Legacy of the Ancients - Campaign Setting & Player's Guide 2
A campaign setting and player's guide for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons based on the popular CRPG from 1987, Legacy of the Ancients.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, February 28 2019 11:59 PM UTC +00:00.
In 1987 one of the most popular and beloved computer roleplaying games (CRPGs) of all time came out for the Commodore 64, Apple IIE, and PC. The game was created by Quest Software, Inc and published by Electronic Arts, Inc. Twin brothers named Charles and John Dougherty from Michigan were the masterminds of the game and founders of Quest Software, Inc as well as other titles such as Questron. Working under a license from Charles and John Dougherty we want to bring back Legacy of the Ancients as a campaign and players guide book for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons.
About the Core Book
It is essentially finished. The Core Book is in proof format and going through one final grammar and layout revision. It is done and should go out in PDF format within 2 to 3 weeks of the kickstarter completing. The print on demand codes should go out no later that 3 to 4 weeks after the kickstarter is done unless there is a problem with a proof.
Size and Format-> The book was done as a 5x8 Softcover book with a full color interior. It is 240 pages.
Chapters -> 15 Chapters + Licensing and Index
- Background - A short introduction on Legacy of the Ancients.
- History of Tarmalon - Tarmalon is much older than one would think. This chapter delves into the tragic history of the world as told from the Caretaker of the museum.
- A Player’s Guide to Races - This chapter helps players understand where in the world they likely come from and how they fit in and are accepted. We also introduce TWO new races for 5th Edition, the Strider and Raker races from the original game in 1987.
- A Player’s Guide to Classes - This chapter gives your players information on how to play their classes inside this campaign setting. It lets them know favored regions and races. Lastly, we introduce a NEW Martial Archetype for 5th Edition, the Tarmalon Knight.
- A Player’s Guide to Backgrounds - This chapter introduces TEN new backgrounds for 5th edition or lore if you intend to use this for another game system. All of the backgrounds help your players further immerse themselves into this world and find their place.
- The Museum - The museum was one of the most mysterious elements in the original game from 1987. This chapter gives you background and secrets explained for the first time about the museum and how to use it to run your games set in the world of Legacy of the Ancients/Tarmalon.
- Exhibits & Adventures - This lengthy chapter goes into all the exhibits in the museum as well as new exhibits and how to make the museum adapt to your players.
- Groups of Power & Influence - This chapter goes into all the groups that were in the original game as well as many new ones covered for the first time.
- Magic and Religion in Tarmalon - In this chapter we cover how magic is viewed in society and the world as a whole and the spells from the original game. This chapter also delves into the religious factions active in Tarmalon.
- Geography of Tarmalon - In this chapter we focus on the geography of the three main areas of Tarmalon; the main continent, the Three Sister Isles, and the Isle of Rudyard.
- Games of Chance - The original game in 1987 had lots of mini games that focused on gambling. In this chapter we release rules and ideas for running those games in your adventures.
- Items & Artifacts - This chapter contains lore, stats, and artwork for all the items and artifacts from the original game and releases museum technology as a new type of magic item.
- Monsters (A to Z) - In this chapter we include full stats for all the original monsters one could face in the original game. Screenshots from the Commodore 64 are included for all the monsters.
- NPCs of Tarmalon - This chapter contains information on 21 NPCs, some from the original game in 1987 and many new ones to help flesh out the world of Tarmalon.
- Brief History of Quest Software - This chapter is a never before seen or released history of Quest Software written in conjunction with the original authors Chuck and John Dougherty.
About the Intro Adventure
The title of the Intro Adventure is called Cave of the Bone Dwellers. As of the launch of the kickstarter it is still being finished and playtested. It is fair to say it is close to completion and should release in PDF format within a month of completion of the Kick starter. The print on demand version should not take any later than 2 months after completion of the kickstarter
Size and Format-> This book is a 8.5 x 11 Softcover book with a full color interior. It is estimated to be about 50+ pages when done.
Chapters -> 7 Chapters + Licensing
- Background - This chapter lays out the premise of the adventure and various plot hooks to get the players quickly started in the game. The players must find and stop what is causing merchant caravans to completely vanish and disappear in the area.
- Encounter 1: The Village of Holly Springs - The game starts in a small village that is in the region close to the museum(Though they shouldn't know the museum even exists). The players should find plenty to do here and plenty of npcs to talk to.
- Encounter 2: Journey Into the Wilderness - The players leave Holly Springs to investigate an area where the merchant caravans are going missing. Several chances for encounters along the road to the area.
- Encounter 3: Cave of the Bone Dwellers - The players will learn and be drawn to a cave in the mountains to the north either or their own or by being captured. The cave contains over 16+ areas to explore and numerous combat encounters with the bone dwellers as well as several other monsters that dwell below. In the cave the players should find mysterious golden armbands and an obsidian codewheel that forever links them to the museum.
- Encounter 4: Into the Museum - With the cave portion completed the players can either head back to Holly Springs or visit the source of the power of the golden armbands and voice of the Caretaker now in their heads. The adventure ends here in the museum with many new exhibits to explore if the players choose.
- Appendix A: NPCs - This chapter contains all of the information you will need to roleplay the various NPCs in this adventure. Detailed information provided on 13+ NPCs.
- Appendix B: Monsters & Threats - This chapter is quick reference for the gamemaster for stats for any monsters or threats that combat stats will be needed for.
Pledge Levels - What You Get
We wanted to keep our pledge levels very simple and easy to understand. The $10 Digital Pledge level will receive PDFs of both books, Both 3D Printable STL files, and Digital Stretch Goals of the following:
The $12 PRINT Pledge level will receive PDF and Print on Demand (POD) Codes for both books, both 3D Printable STL files, and Digital Stretch Goals of the following:
Add Ons ($10)
If you would like to add on our previous titles PDF package simply add $10 to your pledge. For $10 you will get:
- Asnar The Last Kingdom Campaign Setting (PDF)
- The Halls of Runehammer Adventure (PDF)
- A Brother Lost Solo Adventure (PDF)
- The Inn of the Buxom Wench (PDF)
- The Sewers of Blackhelm (PDF)
- Off the Beaten Path: A Collection of 5 Short Adventures(PDF)
(A Value of $20.00)
$200 - Project is Funded FUNDED!
$275 - Legacy of the Ancients Cartography Pack UNLOCKED!
$350 - Combat Encounter Sheets for the Cave of the Bone Dweller Adventure UNLOCKED!
$500 - Pregenerated Characters for Campaign Setting (PDF) UNLOCKED!
$700 - Prophecy of Mancella Mini Adventure (PDF) - UNLOCKED!
$1000 - Pirate's Treasure Exhibit Location Guide (PDF) and Print
$1500 - Location guide for the Town of Thornberry and Thornberry Exhibit (PDF) and Print
A Note about Print Copies & Shipping
In order to give you the best price for print versions of the book(s), we will fulfill print orders through DriveThruRPG. We used this for our Halls of Runehammer kickstarter, and the results were great. In order to receive print copies of the book, you will be responsible for paying the actual cost of printing, shipping, and handling, not a penny more. We have priced our reward tier low to account for this additional cost. When the books are ready, you will receive a link to buy these books at cost from DriveThruRPG.
CORE BOOK: Printing cost for this book will be $7.64 in UK and $8.39 in US. Shipping will be $5 to $6 in the US and UK and go up from there depending on your country. GO HERE to see estimated shipping costs from DriveThruRPG.
INTRO ADVENTURE: Printing cost for this book should be approximately $3.51 in the US and UK. Shipping will be $5 to $6 in the US and UK and go up from there depending on your country. GO HERE to see estimated shipping costs from DriveThruRPG.
So, a long story short if you live in the US or UK you are looking at around an additional $20 to $23 on top of your PRINT pledge to get the core and intro adventure books printed and shipped to you if they ship separate. This is why the print pledge is only $12. The shipping will be higher in other countries. (We choose this method because we do not want to over charge you or on the opposite side not charge you enough to cover shipping and printing.)
A Timeline on Completion & Priorities
Once funded the priority of our team will be to get the core and intro adventure books to you as soon as possible. Stretch rewards goal will complete and deliver after the core and intro adventure books comes out and will be a lower priority than the core book and intro adventure.
Risks and challenges
The core book is finished except for one more grammar and layout revision. It is in proof format. The intro adventure is very close to completion as well. To date A Hole in the Ground Terrain & Games has published over 16 projects on DriveThruRPG and their affiliated websites. We have built over the past few years a network of artists, collaborators, and many tools and software to successfully build and publish role playing games and terrain. We believe we have built a successful track record and invite you to explore our catalog of published products. This will be our third kickstarter to date. Our first kickstarter for the Halls of Runehammer was successful and delivered on time. Our second kickstarter was for Legacy of the Ancients and did not reach its goal. Though it did not fund we never stopped and continued the project and are bringing it back to you as this kickstarter.
Charles and John Dougherty who own the copyright to Legacy of the Ancients have granted A Hole in the Ground Terrain a license to publish a traditional role playing game and books for Legacy of the Ancients. It is under this license that we operate for this project.
This book is being produced by a small team dedicated to seeing Legacy of the Ancients brought back for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons. Real-life family and health issues could result in delays to the schedule. We do not anticipate any issues but life issues could happen. We fully expect to deliver the book(s) on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter