Russia: 1787. Empress Catherine the Great is taking a surprise trip down the Dnieper River to survey her new kingdom. This will take her directly past your old, unremarkable village. You don’t have the time or money to make your village impressive, but with a few pieces of timber and some strategically placed facades you could certainly make your village seem impressive.
In POTEMKIN EMPIRE, up to five players attempt to impress Empress Catherine by convincing her that they have the most prosperous village in the land. You don’t have much time or money, so you’ll just have to set up empty building facades along the river to make your town look impressive.
Draft and assign interior cards to decide which of your buildings are real or fake. Score points by exposing your opponents' fake buildings, or by passing off your fakes as real. Each building you can add to your town has a unique ability, so choose the buildings you construct carefully. Some will earn you points whether they’re real or not, but beware of your enemies’ spies!
Potemkin Empire is a strategic city building, bluffing game for 3-5 players that plays in 45 minutes. For more information, we encourage you to view the videos directly below, or simply read our draft rulebook here.
Note that anything marked with these symbols are:
Kickstarter Exclusive - An exclusive item for Kickstarter backers with remaining stock available through conventions and special promotions only.
- Potemkin Empire is the 48th project from the combined teams behind Indie Boards and Cards & Action Phase Games. With the successful execution of our first 47 projects, we have become experienced publishers with a reputation for great games (in design and production) that are delivered in a timely fashion.
- Potemkin Empire was a finalist at the Geekway Design Contest which had over 100 entrants from across the country.
- Potemkin Empire was designed by the talented Jonathan Woodard. This game has undergone extensive testing and development to ensure the best possible experience. We are confident that this game will be in your collection for years to come.
- Potemkin Empire is an interesting cross-section between empire building games and bluffing games. The empire you build is three-dimensional, which provides a beautiful table presence that is deeply tied into the historical theme behind the story of Gregori Potemkin. The best part about the bluffing element is that you are never put on the spot to lie about the authenticity of your buildings.
- Like other empire building games, there are several different strategies that can be employed. Since every type of building is always available no matter what cards you are dealt, every strategy is open to every player! The key to winning will be determining which strategy is best to pursue against your current opponents' strategies.
- All of the art assets are complete and ready for immediate upload after the project funds.
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge. For example, if you pledge $24 to help back the project, we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any stretch goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured.
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds! That's it! It's really that simple! Thank you for backing!
Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and share with your friends and family. Also, be sure to like Indie Boards and Cards on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for real-time updates about this project and more!
We are excited to offer retailer packages for Brick and Mortar stores. For more information, please email us at: email@example.com.
Every backer is important to us, regardless of location, but the reality is that shipping and sales taxes are very expensive and is a cost we all need to share. To offset this, while remaining fiscally responsible, we have included a discount on ALL shipping and taxes, but there is no free shipping. Shipping & Taxes charges will be added after Kickstarter ends, every backer will be responsible for paying these fees in the pledge manager after the campaign ends. Please see shipping & taxes chart below:
For the US, Canada, UK and the EU we have included applicable taxes, your rewards will be sent Duty Free from within your region – there will not be any additional customs charge. Outside of the US, Canada, UK and the EU, we cannot guarantee customs friendly shipping in these areas. There may be additional duties and/or fees charged by your country's governmental agencies and/or shipping partners. Those fees are solely your responsibility, and we can neither cancel a pledge nor will we pay those fees. In case a package is returned or destroyed due to non-payment of such fees, your pledge will be considered fulfilled.
- MAYOR: (Pledge $24 or more) One copy of the base game Potemkin Empire including all of the stretch goals. Shipping and taxes are not included in the price. For additional copies in the US and international, check our rates below.
It is important that everyone knows that we are using a pledge manager. That means you’ll be able to manage your pledge amount for all the add-ons that you want after the project closes, along with during the campaign. We will post an update to notify backers when the pledge manager email is being sent out. At that time, you’ll need to manage your pledge and enter your shipping address and complete your order.
Our plan is to have Potemkin Empire available at Gen Con. While our current production schedule looks like Kickstarter rewards will ship out around the time of Gen Con, it may be the case that we have games at Gen Con before the Kickstarter backer copies are sent. It may also be the case that we are unable to get games to Gen Con in time. I wish we were able to absolutely guarantee results, but we simply know that we can't make such commitments when so many other parties are involved in the process.
If you want Gen Con pickup – DO NOT PLEDGE FOR THIS PROJECT
All the stretch goals will be available in the games we bring to Gen Con – your support is very valuable to Indie Boards and Cards & Action Phase Games and we look forward to seeing you again this year with lots of great new games.
Risks and challenges
We can refund you within 14 days of the campaign’s end, fees included. After that, we have a policy of no questions asked, though that’s minus 20% for Kickstarter and payment processing fees (which we can’t get back from them after 14 days). However, if we’ve begun packaging your pledge for shipment (usually 4 to 6 weeks before the actual shipping date), no refunds are possible. If a component cannot be delivered AT ALL, we refund that completely, including fees.
All refunds after the 14 days close of the campaign may be processed via PayPal or reversed via Stripe to your credit card at our discretion. Refunds within 14 days are reversed via Stripe to your credit card.
This project is being funded in USD and any refunds processed will be in USD for the exact amount received in USD, excluding any applicable fees depending on the time of the refund being processed.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By pledging to this project, you acknowledge that the final look, materials, and content of the rewards (and the project) are subject to change and may differ substantially from what is presented while the Kickstarter project was active.
If you do not log in and submit your project survey results (ie, provide us with your shipping address) for your pledge within 8 weeks of our notification, you agree that we have fulfilled our obligations to you in full for payment or donations received. However, we may, at our discretion, refund or ship your pledge (at additional cost for international backers) if you complete your project survey after the 8-week window has elapsed.
If you do not accept these terms, please do not pledge on this project but instead wait for the general release.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)