Troubleshooters have a lot on their plate, what with shooting traitors, backstabbing teammates and missions with more Catch-22’s than the novel of the same name.
It’s time to get a bigger plate, citizen.
And while you are at it, you can download the complete Troubleshooter's Survival Handbook, the first book in the Acute Paranoia box set right HERE.
Announcing the Acute Paranoia box set!
This massive supplement for the Paranoia RPG (the latest edition from Mongoose Publishing) offers a ton of new content designed specifically to make your Paranoia games more fun. (And treasonous, but you never read that.)
Players will find rules for playing bots and elderly Troubleshooters, advice for committing treason and not getting caught, fun prescription drugs, and bingo cards for diagnosing teammates with entirely treatable disorders. No medical knowledge necessary!
- GMs will find locations to drop into missions, guides to the Underplex and the Outside, articles and tables to help up your Paranoia game, and three shiny new missions to really rack up the body count.
You will also see new cards, from Bestiary cards like the Feral Tree to R&D gear such as Hygiene Grenades — but only if you back this project before June 24th.
Imagine the sheer joy and devilish glee you’ll feel upgrading your Paranoia RPG experience with this new set! Imagine the jealousy and dirty looks from others who did not back this project!
Paranoia is now more better. Other games are not more better. Back Acute Paranoia.
What is Paranoia?
Paranoia is a darkly humorous roleplaying game full of mutants, secret societies, backstabbing, lasers, repeated death and a well-meaning but thoroughly insane ruler known as the Computer. Unlike other RPGs that take themselves rather seriously, Paranoia is all about having fun in a science fiction dystopia by encouraging skullduggery, betrayal, bootlicking and generally naughty behaviours.
At cons, you can tell where the Paranoia game is by following the laughter. This is your chance to make your Paranoia games even more hilarious (and deadly) with the Acute Paranoia box set. Be the envy of your neighbours, friends and random strangers!
Why Acute Paranoia?
After the success of the Paranoia core box set, players have been asking for more ways to backstab, fight terrorism and cause terrorism in Alpha Complex.
Our design goal was simple: Create a box full of cool things to do in Paranoia. We focused on what helps players and GMs take down their enemies so they can climb a mountain of skulls and smoking boots to proclaim themselves the One True Paranoia Gamer. In other, less scary words, everything was filtered through ‘How can people use this for more fun?’
The design team is lead by WJ MacGuffin, a game designer who worked on the Unknown Armies 3rd edition Kickstarter as well as the XP edition of Paranoia. Starting with the 2nd edition rules back in 1987, WJ played and ran more games of Paranoia than is healthy.
The team includes two other veterans of the XP edition days (Dan Curtis Johnson and Greg Ingber) as well as two designers new to Paranoia (Amanda Cherry and Ed Turner) for fresh ideas and blame if jokes fall flat. With invaluable guidance and imperious demands from Gareth Hanrahan and Ken Rolston (one of the Paranoia 2nd edition designers), the team has created rules, missions and more that fits Paranoia’s unique themes and mood. Hunting down traitors, would-be-traitors and what-the-hell-they-might-as-well-be traitors-because-my-gun-still-has-ammo has never been this fulfilling!
Acute Paranoia Contents
And you thought your Paranoia games were already dangerously fun .... As with the core box set, Acute Paranoia is printed in high quality full colour. In the box set, you will receive:
- The Troubleshooter Survival Handbook features healthcare plans, perfectly legal pharmaceuticals, disorder bingo cards, articles on getting away with treason and invaluable lessons from Teela-O. You also get rules for playing bots! (“Bzzzt bing sorry Troubleshooter but this arm needs to be removed beep!”)
- The Gamesmasters Despotic Power Book offers locations to ‘drag and drop’ into any mission, information on the Underplex and the Outside, articles on helping players get into the Paranoia spirit (aka backstabbing) and bot secret societies. You also get tables for randomly picking interesting (and likely deadly) bots, traitors and shops!
- Mission Book 2.0 includes three brand-new missions featuring the Outside and the Underplex. How will your Troubleshooters handle a mysterious black rectangle, a missing Armed Forces regiment and a patch to the Computer itself?
- New cards! Besides more Action and Equipment cards, you’ll get cards for Bots, Relics from Before, completely safe R&D gear and those things that are like bots but not metal ... what’s the term ... oh, right. Beasts.
- Wipe-clean Bot Identity Forms, which are way better than the ones squishy clones get because you are made of metal.
- Wipe-clean Disorder Bingo Cards to make sure your teammates don’t have any issues that could degrade mission performance.
Remember, you can download the complete Troubleshooter Survival Handbook right HERE to have a look at the kind of things we are putting into this box set!
Under CPU Mandate 883.03/b, this campaign’s pledge levels have been simplified and clarified to make your loyal backing experience that much more enjoyable. And because some people missed out on the original Kickstarter for the rebooted rules, there’s even a pledge level where you can get everything currently published for Paranoia!
What’s a Kickstarter campaign without stretch goals? Check out what you can get along with your pledge level rewards for being such a loyal, trustworthy citizen.
Bonus Loyalty Top Up
Veteran Troubleshooters know that it pays to be prepared. You can add any of the items below to your pledge simply by increasing your pledge total by the appropriate amount. We will be in contact after the Kickstarter to confirm what you are after, and send them off to you post free!
Paranoia Starter Box Set: £40
Interactive Screen: £15
Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues: £40
Implausible Deniability: £15
More REDACTED Societies: £10
Mutant Explosion: £10
Forms Pack: £10
Deluxe Computer Dice: £5
Additional Acute Paranoia Box Set: £40
Risks and challenges
Mongoose Publishing remains one of the foremost publishers of roleplaying games including Judge Dredd, Conan, Traveller and, of course, Paranoia. We have a Big List of Things To Do Differently with this Kickstarter campaign!
It has been some time since the last Paranoia Kickstarter and, between then and now, we have run two very efficient Traveller Kickstarters. We have developed a new system for Kickstarters, and it works:
* We have a new team of writers for Paranoia, new faces and familiar. They are delivering what they say they will deliver, when they say they will deliver.
* Most of the box set will be complete before the Kickstarter begins.
Ah ha, you say, but was that not said for the last Paranoia box set? The difference here is that, knowing this was a big issue last time, we will showcase sections of the box set right at the start of the Kickstarter. You can freely download the Troubleshooters Survival Handbook right now - subject to tweaks and additions made during the Kickstarter process - so you will be able to see how much work has already been done.
By creating so much content beforehand, the risk is lower and backers will receive their rewards that much faster. In addition, lead designer WJ MacGuffin will be monitoring this project and answering your questions/concerns as quickly as his tired, slow brain can handle. (His Cerebral Coretech upgrade did not go well.)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)