About this project
- Welcome to my page! I have added a couple "Updates" to the campaign, so don't forget to click the "Updates" tab above the video for more info! Thank you!
- We Reached Our Funding Goal! In Less Than Five Days! Amazing! To celebrate the funding goal being reached so quickly, I added a NEW PLEDGE LEVEL called The GateKeeper. This lowers the price of the paperback book, and includes an eBook copy - all for only $25!
- STRETCH GOALS: Just because the book has surpassed it's funding goal, doesn't mean the campaign is over! We still have time to continue raising funds for the book's release. The $3500 was the minimum amount necessary to release the book. The more we raise, the more I am able to promote the book and ensure that a wider market gets to enjoy it - the primary reason I launched this Kickstarter campaign in the first place!
- $6000 I will be able to print more physical copies of the books as well as purchase ad space in basic social media realms like Facebook.
- $8000 Reviews reviews! For any writer, positive reviews are worth their weight in gold. For a self-publisher, positive reviews are virtually priceless! Kirkus Reviews is one of the best and well-renowned book review services in the industry. If we reach the $8000 funding mark, you will help me in promoting my book to Kirkus and other professional reviewing services and together we will get the positive word out about The WishKeeper!
- $10,000 Book, Comic and Fantasy/Sci-Fi Convention and Bookstore Tours! Promoting a book takes a lot of time and money and TRAVEL! The best way to get The WishKeeper into the hands of readers, is to get face-to-face and shake their sweaty little hands personally. If we reach a $10K funding level, I will be able to spend my time attending certain conventions as an exhibitor. An exhibitor will get his own table and booth!
- Cosplay! On top of attending conventions, the $10,000 goal will allow me to create a costume based on Shea and what she looks like, and play dress up! Good God no, I won't be the one dressing as Shea. I will hire a professional costume designer and model to join me at conventions, and physically promote Shea and her story.
My friend, Mary, created a wonderful water color piece of a scene from the book. Check it out! I've created two new pledge levels - one of which is only $12 and you receive a color print of Mary's final artwork and an eBook! Click the image below to watch the time lapse creation of the artwork. Thank you, Mary!
While there is a character in the book that goes by only "The Captain", I thought it fitting to recruit my incredibly gifted friend, Nathan Maurer (who goes by CaptainOsaka on Tumblr and DeviantArt), to create a piece of fan art for this campaign. He out did himself!! This is amazing. Nathan had a hugely successful Kickstarter campaign for his comic, Double K (click here to check out his successful comic campaign). If you pledge at the $20 "The Captain" level, you will receive not only a paperback copy of The WishKeeper, but a print of this epic piece of fan art. Best deal everrrr!
What is The WishKeeper?
It's not about making wishes, it's about fulfilling them.
A Young Adult (YA) fantasy novel, The WishKeeper tells the story of a fairy named Shea and how her broken wings and inability to fly have kept her from being the one thing she always wanted to be - a WishKeeper.
We, WishMakers, all have a WishKeeper assigned to us that protects & guides our wishes toward fulfillment. Teenage, broken-winged Shea has never been allowed to be one, but when a True Love Wish is made, she sets off to prove that she can.
You can have your very own WishKeeper created and assigned to you! Check out the pledge levels at the right and the "Wish Levels" section below for more info. You could have your WishKeeper live in the world of the book series!
For a "Look Inside", just like on Amazon, here is your chance to read the beginning of the book and see if it's something that tickles your fancy. LOOK INSIDE
Get To Know Shea
Shea is a rebellious, punk, tattooed, teenage fairy with two mangled wings that draw ugly stares more often than sympathy.
She is not looking for sympathy though, and would rather break a WishKeeper’s pointed nose than accept an understanding pat on her handicapped back. Her disability has left Shea unable to join the Keeper force, though her father would argue that her true disability is her incessant devotion to breaking the rules. Until the day her family WishMakers, Grayson and Miranda, made a second True Love Wish, she was barely a blip on a WishRadar. The last time a True Love Wish was made, her mother destroyed it in order to keep it out of the hands of their wish-mongering king. Shea tried to stop it but the wish exploded, her mother died, and Shea's wings were ripped from her back.
Ten years later and despite her disability, despite her anger, resentment and the all-too obvious chips on her shoulders, Shea sets off to the human world to retrieve a True Love Wish and prove her worth.
Through her naive yet determined adventure in a land Shea had only dreamed about, she battles the discovery of painful family secrets, a wish-hungry king and his cursed zombie fairies, and the acceptance of her parents’ imperfections as well as her own. True Love is not all that's on the line. Shea intends to show the world how great she can be...no matter the consequence.
If you would like to read teasers of a few of the book's chapters and catch a glimpse of my writing style, check out my Tumblr and take a gander: http://wishkeeperdiary.tumblr.com/
Or, go to my author website and dive even deeper into the world of The WishKeeper: lostking9.wix.com/maxtimm
Who is the Author?
Because I'm not just selling a book and actually crazy enough to try and convince you to help fund my project, you should know who this Max guy is. It's important for you, the person I'm so relying on, to know that I'm not just some hack looking to self-publish a novel in order to cross off a bucket list bullet point. I have been a professional writer and script/book consultant at a prominent school for writers for ten years. I taught screenwriting and project development, and privately consulted A-List celebrities.
My personal background is far too boring to explain here, though I did grow up in the nation's circus capital where the drinking fountains were the open mouths of lions, the town's main street park had a statue of a clown between the legs of an elephant, and I lived across the street from the Clown Hall of Fame. Hmm...maybe it isn't so boring. Oh, and my house was haunted. Clown ghosts. Think about it.
Nonetheless and even though this is my first novel, I have focused a decade's worth of time, energy and watery eyes (I won't admit "tears") to the art and craft of writing. I've helped thousands of writers develop their projects, and have written dozens of screenplays that are still circulating, but I am more excited about The WishKeeper than any other project I've worked on.
What Am I Doing Here, Really?
It's pretty obvious - I need your help in funding the book's release. It's not cheap to release a book - go figure!
**The funds will be spent as follows:
- A) I have an amazing artist who deserves every cent he makes, and he needs to be paid.
- B) As you can see (in the video and above), my artist has already created the illustration for the cover, but I also need to pay my graphic designer to type set and finish the cover as well as help with the interior formatting of the book.
- C) Even though I have had four editors go through the book already, I would like to hire an additional editor to go through it again.
- D) I need to pay for the printing of the books AND the shipping (which can be quite daunting).
- E) I have some very fun t-shirts and merchandise like iPhone cases and key chains that will be created and of course shipped (see the Merchandise section below for images and details).
- AND F) I'm not factoring in the marketing and publicity I would like to create for the promotion of the book. (This will be part of a stretch goal.)
Who is the Cover Artist?
I am thrilled to have Dan Howard on board to create the artwork for the book. I believe a book cover is so very important in not only the marketing, but how it can set the tone and impact a reader's feelings and emotions before they even open it. Dan has done a marvelous job so far.
Dan's work has been featured and used in DeNA Games, Hideo Concert, Flight Comics, UDON, Mess Studios, Sabertooth Games, and Fantasy Flight Games, to name a few. Illustrations have also been featured in Imagine FX as well as Ballistic Publishing's Exotique 3, 4, & 5 annuals. If you would like to learn more about Dan, or if you have illustration/artwork needs, please do check him out! www.danhowardart.com
I couldn't be happier with my cover artist and what he has created for the book cover is nothing short of amazing. While I have devoted an immense amount of time to bringing Shea to life within the book itself, Dan has given her a true identity and I am eternally grateful.
You will see on the right side of your screen, 11 different pledge levels. There is no need to detail every pledge level here since it's all right there on the right, but if you don't know anything about Kickstarter (hi Mom and Dad), decide on any level you like and then click the big green box near the top of the page that says Back This Project.
Note: there are six different types of wishes that I have created for The WishKeeper (hence the names of six of the pledge levels) and if you'd like to learn more about them and the personalities they embody, click here - Anatomy Of A Wish.
The True Love Wish level and the Paragonia Please level: I have had multiple requests for these pledge levels. Since we all have a WishKeeper, here is your chance to meet him or her! I will create a specialized WishKeeper for you, a son/daughter, niece/nephew, dog or cat (I'm pretty sure they make wishes too)...anyone you'd like.
Who Will Create the Personalized WishKeeper Artwork?
Because my artist is quite busy and his availability could be slim come October, I have brought on an additional artist to step in and ensure that the individual WishKeeper sketches are completed on time. The artwork will be created by the cover artist, Dan Howard OR the fabulous artist, Wylie Elise Beckert. Wylie came on early in the project's campaign development. We have arranged a way to involve her amazing talent and create your individual WishKeeper artwork alongside Dan Howard.
The frame-worthy artwork will come with:
- A Certificate of WishKeeper Assignment
- A backstory/bio on your WishKeeper
- His or her full name and Keeper recruitment history
- Your WishKeeper's training ranking, Wish Wrangling Performance Trial (WWPT) times, and more!
- And a particular hair color that matches the color of one of the six wish types which you will be able to choose!
For example, if you're daring enough to want a black-haired Keeper (matching the color of a Death Wish), by all means! You would be assigned a very skilled, ruthless, determined Keeper who will devote his/her life to your incredibly powerful wishes, be a dedicated keeper of secrets, and have a forthright, militaristic approach to wrangling (retrieving) wishes.
If you choose the Paragonia Please pledge level:
Not only will you receive the above listed items, as well as The Purity Wish level goodies, but your created WishKeeper will play an important role in Book Two (which will be titled, The WishMaker - Spoiler!) That's an eBook copy of the book, "No Pixie" t-shirt, merchandise of your choice, a paperback AND hard cover copy of the book, your very own WishKeeper and have that Keeper live in Shea's story forever.
Thank you from the bottom of my wishful heart for any pledge amount you make. I have so far received some very positive reviews on the book, but without your help I won't be able to get it out into the mainstream and allow more readers to enjoy it.
Cheers and all the best wishes to you.
Depending on which Wish/Pledge Level you choose (details at the right), you will be able to select an item of your choice, email me your preferred request, and I will purchase the item and ship it to you! Below are images of available merchandise. Again, please see which WishLevel you chose to determine which item and how many you can take home. T-shirts will of course be fit to specified size. All item ordering can be done via email here through Kickstarter upon campaign funding.
(If you wish to order additional items, please contact me and I will do so on your behalf. I will not charge more than the cost of the item + shipping.)
Risks and challenges
Risks? Shea has inspired me in that she doesn't let a setback bring her down and she will never understand what "impossible" means. There is a risk in everything we do, especially in a creative venture. But what am I going to do? Just wish for something to work out, or go and make it happen? Shea would make it happen, despite any looming "risk", and I intend to follow her lead.
While the book is done and going through edits as I type this, the final artwork for the cover, merchandise and overall production of the book could take longer than expected. I will work my little fingers to the bone and do my absolute best to ensure a pre-Christmas delivery of your pledge goodies, though please understand if the eventual shipping of the book and rewards takes a tad longer than expected. Note: All estimated delivery dates of "Dec 2013" denote the latest you will receive your rewards, though again, please understand if issues with printing and shipping occur.
Los Angeles-based ghost tour: for those of you not in Los Angeles and unable to redeem your tour tickets, we will communicate after campaign funding as to how you can and will be compensated!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)