zDevice is an open software, open hardware platform for easy control, automation, and monitoring of "things" in your life. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on on .
About this project
What is it?
zDevice is an open platform (yes open! as in, "open source" and "open hardware") for controlling, automating, and monitoring things in your life. zDevice products can be used anywhere, at home or remotely, from your smartphone, mac, or pc.
Kickstarter is a crowd funding platform. This enables people like yourself to support creative projects and entrepreneurs like myself by "pledging". You can pledge any amount you like and choose a reward from the list to your right. No money or rewards are exchanged unless the zDevice project completely funds. You can also support the project by tweeting on Twitter or liking on Facebook with the links right below the video, this would be a great help!
I have always had an entrepreneurial spirit but have never wanted to go into debt to fund a project. Kickstarter seems like a perfect match for me and I need the help. I would love for zDevice to grow into something big and be able to create new business and therefore new jobs. I would also like to repay the great education I received at BSU and hope this inspires more young inventors and dreamers to not give up on their own aspirations!
How can I use it?
zDevice can be used to do amazing and convenient things. Here are some examples:
- You drive away and leave your garage door open... zDevice alerts you via a text message that you forgot to close the door! Reply and the door closes!
- You have a vacation home or cabin that you always worry about freezing... put a zDevice inside and get an alert if the temperature falls below 40 degrees! You can even adjust the thermostat temperature remotely from your smartphone!
- You are a concerned working parent and you want to know when your child gets home... monitor the front door with zDevice and get an instant message complete with a snapshot when the door opens! (The camera expansion is currently on my workbench!)
- You have a set of blinds too high to adjust easily... put in a set of motorized blinds and control them with zDevice, locally, remotely, or even with the rising or setting of the sun!
- Remotely allow access to your home or cabin... for repairmen or unexpected guests!
Or in more general terms:
- Get email, text, text to speech, and twitter alerts from devices and "things" in your home, using inexpensive hardware.
- Respond to these alerts! View and control these devices and things from any web enabled device, computer, smartphone, or standard phone.
- Design custom touch interfaces for your smartphone, and other HTML5 based user interfaces for controlling your devices.
- Program your devices to communicate with and react to one another without your input, automate things in your home, using simple zScript!
How it works!
A zDevice, such as the I2O2+ links with a zServer upon activation over a WiFi internet connection. Once the zDevice is online you can control, automate and monitor that device from any web browser via a standard web page from your computer, mobile device, or other interface. All programming, user interface design, and alert setup is done with simple to use web based interfaces, no special software needed. Multiple zDevices can be mesh-networked together to control each other and communicate with each other! This allows very large systems to be easily created.
zDevice is a platform to expand, hack, and manipulate to fit your needs. With that said I have created a few pre-packaged templates to do many things out of the box with NO programming required! These include:
- Garage overhead door remote control and monitoring. Get alerts when the door has been left open and have the ability to close it from around the globe!
- Temperature sensing with alerts. Get text, email, twitter, and text to speech phone call alerts.
- Switch sensing with alerts, for monitoring doors, gates, motion sensors, mailboxes and other such things!
Here are more detailed but unpolished videos of zDevice in action...
zDevice controlling a garage overhead door!
zDevice security system!
zDevice controlling a light and a fan!
zDevice controlling a gas fireplace!
zDevice Under the Hood!
This is awesome! How do I get started?
The zDevice flagship product is the zDevice I2O2+. (I know it sounds like a robot from a sci-fi flick.) The I2O2+ is the first zDevice WiFi gateway for connecting things from the real world to the zDevice network. The I2O2+ has two inputs for connecting things like switches, water sensors, motion sensors, and buttons. The I2O2+ has two relay outputs for controlling things like, garage doors, motors, lights, blinds, fans, fireplaces and other things that require simple on off commands. The I2O2+ also has a programmable expansion port. The expansion port has two general purpose I/O ports, one two way serial port (RS-232), and either 3.3v or 5v power outputs. The expansion port allows you and me to add pretty much any other third party device to the zDevice network. In addition to the I/O the I2O2+ also has a realtime clock and calendar, and native alert capabilities.
Pledge by using the links on the right to get a I2O2+ in your hands as soon as possible!
Where Is zDevice Going?
In order to get zDevice out in the wild I need tooling for manufacturing and enough orders to mass produce the first batch. This will keep the costs down for all. I also need to setup the infrastructure to support the zDevice open source community. Depending on how many pledges come through I will be adding more hardware support for controlling and interacting with additional devices.
For every additional $10,000 raised, I will be adding more functionality to the zDevice platform. Here are some of my ideas, let me know yours:
- Wireless infrared transmitter (for controlling TV's, DVD players...)
- A camera for remote viewing (currently in the works)
- General purpose TCP/IP client / server for communicating with other manufactures
- LCD Interface with keypad
- In-wall Touchpanel
- General Purpose Expansion board, for Analog to Digital sampling, and Digital to Analog conversion, and more...
- Wireless high voltage controller, for directly monitoring and controlling lights, motors, pumps, and the like.
- Arduino compatible gateway.
All these systems can be added to the existing I2O2+ platform you are currently pledging on.
- First of all... THANK YOU in advance to all my backers!
- All my friends and family who have put so much work into making this possible! Babysitting, designing and delivering flyers and posters, a lot of leg-work, Thank You!
- Rudy Lovato, our excellent product prototyping and testing technician.
- Travis Dean, with Coyote Design for the awesome case design.
- Dion Eusepi, with Indiplex Media for the great video production.
- Jim and Lonnie, with Custom Tooling Services for designing and machining the injection mold.
- The TechHelp New Product Development Team at Boise State University
- Bobbi Fuller, with Impact Design Studios for designing the zDevice website and art assets.
I hope you can tell by the Kickstarter page that I was planning (with appropriate funding) to have everything released three months after the Kickstarter campaign. Now with no current funding I am weighing my options... It will take me some time to get things in order, I don't know how long at the moment. I will post an update as soon as I know more.
It's not a matter of just taking orders. I need a lot of orders to support manufacturing, or I have to take a big risk monetarily myself, as most of you probably understand. That was my purpose for trying Kickstarter to hopefully get enough preorders to support manufacturing. Without 500 orders or more the cost to produce 5 to 10 boards at a time would put the sale price of the boards somewhere around $400.00, if you want more info please contact me directly. I hope you understand and thanks for all the support! --Jason
I hope this helps.
The $145 package is for temperature and vibration monitoring, so it has the I2O2+ board with a temperature sensor and an accelerometer.
The $175 package comes with everything to wire up a garage overhead door. The I202+ board with the garage door sensor, mounting hardware and wire.
The $225 package comes with the I202+ board and a wireless receiver and a wireless transmitter to wirelessly locate something like a magnetic switch, motion sensor, water sensor.
Yes and no, before launching on kickstarter my initial goal was to target the DIY techie types and that is how the project sits now. But, I have gotten overwhelming feedback that with the broad application scope of zDevice, more people want out of the box solutions for specific applications. I am working on a zDevice thermostat and light switch now and may turn that into a pledge if I can be sure I can deliver that in a reasonable time frame.
A six pack of Idaho Spud...z candy bars and a zDevice lapel pin. Add $5.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
zDevice live CD. This CD will boot a live version of Ubuntu with all the zDevice server software running out of the box. All zDevice products can communicate either over the cloud using zDevice professional servers or locally with a personal zDevice server. If you are intimidated by cloud systems or just don't want a third party involved, this is for you. Add $5.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
zDevice I2O2+ complete kit. A completely tested I2O2+, case and power adapter. Everything needed to start controlling your world! Add $15.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
8 backers Limited (92 left of 100)
SPECIAL EARLY DELIVERY! zDevice I2O2+ complete kit. A completely tested I2O2+, case and power adapter. Everything needed to start controlling your world, EARLY! Add $15.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
zDevice I2O2+ complete kit with an additional temperature and vibration sensor expansion board. Add $15.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
zDevice I2O2+ garage door kit. A completely tested I2O2+ pcb, case, and power adapter. Including all the parts necessary to control, automate and monitor your garage overhead door. Add $15.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
zDevice I2O2+ wireless sensor kit. A completely tested I2O2+ pcb, case, and power adapter. Including a wireless sensor expansion board for connecting a dry contact sensor up-to 150 feet away from the I2O2+. Add $15.00 for international shipping.Estimated delivery:
3 backers Limited (197 left of 200)
A limited edition zDevice I2O2+ garage door kit in a special color! A completely tested I2O2+ pcb, case, and power adapter. Everything needed to start controlling your world in a limited edition GLOW IN THE DARK CASE!Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (100 left of 100)
zDevice custom glowing LED, machined aluminum, cufflinks! and a complete I2O2+ kit, in a limited edition GLOW IN THE DARK CASE! Perfect for the guy or gal who has everything! These cufflinks are based on the design by adafruit.com, http://www.adafruit.com/icufflinks . I am commissioning a local machinist to customize the icon specifically for you!Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)