The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher
A decor-friendly, best-in-class kitchen extinguisher CLICK HERE: http://fierllc.com/kickstarter.html
The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher
A decor-friendly, best-in-class kitchen extinguisher CLICK HERE: http://fierllc.com/kickstarter.html
Thank you for your interest!!
Our pre-campaign is over. Please go to our website to sign up to be notified of our relaunch.http://fierllc.com/kickstarter.html
Residential fire is more dangerous today than ever. It is nearly 10 times faster than even 30 years ago. And yet we fight it with old tools and old thinking, designed to address those slower fires.
The fact is, today, you will have ZERO to 15 SECONDS to respond when you find a fire in your home.
You must be able to deploy your extinguisher in the moment you encounter the fire--where you encounter it. You will have no time to go find it.
The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher™ was built to answer this critical need for speed.
1) It is decor-friendly, so you will keep it out on the counter and in plain sight--no time wasted looking for, or going to fetch the fire extinguisher.
2) It takes just a fraction of a second to open the child-safe extinguisher--no wasted time wrestling the pin or clip, or mounting.
3) It is a simple and intuitive spray can--no need for any last minute review of the instructions on how to use the extinguisher.
4) It comes with free online FIER Extinguisher Training™ for each member of your household--no time/extinguisher wasted in incorrectly fighting the fire.
It Fits Your Decor; Your Style
The FIER Extinguisher™ line of extinguishers, once their core body shapes or types are created, can change their outer "skins" easily to accommodate preferences and tastes. For instance, the Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher™ can also be an Olive Oil Bottle FIER Extinguisher™ or a Balsamic Vinegar FIER Extinguisher™.
As a Backer, you can choose any of the three options pictured below. And some Backers will be able to customize their Bottle FIER Extinguisher to their own tastes and styles.
Stretch Goal Reward FIER Extinguisher body types:
Backing and a BONUS!
It Puts Out All Fires Common to a Kitchen
- Wood, trash, upholstery, curtains, carpet, etc (Class A)
- Appliances, outlet, and other electrical (Class C)
- Grease and cooking oil (Class K)
Product Comparisons and Testing
Almost all extinguishers, wet and dry, when used on a grease fire, will cause a FLARE, or sudden, initial enlargement of the fire. Wet more than dry. Here at FIER, we have tested numerous wet chemical extinguisher formulas on grease fires (9" fry pan half-filled with animal fat-based shortening, heated until 2 minutes after spontaneous ignition) and have settled on the one with the smallest flare, the fastest extinguishment (under 2 seconds) and zero relight. From what we tested, it is bar none the best kitchen extinguisher available.
NOTE: There are *no* dry chemical fire extinguishers that consistently put out (and keep out) grease or cooking oil fires because dry extinguishers do not have wetting or cooling agents. The hot grease fire put out with a dry chemical extinguisher will most likely spontaneously reignite--multiple times. This is why the NFPA, or National Fire Protection Association, recommends wet chemical extinguishers for kitchen fires.
NOTE 2: Kitchen fires represent 42% of all Residential Fires!
FIER Extinguisher Training™
Comes FREE with every FIER Extinguisher
- Rich Media Training—(how to use the FIER Extinguisher (open—twist, open—tab, tab prep/twist prep, operation, techniques, body positioning, situational training))
- Learning Assessment Tools (certify your whole family on your Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher!)
- Notification System (automatic notification of the expiration of your FIER Extinguisher(s))
FIER Safety Resources™
Supplemental, subscription based online services ($10/year)
Special, Exclusive FREE LIFETIME Subscription Offer only for Backers who "tag" or refer 5 friends!!! A $100 value. (This free bonus offer will never be offered outside of Kickstarter.)
- Traditional Extinguisher Training (pin tips, operation, techniques, precautions, maintenance, etc)
- Fire Assessment Training (what kind of fire are you facing, is it too big, how will it behave as you attack it? Etc.)
- Understanding Fire (easy to understand science of fire presentation)
- Fire Prevention Training (what are the leading causes of fire and how can you prevent each in your home)
- Preparedness Checklists (home fire prevention steps room-by-room, home fire safety equipment needed room-by-room, draw up and share escape plans, what to do after a fire, etc)
- Fire plan Creation and Distribution (escape routes, meeting place, advance plan, best practices in a fire, etc)
- Fire Insurance Review (understand your coverage, options, what's not covered, etc.)
- Fire Recovery Plan (who to call, preparing and accessing asset recovery lists (video), salvage do's and don'ts, legal, etc.)
- Notification System (notify of: traditional extinguisher maintenance, battery changes and routine tests for smoke detectors/alarms, when to have family fire drills, etc.)
Appliance Recall and Safety Alerts (know when your appliances are a danger to you--even if you did not register them with the manufacturer
- Special Offers (discounts and coupons for fire related products such as batteries, low heat LED lights, retardants, extinguishers, ladders, smoke detectors, disaster recovery, etc. Save hundreds of dollars)
News and Reviews (annual fire statistics, reviews on fire safety products, important research on fire safety, etc)
More (we will continue to add valuable services as needed)
Each of these items has incredible value. For example, in the News and Reviews you would learn that 38% of children do not wake up when the smoke alarm goes off--even if it is in their room!
Why Back The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher on Kickstater
It is the fastest extinguisher in the world! (And speed in a house fire is your very best friend.)
It is the only, truly décor-friendly extinguisher in the world!
It is the best-in-class kitchen extinguisher--and is not available in stores.
No other commercial entity in the fire safety world does as much to train and prepare you and your family for fire emergencies
It is part of a larger plan we call The FIER Proof Home™. The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher project works on all 7 objectives in our FIER Proof Home plan:
- Train, don’t just educate, on fire safety
- Speed up in-home fire reaction/response times
- Totally rethink all active and passive fire safety products (extinguishers, alarms, sprinklers, etc.)
- Stop fires before they start; slow them down and extinguish them after they start
- Eliminate heat and smoke in a fire
- Automate maintenance/reminders
- Make fire safety affordable
This larger plan has specific corporate impact objectives (see Mission). How well we grow our FIER Extinguisher business will determine, in part, how quickly we can get deeper into our FIER Proof Home plan!
How can Kickstarters help??
We need Kickstarters to help us do three critical things:
1) Pre-order your FIER Extinguisher, now. This will help us to:
- Pay for the extremely expensive molds for the plastic parts, and
- Create additional valuable credibility and momentum for the campaign
Remember, if you are not quite sure about backing us, do it anyway! You can cancel at any time during the campaign, and we will even remind our backers to "manage your pledge" before the campaign ends. Pledging reserves your limited access and reward discounts, gives you access to the Special Exclusive Offer for backers who promote our campaign by referring or tagging 5 friends--a lifetime subscription to the online FIER Safety Resources. The reason we would want you to pledge even if you might cancel later is simple: your pledge builds momentum and increases our exposure and helps to assure our success!
2) Promote our project to 5 specific friends who you feel strongly will be interested in The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher, by "tagging" them on Facebook or Twitter. When you receive your "Congratulations! You're a Backer" notice from Kickstarter after making your pledge, simply choose the blue [Share on Facebook] button and type a brief post about your backing The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher and then type (with the first letter capitalized) each name of the five friends you have carefully chosen and Facebook will bring up a selection menu of your Friends and you can then click on that name to "tag" them.
And remember, The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher is not available in stores! So, you just may be doing them a HUGE favor!
3) Participate in the design process. We need your valuable feedback to perfect our designs. So, fire away!
FIER LLC is not about fire products, but about fire safety.
With this FIER Extinguisher product, and several, subsequent non-conventional fire safety initiatives rolled out over the next decade, which we refer to as the FIER Proof Home, we aim to reduce USA residential fire . . . :
- incidence by 30% (from an estimated 12 million to 8.4 million annually),
- property damage by 50% (from $7 billion to $3.5 billion annually),
- injuries by 60% (from about 12,600 to 5,040 annually), and
- deaths by more than 80% (from about 2,700 to 540 annually).
What is wrong with the fire extinguishers already available on the market?
BIG PROBLEM # 1:
Most homeowners hide extinguishers in a cabinet or closet, because they are offensive to the décor. This leads to their:
*Forgetting where they put them*
Instant access to an extinguisher is critical!
Again, homeowners have, on average, just 30 seconds (http://www.ready.gov/home-fires) from ignition before the *house* is engaged. And only 2 minutes to flashover, which in most cases, means dramatic escalation of risk to people in the building and a likely total loss of the property. The time problem gets worse, as most fires burn for quite some time before homeowners become aware of them.
BIG PROBLEM # 2:
Because Homeowners hide their extinguishers, they forget to check them for pressure, maintenance, or expiration date. Consequently:
*Many home fire extinguishers don’t work!*
What a tragedy to have an extinguisher, know where it is, only to find it doesn’t work when you need it most!
BIG PROBLEM # 3:
Homeowners are not accustomed to drilling or training for fire.
*Many homeowners do not know how to use their fire extinguisher*
Having a working fire extinguisher in your hands, but not knowing how to use it is particularly dangerous. Because it will encourage the homeowner to stay in the fire zone in a futile effort—putting himself or herself at considerable risk.
IN FACT . . .
The US Fire Administration (FEMA) recommends . . . “only those trained in the proper use and maintenance of fire extinguishers consider using them” (See the red bar below.)
1. Fire extinguishers need to be an attractive part of every room's décor. This means:
- They are never hidden!
- They are handy and ready for use.
- They are seen and talked about, daily.
2. Fire extinguishers need to be as easy to use as a spray can—something consumers use every day.
3. Fire extinguishers need to link the homeowner to needed training:
- Access interactive multimedia fire safety training and learning assessment.
- Opt in to expiration warnings, set fire drill notices, fire preparation checklists, secure asset recovery services, advance plans for first responders, and more.
Put the FIER Extinguisher on the counter top!
- It is now a half second away from the #1 fire zone in the home
- It is easily reached and easily opened
- It is a conversation piece, not an eyesore.
- It is a spray can requiring no pressure checks or training on its operations (you still need training on situational awareness, firefighting tactics, and decision making in a fire emergency--which we provide for free to our FIER Extinguisher customers.)
Here is a better look at the Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher™!
The patents pending approach to the packaging of the FIER Extinguisher allows it to be welcomed décor in any room, in any season—even at Christmas time when the risk of home fires jumps 4 times.
There are three key elements to the product
"Extinguisher", “Body Type” and “Skin.”
The core extinguisher is our own build, based on a proven and tested fire suppressant formula not otherwise available on the market for homes. Depending on the target room for the FIER Extinguisher, we may private label other core extinguishers. We may or may not have to make changes to the nozzle, lithography, etc., to insure proper warnings are incorporated (after open) and that the extinguishing agent can be most efficiently delivered to a fire, all while still accommodating key decor-related design requirements.
While there is considerable investment to design, develop, test and manufacture a unique body type, there is very little cost in producing a new skin. So a “bottle” body type can have any number of skins or labels. In addition to a "wine" label, it might also have an “Olive Oil” or “Tequila” of "vanilla" label. We could even do an "empty cobalt blue glass" look. Or whatever!
The skins only need to comply with the measurements or “Die Lines” of each body type. They can even be digitally printed in small quantities for custom looks or to create proprietary product lines or custom decor matches.
Examples of Body Types
Examples of Skins
Die lines show the layout for perforations relative to the body type dimensions. Custom designs will need to be based on die line/dimensions of the chosen body type. One of the Rewards allows designers to make their own, custom FIER Extinguishers using our die lines!
One Reward option allows you to purchase just the skins which you can heat shrink onto your existing spray can fire extinguisher with a hairdryer/blow dryer. These are in standard appliance colors and "Textures". We have even designed several wood skins. You will need to perforate them yourself, as well.
What's on the Back?
Rather than extensive, bright colored, décor-offensive graphics and instructions on our FIER Extinguishers--which would serve little or no purpose because it is unnecessary to know how to operate the product (Its a spray can, for goodness' sake!) and too small of a space to train you effectively on various firefighting tactics--we offer a discrete QR code placed on the rear of each extinguisher.
When scanned, the customer is automatically connected to additional product information and the FIER Extinguisher Training:
1. FREE online video training and learning assessments for each member of their household,
2. FREE opt-in notification services via brief text, email or phone call, as they may choose, that warn of product expiration as a fail-safe in managing the expiration and keeping their FIER Extinguisher™ current.
The other non-decorative mark on the product is a high-contrast tab with an extinguisher icon on it which is connected to the perforated opening strip or “tab and tape” around the entire product at the base of the cap. This insures an easy opening in an emergency.
This prototype has exaggerated perforations for illustration
When you receive your Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher, you will want to cut as illustrated here in dashed-yellow to make the "tab" for the pull tab and tape. The majority of folks will be able to open the Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher without using the pull tab and tape by simply grabbing each side of the perforations and twisting sharply, each hand moving in counter directions. But you will want the tab cut just in case someone needs it.
The Manufacturing Process
- We have a partner manufacture our spray can fire extinguisher . . .
- We add our custom shaped cap . . .
- We put the canister in a base (if body type requires) . . .
- The skin is printed on a PVC plastic film and made into a sleeve . . .
- We then place the sleeve (skin) over the body assembly . . .
- And we run it through a steam tunnel to shrink the skin onto the body.
Current Status of the Project
We are just about ready to manufacture! We have prototypes completed (these preliminary models were necessary to insure die lines for the skins were accurate and that the core assembly processes would work well on existing production lines). We have lined up our supplier(s) for the extinguishers. We have lined up a plastics print house for printing the sleeves (skins). We have lined up an assembly house to put the caps and bases (if required) on the cans, install the skins and run them through the steam tunnel for shrinking onto the body.
We have also determined the best manufacturing approach for each plastic part and found an ideal early run mold maker/product maker. We have priced molds for each of our current designs.
What Needs to Be Done
1. We need to redesign the inside geometry of our prototype caps to be suitable for injection (or other molding) processes. This is needed to significantly reduce material used while maintaining durability.
2. We need to order molds. These are expensive. Without the backing we are requesting, this project is a non-starter! They can run between $8,000 and $30,000 for each part. Some FIER Extinguishers will require two parts, like the Vase FIER Extinguisher which has both a cap and a base.
The below image is an example of a cap mold for water bottles. Ours will be far larger (our caps are deeper and wider and more complicated in shape) and only accommodate two caps at a time:
3. We need to order plastic parts, extinguishers from our filler/supplier and the sleeves or skins our backers choose.
4. We need to produce the "Bottle" FIER Extinguisher training videos, web based learning assessment and registration/notification database application.
5. We then need to assemble and ship FIER Extinguishers to our backers!
Goal and Stretch Goals
We have to reach our goal or we do not get any of the money needed. Our first goal is to put our product in your kitchen--where the vast majority of residential fires start.
Allowing for $8000 (first mold for Wine Bottlw FIER Extinguisher) to come from product margins--so that the bulk of reward moneys can pay to produce the individual units, cover fees to Kickstarter and Amazon, and then ship units to our Kickstarters. To be precise, our initial costing studies show breakeven at 1591 units at $31,737.
From there, we can begin to work on our next (first stretch) goal, which is to put product in your bedroom and bathroom, the Vase FIER Extinguisher! And if we reach this goal all rewards can not only choose between Bottle FIER Extinguishers, but can substitute one or more of their reward extinguishers with a Vase FIER Extinguisher. And the same will hold true for the Nutcracker FIER Extinguisher--at that level all rewards can choose between these styles, even for custom orders.
The following was produced a little while back regarding potential goals. Obviously, our actual funding goal is only $2000 different. So, if the opportunity arises, we will finalize the stretch goals, but the preliminary calculations should be fairly accurate.
Valuable Feedback Already Received
In a prelaunch test of our Kickstarter, we got a good bit of feedback on our product, designs, and promotional messaging. All of it was invaluable! Thanks to all of you who contributed.
Here are a few of the comments:
- "Add an image or words saying it is a fire extinguisher." [DONE]
- "You could have two perforation lines to create at pull tab in case someone cannot twist it open." [DONE]
- "My family is anti-alcohol. Can you make a vinegar bottle version?" [DONE]
- "Add your web address to the packaging so we can get more information--besides, you have no branding anywhere on the product! That's poor marketing." [DONE--and true]
- "Can we just get the skins and do it ourselves?" [DONE]
We are shooting for a March 2015 delivery on all product rewards.
Christmas and Holiday cards with a picture of The Wine Bottle FIER Extinguisher (or one of the body/skin varients, can be sent for the special Reward intended as a gift and will arrive well before Christmas 2014. The actual product will follow in March 2015.
Risks and challenges
Honestly, if the project funding goal is met, there is very little risk, if any at all, of failure to complete and ship product. The costing was done fairly thoroughly, so we are unlikely to come up short.
Though quite a novel design, this is a rather straightforward manufacturing process with well-known and well-proven sub-processes Spray can filling, lithography, pvc plastic printing, injection molding, assembly and heat shrinking.
The only foreseeable risk in the project is possible delays due to the mold building/shipping timeline. Or if the project sells vigorously enough to move beyond the immediate capacity of our suppliers of the various core extinguisher and plastic parts, there may be some additional delay for later backers. All other processes in the project have replaceable or expandable resources so that they should not adversely impact scheduling and delivery regardless of volume.
Therefore, we will endeavor to serve first backers, first.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)