Traveller RPG: The Journal of the Travellers Aid Society
The Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society returns, in a brand new full colour, slipcase format.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sun, April 7 2019 8:59 AM UTC +00:00.
Welcome to the Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society!
This Kickstarter is for a new set of sourcebooks for the Traveller RPG, based upon the periodical from the 'Classic' era. We will be trawling through the Journals of yesteryear, selecting the best articles, revising/re-writing them for the latest edition of the game, and adding a whole host of never-before-seen material. This will (initially) be compiled into three volumes which, for Kickstarter backers only, will arrive within their own deluxe slipcase.
We will also be drawing from the better fanzines of the era (having tracked down the original authors) to create the essential resource for exploring Charted Space!
The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society (JTAS) will be starting at three 128 page volumes, but stretch goals will unlock additional volumes at no extra cost to backers - we will simply extend the slipcase in size and add the additional books!
What is Inside?
Much of the work on the first three volumes has already been completed, and you can download part of Volume One right HERE, so you can see the style we are going for with these books. This is a work in progress, and you will see it updated to completion over the course of the Kickstarter project.
Each is a treasure trove of information and game additions, including adventures, new ships, animals from across Charted Space, philosophical musings on the big empires, histories, different takes on familiar equipment and vehicles, brand new vehicles, characters to be met in starports, playable alien races, and much, much more...
This is what we currently have planned for Volume One (subject to tweaks and ever better ideas as we continue to work on the Journals):
- The Ship in the Lake: Uncover a sunken vessel lying in a potential hotspot to uncover a small fortune
- Bestiary: Poke and provoke the Bush Runner, Tree Kraken, Lozin, Luugiir, Tree Lion, Seedspitter and Miniphant
- SOHO Light Freighter: A heavily armed trader suitable for the worst areas of the Reach - with High Guard rules for Laser Barbettes
- SuSAG: The run down on one of the largest megacorporations in Charted Space
- The ATV: A look at the familiar ATV, with variants both large and small, grav-assisted and aquatic
- A Concise History of the Vilani: Explore how the Vilani rose to prominence
- Burst Lasers: For when you just cannot decide between pulse and beam
- The Dynchia & Girug'kagh: Two fully playable minor alien races
- Remote Piloted Reconnaissance Unit: A perfect device for Travellers who want to see what they will be facing before leaping in with both feet
- Embassy in Arms: Stage an evacuation of an embassy under fire in this adventure
- Within the Two Thousand Worlds: Understand the K'kree before they appear in your campaigns later this year
- Piracy on the Spinward Main: How best to make Credits from 'freelance' trade?
- Vargr Corsairs: And then see how the masters do it
- Assault Rocket Launcher: A brand new weapon with ammunition to resolve any situation
- Simone Garibaldi: A scholar to be met at any starport - but is her latest discovery real?
- Emperors of the Third Imperium: Just who is in charge, and how did they get there?
- Light Patrol Vehicle & APC: Found at many starports, these light vehicles are suitable for policing and light military use alike
Volumes Two and Three have oodles more articles, including more aliens and animals, more adventures and characters, explorations of Imperial and Zhodani military forces, a revision of the original Exotic Atmospheres Special Supplement, vehicles of the IISS, and much, much more - we will be showcasing the contents of each volume during the Kickstarter process and courting your opinion on the articles!
The new Journals of the Travellers' Aid Society come in a 8.5" x 5.5" format (a bit bigger than the old 'little black books'), making them easy to have at hand at the gaming table to flip to the articles you are after.
Well, we enjoy talking about Traveller to Traveller fans which, for us, is enough to get everyone involved in the first place.
However, the greater truth is that we are sitting on tons and tons of Traveller source material... and these Journals are the perfect vehicle to get it to you.
Doing this project via Kickstarter will not only allow us to gauge your opinions and reactions as to the actual contents of the Journals and which articles should be selected for inclusion, but we can link your backing directly to the amount of content - in effect, the more popular this project becomes, the more volumes we will be able to put into the slipcase.
We will be starting with three volumes and have already started compiling articles for a fourth. How many more will follow will be up to all of you!
There are just three main pledge levels in this Kickstarter project - select the one that appeals to you the most and we will soon have the Journals in your hands.
- A huge (28"x 40") full colour poster map showcasing the major powers of Charted Space and their position in the galaxy
- Six Traveller pencils, perfect for your players
- One Traveller pen, because referees are worth it
- The Ship Recognition Pack, 25 postcard-sized aids picturing and detailing the most common ships of Charted Space
- A boxed set of 12 brand new Traveller dice
There is a Tigress Dreadnought's worth of Traveller material we could fill many JTAS volumes with - and that is exactly what we will be doing through stretch goals!
If we reach these interstellar heights, we will increase the size of the slipcase and add Volume Six of the Journal. Not only that, we will also add to the TAS Welcome Pack which will see High Passage backers gain a tear-away pad of character sheets, ready for your Travellers to embark on their careers. In addition, we are increasing the dice set in both size and number - High Passage backers will receive a box set of twenty custom 15mm Traveller dice with the TAS logo featured prominently on the number 6 facing.
During past Traveller Kickstarter projects, we offered various existing Traveller books so backers could fill in the gaps of their collections. The Traveller range is starting to grow quite nicely, and so we have put together a range of Traveller Packages that will allow you to add to your pledge and get these books as soon as the Kickstarter is complete (no waiting around for the Journals to be printed!).
Simply choose which packages you are after and add their cost to your current pledge level. After the Kickstarter is complete, you will receive a survey asking you to confirm which packages you added, and we will send you these books within the next four weeks, along with their PDFs!
Risks and challenges
We have always delivered on our Kickstarter projects and if you were to ask one of our previous backers of previous Traveller projects such as The Great Rift or the Element Class Cruiser Blueprints, we believe you would hear that the quality of our Kickstarter projects is always worth it, and you tend to end up with more than you originally pledged for!
That said, we have taken steps to ensure the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society does not over run its projected completion date.
For a start, much of the work has already been done on the first three volumes, and volume one has already entered the art and layout process - you can freely download what has been completed for free using the link above.
Second, we have brought in several Traveller-writers, including fan favourite Martin J Dougherty, to pen the brand new material for these Journals, thus spreading the load. Traveller veterans will know the reputation of Mr Dougherty well, as he is a true professional and one of the most reliable writers Mongoose has ever worked with in our near-18 years of business - backers of the Great Rift and Element Cruisers Kickstarter projects saw that he delivered manuscripts on time, and they were most excellent!
We will be showcasing previews of the Journals throughout this Kickstarter to demonstrate just what we are working on, how we are progressing, and to gauge your opinion on the articles.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter