About this project
Introducing: PING, the world's first the Trackable Disc!
- Have you ever lost your favorite disc on the disc golf course?
- Have you ever spent a good part of your game looking for where your disc landed?
The solution is finally here!
Paired via Bluetooth to your iPhone / Android phone, the TOBU app uses the power of bluetooth to track your disc. To recover Ping, you simply have to walk towards its general location, and the app will lead you to where it is! And as an added benefit, Ping will automatically begin to beep and flash once it is thrown, giving you even more opportunities to find it.
Not Compromising on Flight
A trackable disc is only desirable if it flies well. Hence, we weren't satisfied with simply sticking components onto existing discs -- even if you manage to perfectly centralize the additional component, the change in both weight and weight distribution would reduce the disc's performance.
To account for this, Ping was designed with these additional electronics in mind. A lot of engineering time and effort has been put into the design of PING so that the total package would be ideal for a long distance driver!
Focusing on the Game
We've worked hard to streamline the user experience so that you can focus on your game. As you prepare for your throw, you will not need to press any additional button as Ping will automatically enter "Tracking Mode" once it leaves your hands.
Furthermore, as soon you recover Ping with the assistance of your iPhone / Android Phone, our App will automatically calculate the statistics for your game. (eg. distance, score ...)
- Energy efficient Bluetooth connectivity for tracking Ping with iPhone / Andriod App
- Flashing LED and beeping speaker for locating Ping visually / audibly
- Ping (disc + locator) designed together as an integrated whole to optimize flight characteristics
- Integrated housing for the locator is perfectly centered for balance and provides shock protection and water resistance
-PING has a textured inside rim to give you additional grip for when the discs gets wet
Mobile App's Features:
-Find courses in your area
-Use GPS to see a full map of each course
-Rate courses and share your feedback with other users
-Create and Submit your own courses
-Integrated Scorecard to keep track of multiple players scores
-Graphs and charts to show each players scores, averages, statistics, drive distance, and so much more!
-Measure and record the distance of your throw
Meets PDGA Standards!
We were the driving force behind the recent PDGA technical standards change! (Discs can now have electronics attached and still be used in tournament play.) Ping has been designed with these standards in mind so that it can be used by both the pros and enthusiasts alike. The PING disc is currently pending approval.
At TOBU Discs, we are passionate about disc golf! Our team
of disc golfers, product engineers, and software designers are on a
mission to bring to market the most technologically advanced disc the
world has yet to see!
We're lucky enough to live in the disc golf capital of the USA - Charlotte, NC! (There are over 40 courses in and around the city, and the number keeps growing each year!) Through our experience playing the game, and by studying the common issues most players have, we have arrived with many ideas on how to enhance the game for everyone.
Most importantly, we have the capability to bring these ideas to market. Through our strategic alliance, we have tapped into 25 years of engineering expertise with a company skilled in delivering demanding products requiring complex designs and high precision. As such, we are confident that we can deliver - but we will need your help to meet our funding goals!
Help us get this product to market!
Here's a sneak peak of our textured rims!
Our rim has 3 separate sections of texture to aid you with your throw.
1. A smooth section that is similar to most discs on the market.
2. A lightly textured section for added grip.
3. A heavily textured section to keep your hand from slipping when your disc gets wet.
3 different textures in 3 different segments - try them out and choose one that suits you best!
Risks and challenges
Challenges Thus Far:
1) Our biggest accomplishment has to be our success in integrating additional electronic features into a disc without any compromises on its flight characteristics. Our design compensates for the weight of the locator by keeping the total disc weight low, but also preserving the optimal weight distribution for a distance driver. This insured that we could still have a driver that would go the distance.
2) We have also succeeded in designing a protective housing for the locator that is both minimalistic but also robust enough to protect it. It provides shock absorption and water resistance for the locator, allowing you to throw Ping as you would any other disc.
1) We have confidence in the suppliers we have chosen, some of whom have worked with members of our team for over a decade. Nevertheless, we realize the delivery challenges that all KickStarter campaigns face - challenges from packaging issues to customs delays. As such, we have included in our supply chain timetable a significant buffer for responding to such unforeseen circumstances.
2) As with most sports, disc golf products are dominated by only a handful of big major companies. As a young, small start-up (with big ideas), our main challenge will be to remain profitable in a market filled with established competitors. So we would need your support to help us realize all the great ideas we have - ideas we have incorporated into Ping, and even more we would love to see produced in our futures discs!
Support this project
- (30 days)