Why a Lens Guard™ and Lens Bumper™?
Your camera is an investment. The even bigger investment is usually in your lenses. But every time you use a lens, it’s at risk. How many times has a camera swung and the lens banged against whatever is in front of it? Scraped a rock? Smacked against a door? And let’s face it, lens caps and filters just don’t give much protection. And neither do hoods. Your lens might end up dented or even cracked or broken. Everyone from novice to pro has bumped, dented, or dropped a lens. And if you haven't, you probably will.
Finally there is a solution. It’s called the Lens Guard. Its cousin, the Lens Bumper, has an open end allowing you to shoot using a lens hood.
The Lens Guard is like the bumper of a car, protecting from mishaps. It's insurance for your expensive lenses. Stop dents, dings, and scratches on these expensive lenses, and their filters. Reduce costly repairs.
XL Lens Guard on Sigma 50-500mm
Our Kickstarter Project
With Kickstarter, we at DeluxGear will introduce 3 new sizes of Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers for lenses 3.9 inches (10 cm) in diameter all the way to 6.9 inches (17 cm).
- Extra Large (X-L) -- Fits 3.9" - 4.4" (10 - 11 cm) in diameter
- Extra Extra Large (XX-L) -- Fits 4.9"- 5.3" (12 - 13 cm) in diameter
- Jumbo -- Fits 6.3" - 6.7" (16 - 17 cm) in diameter
That includes your 70-200mm lenses with hoods, the popular Nikon 14-24mm, and your Canon "white" lenses. These Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers will also cover large prime lenses so popular among sports and outdoor photographers -- 200, 300, 400, 600, and even 800 mm lenses from Canon, Nikon, Sigma and others. They are also for popular zoom lenses, like the Nikon 80-400mm and 200-400mm, the Sigma 80-400mm, 100-300mm, 50-500mm (the "Bigma"), and 300-800 mm, and the Tamron 200-500mm.
These lenses cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars, and yet there have been no solutions to protect them while on your camera....until now. Anyone who has one of these larger lenses will find Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers to be an inexpensive form of insurance.
Which Lens Guard or Lens Bumper is right for my lens?
To see which Lens Guard or Lens Bumper you need for the larger lenses covered by this project, whether you want to use it with your hood on or not, check our Larger Lens Guard Sizing Chart.
For all Lens Guards and Bumpers that we offer, check our Lens Guard Sizing Chart.
Features of the Lens Guard
The Lens Guard:
- Absorbs impact from any hard objects -- walls, rocks, trees…
- Prevents scratches from sand, dirt, concrete, and brick
- Shields against moisture from splashes, mist, and rain
- Easily slides over the end of your lens for a secure fit, protecting your glass and a portion of the lens barrel.
- Is used with or without filters or caps.
Universal fit for all brands of lenses. Also great for storing and shipping lenses.
Don't just cap your lens, GUARD it!
Every Lens Guard comes with these features:
- Interior of thick (1/4" / 6mm) -- cushiony closed-cell neoprene
- Outer shell of tough, waterproof 0.08″(2mm) santoprene rubber
- Built-in tether attaches to lens, camera strap or camera body
The Lens Guard is soft, but tough.
The Lens Bumper
The Lens Bumper is just like the Lens Guard - a neoprene inside and a tough Santoprene exterior. The Lens Bumper simply does not have the dome that the Lens Guard does. It allows you to shoot without taking the Lens Bumper off of the lens. You can also shoot with your lens hood in use. It also holds a filter, allowing you to use filters with lenses, like the Nikon 14-24m, that have a fixed hood and do not accommodate filters.
Here's where your pledge will help:
- Molding the outer shells: We will be able to cast the aluminum molds that produce the tough Santoprene outer shells
- Raw materials: We will purchase the outer shells, the neoprene, and cutting dies as well as other components of the Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers
- Production of the first run: We will be able to order the minimum quantities required by our vendors of all components, and have them assembled into Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers and packaged to send to you. We will assemble them in the US at an ISO 9000-approved plant right here in Kentucky, whose other clients include top companies like Corning. Our products, which are all camera accessories, are all Made in the USA!
- Patent protection: We have filed to protect this simple idea from being knocked off by someone anywhere else in the world. While we would appreciate the flattery of being imitated, we want Lens Guards and Bumpers to remain unique. We expect additional legal fees while our patent is pending.
Our designs are nearly complete. With your help we will be ready to begin production of the molds and assembly process. You will be enabling us to get these Lens Guards and Bumpers into your hands so photographers like you can begin using them!
Backers pledge to pay for their selected reward only if we meet the funding goal of $8,000. We're grateful for every $1 pledged!
What rewards are available?
You can get any reward shown in the table below by pledging the appropriate amount. You may request a Lens Bumper instead of a Lens Guard at any of the levels in the chart.
By funding our project, you will not only help us get these new products on the market, but you’ll be one of the first to have one. And you’ll pay less than what everyone else will pay. Plus, for you as a Kickstarter project supporter, each of the new Lens Guards will have a special “Limited Edition” embossing.
Plus, we will make a limited number of the special Limited Edition. In total, there will be no more than 500 Limited Edition Lens Guards made -- 300 X-L and 150 each of the XX-L and Jumbo. (Lens Bumpers do NOT have the "Limited Edition" embossing.)
You simply choose the size you need for your lens.
For larger lenses covered by the Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers in this project, check our Larger Lens Guard Sizing Chart.
For all Lens Guards and that we offer, including these 3 new larger sizes, check our Lens Guard Sizing Chart.
We will send out a Kickstarter survey when the project completes to verify the reward you selected, including size of Lens Guard or Lens Bumper you need, and confirm your address.
We may even have colors other than black available at that time. If we do, you will be able to choose what color you want from those available.
Jumbo Lens Guard on Canon 600mm
We've been preparing this project for 3 years. From his own experience as a photographer and inventor for over 20 years, DeluxGear founder, Mike Dowell was inspired to come up with a solution while loading the trunk of his car. His camera was slung over his shoulder, and of course, it swung around and the lens smacked against the car.
Rather than simply cap your lens, why not truly guard it? Mike and his wife, Sandy, worked tirelessly on various prototypes. We began producing smaller Lens Guards a year ago. And we’ve already had great feedback from a lot of photographers. Lens Guards have even allowed lenses to pass the "lens toss test". Check out this video:
Now we want to provide this same proven Lens Guard protection for your most expensive lenses.
We have other products, all designed to take the pain and worry out of photography. We focus on helping photographers shoot confidently and comfortably, and to protect their gear so they don't have to worry about it. We're a small, new company, but one with big ideas.
When will rewards ship?
We plan to ship in April 2012. Completing the molds will take 4 to 6 weeks. Then we need to assemble the Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers. That will take a couple of weeks, which puts us past mid-April. Expect to receive your Lens Guard or Bumper in late April or early May.
We hope you are excited about our Lens Guards and Lens Bumpers and choose to support the project. Please spread the word and share with all your friends. If the Lens Guard or Bumper is not for you, become a supporter and give your reward to a photographer friend!
- (39 days)