What is the PARLOR?
We are renovating an old milking parlor on our farm to create a multi-use space to host farm suppers, workshops, and seasonal food events. There are two rooms in the parlor. In the small room we plan to install a kitchen where we can create farm-to-table meals for crop mob volunteers, CSA members, and other friends of the farm. The kitchen will also function as a post-harvest space for the farm to process vegetables and eggs and create value-added products for market. The main room will be also multi-functional: a space to package produce for market, a gathering place for meals and educational workshops, and a venue for larger farm events and gatherings.
Mission of the PARLOR
- To serve meals highlighting Eightfold Farm products and other regional producers’ products
- To be a classroom and gathering space where passionate people can share knowledge, stories, and skills
- To create new networks of friends and food collaborators
- To create and share fresh, simple, and inventive cuisine
- To preserve classic food ways and start new food traditions
- To provide a space for folks to be inspired by and appreciate the beauty, history, and future of the region in which we live
What We Need Money For (and How You Can Help Us Kickstart the PARLOR!)
Phase 1 Renovations
We’ve already cleared the space of milking stalls, and we have acquired most of our kitchen needs (i.e. appliances, cookware, and dishware).
The next essential steps are:
- updated electric and plumbing (including a septic system)
- a new concrete floor/patio
- basic kitchen installation
- interior / exterior “face-lift” improvements
Our funding goal of $3,800 will cover the Phase 1 Renovation costs. We will be performing most of the renovations ourselves with the help of a contractor friend who will lead and coordinate the more technical aspects of the work.
Phase 2 Renovations
For it’s ultimate realization, the PARLOR will require:
- more extensive electrical work
- ceiling insulation
- screens and new window glazing
- a city water line
- Department of Agriculture certification
- additional counter and storage space
- an outdoor stage
- an outdoor wood-fired oven and smoker
- upgraded kitchen and canning equipment
- ceiling fans
- a video projector for presentations and screenings
How You Can Continue to Keep Up With the PARLOR’s Progress
We will be posting PARLOR updates on the Eightfold Farm and Parlor Room blogs. Come volunteer on the farm and we’ll feed you, or maybe we can collaborate on an workshop or event! The PARLOR promises to be the interaction point where YOU become part of the farm.
- (42 days)