About this project
What's all this?
This Kickstarter's goal is to fund a print run of the book Love in All Forms: The Big Book of Growing Up Queer. The book will be over 120 pages of beautiful, full color comics written and drawn by Queer creators.
Who's in it?
Here’s our lineup for this book.
- Niki Smith
- Taylor Robin
- Lisa Eisenberg
- Laurel Varian
- Gisele Jobateh
- Serafina Dwyer
- K. Guillory
- Deanna Echanique
- Jennifer Doyle
- Sarah Winifred Searle (colors by Alex Heberling)
- Sara Goetter
- Kori Michele
- Alisa Vaniushkina
- Savannah Horrocks (colors by Victoria Winters)
Why are you making a book about queer children?
These stories hope to reach queer children to show them that they are not alone and that their stories deserve to be told. We hope to encourage parents and families to discuss sexual and gender identity more openly with children. It is our goal to show that nonheterosexual and/or noncisgender people are unique, complete human beings worthy of respect, sympathy, and most of all, love. We hope that this book will also be read to and read by non-queer children, so they can better understand and accept these individuals.
We consider these goals to be valid, worthwhile endeavors. But most of all, we want to create and share the stories we wish we could have had when we were children--from touching "coming-to-terms-with-your-identity" stories to fun-filled adventures spearheaded by queer kids, we've got it all!
Where is the money going?
All of the confirmed artists listed above have been paid in full for their work. This Kickstarter's main goal is to print the lovely book we have created.
Okay, but what do we get?
Why, let's take looksie!
SUPERHERO CAPE BY EMBROIDERY MARK:
- felt fabric with small velcro enclosure
- EXCLUSIVE custom-made patch embroidered with the Love in All Forms logo featuring alternate rainbow colors (as seen in picture)
- PERSONALIZED EMBROIDERED NAMES! Choose to include a transgender child's preferred name, name your child "Super Alex", whatever you please!
- Available in SIX different colors! Black, blue, green, pink, purple, and red. (Cape pictured above is blue with the name in yellow embroidery.)
- Available is FOUR different sizes! Small (ages 2-4), medium (ages 5-6), large (ages 7-8), and extra large (ages 8+). (Cape pictured is extra large, featured on a small framed adult.)
- Limited run! These capes are an EXCLUSIVE ITEM made for the Love in All Forms Kickstarter, so get them while you can!
Is the book done yet?
Okay, I get it! Let's see some more art!
Once we meet our funding goal, we will start looking towards our Stretch Goals!
Featuring FIVE NEW STORIES by:
Mira is an LA-based artist working in the animation industry, and the creator of THE BOY AND THE PRINCE, THE MERMAID AND THE SAILOR, and THE MOON PRINCE. She runs her webcomic MISS BIRD AND MISS CAT on her twitter and tumblr, where you can find more of her work.
Multidisciplinary creator, survivor and activist; Maïmouna Younglai-Case unabashedly spins out the tales of her meaning, as well as those she cares deeply about. She’s the recipient of "Best in Show" at It Figures, Hot Shot Gallery with multiple pieces featured at various locations during the span of 2010-2012. She’s featured in shorts by Kami Chisholm, including "Femme Haiku". Late summer 2014, Maïmouna had this wild idea to run her first ever kickstarter — the first installment of her tetralogy, Flavours of Life. "Flavours of Life; Story 1 of 4" was successfully funded March 4, 2015. You can follow her on Twitter or Tumblr, and visit her website here.
Kou Chen is a Taiwanese-American, genderqueer cartoonist living in Brooklyn. He grew up in California, spent almost a decade in Taiwan, and returned to the States to study art in New York. Currently, he co-edits Boy, I Love You, a comics anthology that celebrates the boy’s love genre. Six stories will be featured, including one by Kou named Aperture. You can see updates about the upcoming anthology at bilu-anthology.tumblr.com and find more of Kou's work at vainvanes.tumblr.com!
Ariel Ries is an Australian animation student currently navigating her way through university in Denmark. She is best known for creating the fantasy webcomic "Witchy" which features a diverse cast, cool magic, and queer themes. To find out more about Ariel or see more of her art, you can follow her on twitter, tumblr, or check out her webcomic.
Nero O'Reilly works in,lives in, loves Seattle, WA with his two cats and one cute partner. He freelances full time while also working on comics about queer animal anarchy (Carnivore Planet) and videogames about rowdy space bounty hunters (Desperado Voyage). Check out his website for more links to various twitters, tumblrs, and the main store!
After that, we'll be looking to give bonuses to our lovely artists. Modeled after several successful Kickstarters before us, these stretch goals compensate the 15 confirmed artists and 5 stretch goal artists. The more money the Kickstarter raises, the more the artists get paid!
- If the Kickstarter reaches $20,000, each contributor/team gets an extra $50.00.
- If the Kickstarter reaches $25,000, each contributor/team gets an extra $100.00.
- If the Kickstarter reaches $30,000, each contributor/team gets an extra $150.00.
- If the Kickstarter reaches $35,000, each contributor/team gets an extra $200.00.
- If the Kickstarter reaches $40,000, each contributor/team gets an extra $250.00.
Risks and challenges
As the editor/compiler/fulfillment goon, the vast majority of the responsibility for this book's success lies on myself (Serafina Dwyer). However, I have taken steps to confirm all my costs are accurate and all my rewards are doable. The greatest risk is of course the possibility of delays in the proofing stage, due to any mistakes made by contributors or myself. If these setbacks occur, I will do my utmost to make certain all the books and rewards are delivered as soon as possible.
As someone who does not have a large background of experience in publishing, I am using all the resources available to me to better myself and make this process go as smoothly as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)