Contribute to help us give the Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition a leather bound, embossed+, metallic-edged, full-color, deluxe treatment. Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 8, 2013.
10 Days To Go...
Yeah, yeah, the KS Countdown says 9-
But before we get to our usual Milestones breakdown, we need to address the concerns that the Abyssals Preview raised after we posted it. We're extremely sorry that the intent of the Charms was not clear and that the descriptions did not convey the powers to such an extent as to make readers upset. The Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears's Charms were written as they were to emulate the truly evil actions she is capable of, but it is clear from the comments here and across the internet that we were not clear in exactly what those evils were. After reading through them with the concerns of others as our guide, as opposed to our intentions, we can see how some folks were appalled at what was presented. Rest assured that we are listening to ALL of the feedback and are adjusting the text to create the interpretation of the Charms that we did intend. In the spirit of further clarification, I give you this message from the Devs:
As it turns out, concept thumbnails don't communicate as much detail as full Charm writeups, and some people wanted clarification on the style and intent of a couple of the Charm ideas in the recent Abyssals preview. Without further ado, we're happy to clarify the idea behind those Charms here:
Frozen Watchfire Embrace
Frozen Watchfire Embrace lets an Abyssal manage multiple lovers at once, while maintaining her parasitism, and also causing them to boil with lust for her. Those apparitions are not for rape. They are for haunting, and seduction. They will be insistent, terrifying, and seductive, but ultimately only the dark lusts and passions of the target will allow these phantoms to do what their master has bid. They take the deathknight's paramour down the road to damnation. By giving in, said lover knows they are giving in to something dark and terrible, yet incredibly desirable. There's no force involved, only haunting seduction.
Black Rose Blooming
You shroud yourself in the unearthly perfection of the grave, achieving a beauty beyond the ken of the mortal world. Pale figures and moaning shadows, ephemera drawn from the Underworld by your deathly allure, rustle at the eaves, blow past the windows, and press their hands and lips to the doors of your abode, whispering your name, whispering for someone to let them in.
On the road at night, a lone traveler might find herself meeting a rider with skin like white orchids and a perfect symmetry of form and figure. He seems a romantic icon from another world, and as he asks her name, restless shades flit through the trees, creep into the road, and touch his legs and his horse with aching, possessive awe. He brushes them aside as he helps the traveler onto the back of his horse and takes off into the night, the phantoms riding in his wake, not quite daring to call out his forbidden, forsaken name. Neither woman nor rider are seen again, not in that region.
Exalted doesn't tend to pull punches when describing ugly things in its setting, or to sugar-coat the excesses, vices, or atrocities of its heroes. This makes striking an appropriate tone when talking about the specifically awful parts of the game—such as a monster like the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears—a careful balancing act. To be clear, the Abyssal Exalted and their Deathlord creators delve into some very dark themes at times, but to be equally clear, Exalted is supposed to be fun to play. We appreciate and are considering the great feedback we've gotten as a result of the latest preview.
Coming up very soon for Kickstarter backers will be another Exalt preview—one you won't need a stretch goal to unlock. Stay tuned...
- We passed our Project Goal in 18 Minutes...fully funded in 18 minutes!
- We have raised over 800% of that Project Goal so far.
- The Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition Kickstarter is now #2 of the highest backed tabletop RPG KSs and Onyx Path's highest funded KS evah!
- 3255 wonderful Backers- thanks to all of you folks for supporting us!
- 227 crazed Backers for the Orichalcum Ultra-Deluxe EX3 Edition: looks like we're going to print this gorgeous thing!
- Your pledges have passed 17 Stretch Goals, which give you as backers a new EX3 Novel written by Matt Forbeck, a set of 5 Chibi-style Bookmarks by Mel Uran, a recording of John and Holden expounding on their plans and dreams for the future of Exalted, an EX3 Retrospective PDF book, EX3 Quickstart, the EX3 Music Suite, the EX3 Fiction Anthology, an Infernals and an Abyssals Preview, a set of Charm Cards, and the option to pledge for both the EX3 Storytellers' Screen and the Ex3 Cloth Map. You have increased the book's art budget, Sorcery section, and added three silk ribbon bookmarks so it'll look even sweeter, and you gave the creative team a much appreciated pay bump, and have enabled us to bring John and Holden to GenCon to represent for Exalted.
- Both Previews: the Infernal and Abyssal Exalted PDFs and the Developer Recording are both live and the feedback has been greatly appreciated by the Devs.
Our next Stretch Goal is an Exalted 3rd Edition Comic written by Jim Zubkavich, writer and creator of the award-winning Skullkickers comic and long-time Exalted freelancer, and illustrated by Hans "Hanzo" Steinbach. We will also unlock two new Reward Tiers that will allow backers' Exalted characters to appear as crowd scene extras or as minor characters in the comic.
In addition, please check out this link to an overview of the Mechanics in EX3: