.
Risks and challenges
We have spent the last two years developing the Smartphone Safe in a methodical and proven way. We will continue to do so and we ask for your patience as we complete this process. A quick history of our product development started when we defined our specific goal in quantifiable units (requirements document) and developed a solid design (conceptual design) consisting of a documented, high-level, well-conceived technology plan for implementing our product that, when carefully compared against the requirements, defines the optimum approach to meeting those requirements. Working with our tenacious engineering firm, we then translated the high‐level conceptual design into engineering documentation (detailed design) and, subsequently, working units defined by that documentation. This documentation includes schematics, source code, CAD files, assembly drawing, Bills of Material, etc. Next we built multiple units for comprehensive testing (design testing). Our units were tested against the criteria specified in our Requirements Document to confirm that they meet all of our objectives. It was quite a victory when our prototypes met all requirements. Market validation was obtained which allowed Tom & I to move into the production phase.
This is where your patience comes in. The biggest challenge we see on the horizon is ensuring we get the final phases of the product development process right through proper pre-manufacturing testing. This is critical for proper manufacturing. We have spent the time and effort upfront to ensure all requirements have been thoroughly tested and reviewed. We know that even the best design effort is useless if the product cannot be manufactured correctly. Many projects have been "thrown over the wall" between engineering and manufacturing to get the product into production and sent to backers. This is a common failure of startups and we will not make that mistake.
Tom & I have planned for the orderly transfer of information from engineering to manufacturing as a necessary and normal part of the development process. This helps to guard against the urge to speed up production. By insisting on a methodical, systematic transition plan and resisting the temptation to skip steps, we put ourselves in the best position to deliver a high quality product. We will meet this challenge by cutting no corners and building this right the first time. We have partnered with a like-minded engineering firm to make sure all of the final documentation is used to source, fabricate, assemble, test, and qualify our new Smartphone Safes in a production environment. Consequently, this time will be utilized for the development and manufacturing teams to work in concert to conduct a final vetting of every aspect of the production. Catching issues at this early stage of manufacturing reduces quality issues and ensures a quality supply of Smartphone Safes while eliminating costly field failures or returns.
In the end - making sure each backer gets the high quality Smartphone Safe they want - and deserve - is our main goal. We are committed to this and appreciate your support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)