Serve the Computer! The Computer is your friend!
Imagine a world designed by Kafka, Stalin, Orwell, Huxley, Sartre and the Marx Brothers.
* Listen to designer James Wallis discuss the new Paranoia Here! *
* Paranoia Playtest Session Here! *
Paranoia is a roleplaying game set in a darkly humorous future. In Paranoia, a well-meaning but deranged computer desperately protects the citizens of an underground warren from all sorts of real and imagined enemies. You play one of The Computer's elite agents. Your job is to search out and destroy the enemies of The Computer. Your worst fear is that The Computer will discover that you are one of these enemies.
Paranoia: A light-hearted game of terror, death, bureaucracies, mad scientists, mutants, dangerous weapons, and insane robots, which encourages players to lie, to cheat, and backstab each other at every turn.
Is that fun? Trust us.
The all new, rebooted Paranoia box set has been designed to be played almost immediately from opening the box. It offers fast, manic game play through the use of streamlined mechanics and substantial components including Computer Dice and high quality cards to represent equipment, mutations and much more!
Paranoia now offers a thoroughly modern roleplaying experience, allowing you to get into the game even quicker:
- Streamlined, simple rules with new card play that allows maximum carnage while allowing you to concentrate on the action (and survival).
- A 21st Century approach to Alpha Complex - Terrorists have taken their proper place as the greatest threat now but Commies are still lurking in the background, and the Computer's benevolent surveillance capabilities are as all-encompassing as they were envisioned in 1984 (Paranoia's original release!).
- The principal designer is James Wallis (Baron Munchausen, Once Upon a Time), the most celebrated designer of story-telling games (the Computer says so), assisted by original designers Eric Goldberg and Greg Costikyan, and Violet-level High Programmers-to-be, Grant Howitt and Paul Dean.
- Minimum effort, maximum fun - with the simplified game system and card decks, you will be able to get into Paranoia within 10-15 minutes.
And shipping is free, worldwide!
Paranoia is better. Other games are not better. Back Paranoia.
The original Paranoia was a product of, well, Cold War paranoia. Today, we have no need to be paranoid! The NSA and GCHQ work tirelessly to ensure that we are all safe and secure against the pervasive threat of Commie mutant trai.... Uh, I mean, evil, crazed terrorists.
Every good citizen knows that you have nothing to fear, if you are a law-abiding citizen! Only evil-doers will be seized without trial, waterboarded, and force-fed.
Rest assured that real-world Troubleshooters are toiling unceasingly even as you scan these words to ensure that the traitor Snowden receives his just desserts for unnecessarily evoking Paranoia in a world that needs it not at all!
Universal surveillance is almost here! Tens of thousands of cameras have already been installed in cities worldwide to ensure the continuous monitoring of the activity of all citizens, ensuring our safety from malefactors. Hard AI is on the horizon, and its creation will be an inevitable boon for all of humanity! The Computer is almost here! Utopia is just over the next horizon!
The real world is rushing to meet the promise of Paranoia.
Paranoia is subversive and traitorous. It slyly uses humour to induce treasonous thoughts, inculcating an un-mutual sense that authority is not always correct, and that submissive obedience to authority is questionable. Such questions must not be asked!
Join today – your clones will thank you. And remember...
Stay alert! Trust nobody! And keep your untested prototype weapon handy!
Paranoia is one of the RPG 'greats' with players having been blasted, vaporised, and otherwise terminated for the past 30 years. It demonstrated that adult/sophisticated/black humour themes could be brought to roleplaying games, it won the Best Role-Playing Game of the Year award in 1984, and was inducted into the Origins Awards Hall of Fame - one of only ten RPGs to ever gain that distinction.
And now, it is time for a brand rebooted edition, including all your old favourites but with bang up to date game play.
Developed by World Famous Games Designer James Wallis and his minions, the new Paranoia arrives in a swanky box set, piled high with goodies. All Paranoia books are printed in high quality full colour, and you will receive the following in your box set with a Green-level pledge.
- A brand new Player's Guide safely separates Red clearance rules from those things players are not meant to know.
- The Games Master's Guide contains all the diabolical tricks, traps and general nastiness needed to run Paranoia successfully.
- The Missions Book features several brand new scenarios to get you started as Troubleshooters in Alpha Complex.
- 100 full colour cards covering everything you need to play from character creation and mutant powers to combat and the latest equipment from R&D.
- The special Computer Dice, a six-sider with the symbol of the Computer to let you know when things really have gone pear-shaped...
- Six wipe-clean (allowing you to wipe away pen marks - or Troubleshooter's blood, as the case may be) Character Sheets, so you will never have to use a ragged print out ever again!
Truly the Computer has rewarded its most loyal servants.
All of this is wrapped in a one-off Ultraviolet level box set - this is available to Kickstarter backers only. When the retail release comes about in 2015, it will come in a standard Red level set.
This is in addition, of course, to the stretch goals we hope to unlock...
There are several pledge levels with which you can support the new Paranoia. The Computer, of course, is not gauging your commitment and loyalty by the pledge level you choose.
The planned Paranoia box set is perfect. The Computer says it is perfect. With stretch goals, it will be even more perfect.
The Paranoia box set contains everything you need to live, thrive and survive in Alpha Complex. The Paranoia box set is perfect. You can make it even more perfect by adding extra Computer-approved items.
The following may be added to the Paranoia goodies you receive simply by adding the appropriate amount to your pledge, and we hope to add more choices throughout the Kickstarter process. We will contact you when the Kickstarter is complete to make sure you get the extras you are after.
Risques et défis
Mongoose Publishing is one of the foremost publishers of roleplaying games, having started more than 13 years ago with D20 support materials (such as the Slayer's Guides and Quintessential series), and going on to produce hits like Paranoia, Judge Dredd, Conan, Traveller and Legend. As the saying goes, when it comes to RPGs, we know our onions!
We have run several Kickstarter projects before, both successful and otherwise, and while we have not made every mistake possible, we have made a lot!
Fortunately, we learn from our mistakes and have yet to repeat any.
We have done much of the design groundwork and playtesting of the new Paranoia already, the printers have been primed, and our distribution system is already set to ship the final box sets to you - in short, we have done as much as we possibly can short of actually producing the game.
Designer James Wallis is obviously an important part of the new Paranoia, and several of you have already asked what if (Computer forbid!) something untoward happens to him. James is leading a design team that has been working on the new Paranoia for the past year or so, and a great deal has already been completed - if something tragic were to happen, we have made sure everything is already in place for the design team to complete the project, on schedule.
That said, the most likely thing to go wrong here is for James to be lynched by his underlings...
We are planning to send the game to print in February, expecting it back in March/April - however we have set the 'official' delivery date for June, in order to account for any mishaps or delays along the way.
We expect these measures will allow us to account for any unforeseen hiccups that arise during development.En savoir plus sur la notion de responsabilité sur Kickstarter
Période de financement
- (40 jours)