The Jolly Roger Telephone Co.
The Jolly Roger Telephone Co.
Tired of telemarketers? Now you can turn the tables on them with this clever bot.
Tired of telemarketers? Now you can turn the tables on them with this clever bot. Read more
About this project
***Now available in UK! (Click here for instructions)
Tired of telemarketers calling your landline or mobile? I'm sorry to say, they will never, ever stop. And no amount of screaming "take me off your list", or "he doesn't live here", or "I will never buy your product" will make these calls go away.
But now there is a way to fight back. The Jolly Roger Telephone Co. provides a friendly, agreeable, patient robot that talks to these rude telemarketers for you. It is happy to chat, and will typically keep an unwary salesperson engaged for several minutes.
These merciless organizations have technology on their side with robotic auto-dialers, robotic soundboards, and an array of other tools ...but they have no morals. Their weak spot is that they need human agents to talk to you when you answer. So the only way to stop this intrusive industry is waste their precious human resource - to hit them in the cost of labor. Now by subscribing to the Jolly Roger Telephone Co. you can get revenge!
In order to accomplish this, we need to build the infrastructure to allow "Us" - the consumers - to fight back. We need telephone systems, we need telephone numbers, and we need to pay pretty big phone bills to the carriers.
We are asking for funding to build the first version of a consumer-friendly monthly service so you can take back your telephone and return to a time when your phone was for you and your friends.
What will the product be?
Version one is a subscription service. Here's how it works:
- You register for the service at our Jolly Roger web site and provide your email address and one or more telephone numbers you will be calling from.
- You will be given a list of numbers for different robots (in different accents, different voices, different inane comments, male/female, etc.)
- When an annoying telemarketer calls you, transfer them to one of our phone numbers (your favorite Jolly Roger Telephone bot). This bot will keep your telemarketer engaged as long as it can while you continue with your fun.
- When the call is complete, you will automatically be emailed a link to the recording and any other information we have been able to gather about who is calling.
- You will access the Jolly Roger Telephone web site to manage your account, review calls, download or share recordings, and a variety of other fun options.
Version 2 of the service will expand upon Version 1 to include the following:
- You will be able to automatically forward your calls to Jolly Roger Telephone.
- It will act as a call screener - automatically detecting telemarketers and sending them to your favorite robot but letting your friends and family get through to you or leave a message.
- Just like any other answering machine ("voicemail" to the rest of you), you will be given the opportunity to record your own voice as the voice of the robot.
- Does your robot work really well? Share it with the Jolly Roger community and have it take calls for other telemarketers. We will maintain a leader-board of which robots are working best at wasting telemarketers time.
- Enhanced information about who the telemarketers were and what they were calling about will be made available on our web site.
Here is a quick breakdown of how the funding will be used:
- $12k for Legal and Professional Services
- $12K to complete Development
- $22K for Operations
We have a prototype up and running now where you can send your calls to our bot.
Risks and challenges
As with any innovative technology project there are potential difficulties with scaling service offerings in a reliable and expedient manner, so we do expect to work hard to build and scale the infrastructure.
Our major risk is that at some point the established business interests in the Outbound Telemarketing industry notice the impact of our offerings and begin to fight back either by technical or legal means.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (25 days)