Fermentation is good for you!!
Did you know that lacto-fermented food can be MORE nutritious that regular food? The process of fermentation not only preserves some nutrients but it also makes others available to you that wouldn't otherwise be.
- Lacto-fermentation converts raw produce into healthier, much more easily digested, live-cultured foods.
- Fermentation is one of the original ways food was preserved for later use, allowing people to store food outside of refrigeration.
- Emerging studies suggest increasing your intake of fermented foods can help improve digestion, tune up your immune system and make you healthier overall. Some studies link the lack of good gut bacteria with everything from obesity to autism.
So why isn't everyone doing it?
There are several factors that keep most people from experimenting with lacto-fermented food:
- Space limitations
- Expense of fancy fermentation setups
- Fear of yucky yeast and mold growing on top
- Lack of knowledge on how to do it
- Unwillingness to have something 'smelly' in the house
- Not sure whether we like to eat fermented things or how to use them
The FARMcurious Fermenting Set with ReCAP solves all of those problems.
The lid fits onto any wide Mouth mason jar allowing you to make various sizes of ferments. The airlock systems allows carbon dioxide produced during fermentation to escape but it doesn’t let air from the environment in. This reduces the likelihood of mold, which is the number one turnoff for most people just beginning their fermentation journey. The cap also reduces that funky fermenting scent.
The FARMcurious Fermenting Set will help you:
- Ferment batches in standard wide-mouth Mason jars without risking explosion
- Minimize the risk of growing nasty yeast and mold in your fermented food
- Ferment smaller batches with more variety, allowing for more experimentation
- Avoid having to commit a large storage space to single-use bulky fermentation crocks
- Experiment more and explore more varieties of fermented yumminess
- Reduce off-putting funky fermenting smells
How to use the FARMcurious Fermenting Set:
Here’s how you use the set:
1) Cut up any produce you want and add it to any size wide-mouth Mason Jar
2) Mix 1 cup water with 1 TB salt and stir to dissolve; then pour it over the produce in the jar. Be sure to leave about an inch between the top of the brine and the rim of the jar.
3) Add plain water to the airlock (about halfway).
4) Assemble the cap with the stopper and airlock and set it on your counter for a few weeks to allow nature to do what it does best!
After three to six weeks (or sometimes even as little as 3-4 days!) you’ll have a delicious, tangy lacto-fermented treat. Sour like a pickle and full of good gut bacteria, which recent studies suggest can help improve digestion, tune up your immune system and make you healthier overall.
Be sure to read our project updates here!
What will the money be used for?
We've sourced top quality, North American producers for all the components of our versatile fermenting kit. But to bring healthy tabletop fermenting to everyone, we have to make a financial commitment to those producers. We have to show that home fermenters care about healthy, pro-biotic rich food enough to make the Fermentation Kit a reality. And that's where Kickstarter comes in. Your contribution will allow us to pull together all the pieces, at bulk prices that make this a viable product. Please help.
A little bit about FARMcurious:
I started FARMcurious four years ago as a tiny little business run out my garage, which I managed on nights and weekends while I kept my day job. My dream was always to grow it little by little until I could afford to run the business full time.
Almost exactly a year ago I left my full time job and started running FARMcurious full time. Since then, I've quadrupled my online sales, expanded my class offerings ten-fold and I'm now beginning to develop custom FARMcurious-branded products.
The FARMcurious Fermenting Set with ReCAP will be the first of the product line to launch and I'm so excited to share it with the world.
We hope the FARMcurious Fermenting Set will help introduce you and your family to healthy fermentation today. We’ve added some awesome rewards to help you participate in the urban homesteading movement.
Thank you for supporting my project. Check out this video to learn more about FARMcurious.
More information on our rewards here:
Add a la carte options.
Increase your pledge to include a la carte options to your selected reward level - this will allow you to add something like a t-shirt even if the reward package you chose doesn't include one. This option is only valid for people who have chosen the $25 or higher reward.
- Add $5 to include the "I'd Pickle That" T-Shirt (Add $13 additional for shipping up to 2 add-on t-shirts internationally)
- Add $10.00 to include a narrow mouth lid with airlock (not otherwise included in any of the reward packages (*Add $10 for shipping up to 5 add-on caps internationally)
- Add $10.50 each to include additional wide mouth lids with airlocks (*Add $10 for shipping up to 5 add-on caps internationally)
- Add $10 to include a market tote (*Add $10 for international shipping)
- Add $12 to include a "Yeah I Pickled That" tea towel (*Add $8 for shipping up to 5 add-on towels internationally
- Add $20 to include an additional "I FARM" t-shirt (*Add $13 for shipping up to 2 add-on t-shirts internationally)
- Add $8 to include the bonus electronic recipe collection (same for international)
- Add $40 to include the virtual fermenting class (same for international)
Bonus Recipe Booklet includes recipes by:
- Sean Timberlake of Punk Domestics
- Erica Strauss of NW Edible Life
- Kate Payne of Hip Girls Guide to Homemaking
- and many more!!!
Risks and challenges
This is the first time I've ever brought a product to market and, as with anything you've never done before, you can frequently come across surprises. I've done a lot of research, sourced all of my providers and seen samples of every single component so I know I've minimized all the risk that I can.
Because I've spent the past year experimenting with prototypes of this gadget and talking to fermenting enthusiasts, I know the recipes are solid and there's a large demand for fermentation aids. I know the fermenting world and people who aren't quite in it yet but are curious will be enthusiastic about this product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)