Update: August 5th 2013
OMG! Thank you SO MUCH for helping me reach my Kickstarter goal for the production of my new album. I'm speechless… and that rarely happens! It's unbelievable that in just 18 days, my friends rallied together and paved the way to make this dream come true. THANK YOU!
As noted in my original Kickstarter bio (below), there are a number of expenses that are not factored into the initial goal, but will further the success of the album. These are things like the making of a music video, PR for the first single, and a small budget for marketing and touring expenses etc.
With a few days left in the campaign, additional pledges are needed to cover some of these things. I'm beyond excited that I'll actually be creating my definitive album…your continued support will assist greatly in getting it out there!
Thank you again for all you have done so far. You have no idea how much it means to me!
With immense gratitude and love…
Hi there! My name is David Raleigh. I'm a singer, songwriter and entertainer, and I'm so excited to be recording my fourth studio album. Actually, I'm crazy excited about this project because, unlike my previous three CDs, this one will be a compilation of songs (both originals and classics) that truly define me as an artist — no compromise in quality, no "filler tracks", and no apologies for the timeless piano/vocal style I've come to own. For as long as I can remember, I've dreamed of creating an album that celebrates my love of honest, soulful music, and I truly feel this next record will do just that.
Here's the deal. I have 30 days to raise $18,900 in order to accomplish this project. Many of you have followed my career over the years and have watched me evolve — from solo piano, piano/vocalist, band leader, frontman, to solo artist. Perhaps I've been fortunate to have played or sung at your wedding, your birthday, your family event, or your corporate function. Then again, maybe our paths crossed while performing at one of many venues around the world — or, more than likely, out and about at a bar afterwards! Wherever we've met (and even if we haven't yet!), I'm incredibly grateful for each and every opportunity I've had to connect with so many amazing people, be it past, present or future.
So, I'm asking for your help in two important ways. One of them is, of course, financially. Every little donation will make this monumental plan actually come to life. Secondly, it would mean so much if you could forward this on to any of your friends and family that you think would like to come along for the ride — especially via Facebook and Twitter! Either way, however you're able to help out, your consideration and/or support of this project really means the world. So, in advance — thank you.
Kickstarter has come up with an incredible way for fans and independent artists like myself to partner in the making of a record. The great thing about being an independent artist is that you get to have creative freedom and make the music that inspires you most. The difficulty of being an independent artist is that you have to fund every project yourself, including all of the marketing and promotion, and it can be ridiculously expensive to do.
I love the concept of involving YOU in the complete process, instead of waiting until the album is finished to share it with you. I want to give my supporters, friends, and family the opportunity to jump in with me from the beginning and make this project — one of my wildest dreams — to become a reality.
You're probably wondering: why $18,900? Good question. I know it seems like a lot of money, but it's actually the minimum amount we need to see this project through from start to finish.
Here is a breakdown of what the $18,900 will cover:
• Professional recording studio time at Studios 301, Sydney* (with grand piano, 1 day at $1500)
• Engineer and assistant engineer at Studios 301 — $500
• Professional drum and guitar/bass tracks — $3000 (3 players at $1000)
• Professional live string section (Quartet, with multiple passes) — $1800
• Professional live brass section (Three piece, with multiple passes) — $900
• Professional mixing at Purgatory Studios, Florida (discounted rate) — $7200 ($600 x 12 tracks)
• Mastering at Sony Music Entertainment, NYC (flat rate) — $1500
• CD duplication with DiskMakers, 1000 initial copies with digipack and full color layout — $2500
Here's what the money WON'T cover:
• The countless hours of time and home studio work donated by my producer, Nathan Leigh Jones — quite honestly, this in itself would be valued at over $18,900 alone
• Arrangements of string and brass charts — I'll be doing these in collaboration with Nathan
• The photo shoot (director, photographer, lighting and stylist), thanks to some generous and talented friends
• Artwork layout — a wonderful graphic designer friend is happy to go unpaid on this job!
• Flights from NYC to Sydney — I'll pay for those myself with gigs… or beg Qantas for a sponsorship… LOL!
As you can see, there are significant expenses that need to be covered when producing a CD… and believe it or not, this really is a project on a shoestring budget, while still maintaining a quality product. If we somehow exceed the $18,900 (I can dream, can't I?!), all proceeds will go towards funding the tour, and the first music video!
Here's the clincher — in order for this CD to happen, we have to raise ALL of the money by the cut off date on Kickstarter, or we get NONE of it! Yep, it's pretty much ALL or NOTHING with Kickstarter. So, please bear in mind that if we don't reach the total amount by the deadline, you won't be charged what you have pledged. (You know we don't want that to happen though…!)
* Please note that my producer Nathan lives in Sydney, hence the need to travel. (I also may or may not be in love with Sydney and feel inspired when recording there!)
WHY THIS CD?
I have been a full time performer all my life, and have had the privilege of recording three really good albums that I am proud of. All these albums were made through the benevolence of kind and supportive friends, people I will remain thankful to for the rest of my life.
However, I don't feel that any of these albums were produced to the fullest of their potential. In retrospect, I can see a few reasons as to why this may have been the case.
• I was unsure of my own musical direction, trying to please others before staying true to my own vision
• The unscrupulousness of the people I trusted to work with me, who unfortunately charged a lot and delivered little
• Budget constraints that comprised the quality of the album (ie. fake pianos are much cheaper than real ones — but don't sound anywhere near as good!)
At the helm as producer will be Nathan Leigh Jones. His contacts include world renowned engineers, arrangers and musicians who have worked with the world's best Grammy award winning artists. Nathan produced and arranged my last album, Beginning Again — a record I am truly proud of. I had always wanted to record a "pop album", and Nathan was the amazingly talented man who brought that idea to life. More importantly, he is my friend, and I trust him completely to deliver a solid representation of who I am as a musician and a performer.
I'm confident that, for the first time in my career, this album will be an authentic representation of who David Raleigh, the singer/songwriter/piano player, really is. The fact that YOU (and Kickstarter) are making this possible just adds to the importance of this project for me — it simply inspires me to create the best thing I've ever done.
The good news — the songs are written. What's more, I think they are brilliant. The vast majority of the tunes were written together by me and Nathan over the past two years, and are now waiting to be heard! Here's a rough outline of the recording schedule:
• July 2013 — Pre-production
• August 2013 — Recording drum tracks and guitars (to rough piano/vocal tracks)
• September 2013 — Replacing rough piano/vocal tracks with amazing ones! Also recording all other instrumentation
• October 2013 — Final editing, getting ready to for mixing
• November 2013 — Mixing, mastering
• December 2013 — Manufacturing of albums, photo shoot, getting press and promotion ready
• January 2014 — First single!
• February / March 2014 — Album release and tour
So, we are ready. I am ready. The producer is ready. The musicians are ready, studio time is ready to be booked, and even the graphic designer has a concept, waiting and ready to go! Most importantly, the songs have been chosen and are in preparation for recording — all that is left to do is raise this money.
I am confident (nervous, but confident!) that we can make this happen together. Please take a look at the "incentives" I have created for you in exchange for your participation. (I believe "bribery" is the correct word… but let's just run with "incentives"!)
Quite seriously though — I'm so grateful for the many years of support you have given me. I'm very much looking forward to creating a spectacular album for you, your family and friends to enjoy for years to come. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your support of me, my life and my music.
Risks and challenges
The release date is not yet set in stone, but I am confident that the project will be finished by spring 2014.
If you have any questions, concerns or comments, please feel free to contact me directly at DRMUSICNYC@gmail.com.
I think I've presented my case. The songs are ready. The arrangements will be fantastic. The album will blow your mind. :)
I hope you'll support it. I hope you'll ask your friends and family to support it. I hope it will touch you. Who knows, maybe this will encourage you to stop waiting and do that thing you've always wanted to do! After all, life is short.
As I said earlier, it's either all or nothing here. So — please give what you can. Please spread the word. Let's do this together. — DRLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)