About this project
Fairy Tales do not inform children that there is such things as monsters. Children already know that there are monsters. What Fairy Tales really teach is that monsters can be transformed or destroyed.
- Paraphrasing G.K. Chesterton
Valor is a comic anthology of re-imaged fairy tales showcasing the talent of some of the top creators in the field of digital comics. The purpose of this book is to pay homage to the strength, resourcefulness, and cunning of female heroines in fairy tales. Some of these are recreations of time-honored tales. Others are brand new stories, designed to be passed to future generations.
The anthology will be young adult friendly and in color, each story being 4 to 15 pages long. That's more than 200 pages of new fairy tales!
The anthology is being edited by Isabelle Melançon and Megan Lavey-Heaton, co-creators of Namesake, who are also contributing to the anthology.
Other creators involved in Valor include:
- Angelica Maria Lopez - Creator of Solstoria
- Annie Stoll and Tim Ferrera - Creators of Ode
- Elena “Yamino” Barbarich and Ash “Summerlightning” Barnes - Creators of Sister Claire
- Emily Hann - Composer of backgrounds
- Jayd Ait-Kaci and Alex Singer - The masterminds of Little Foolery (Sfeer Theory, Small Town Witch)
- Joanne Webster - Forger of Words
- Justin Lanjil - Master of colors
- Kadi Fedoruk - Creator of Blindsprings
- Laura Neubert - Creator of the Light-Eaters
- Meaghan Carter - Creator of Take Off
- Megan Kearney - Creator of Beauty and The Beast
- Michelle "Misha" Krivanek - Creator of Alice and the Nightmare
- Morgan Beem - Ink Wielder Extraordinaire
- Nicole Chartrand - Creator of Fey Winds
- Ran and Cory Brown - Creators of The End
- Sara Goetter - Creator of the short comic Haircut
Stories that they’re working on include retellings of classics such as Prunella, Little Red Riding Hood, The Wild Swans, and the Little Mermaid. There’s also brand new fairy tales such as the tale of a badass mom, who’s also a knight and a brave hare seeking the blessing of the seasons. We’ll be letting you take a look at the stories throughout the project!
In addition to the 17 stories in the book, some of our crafty writers are also turning out illustrated prose stories that will be available as DRM-free ebooks alongside the print volume! These include retellings of Finette Cendron and Goldilocks.
You can follow the development of these stories through the Valor Anthology Tumblr page.
If the project succeeds, where will your money go? The initial $20,000 goal is just enough to cover printing the books and the rewards. Here's a pie chart! We love pie!
- 42% will go to printing the book: This is for 1,000 copies of Valor in paperback, sized at 6.625x10.25 - standard comic book size. We've also budgeted in doing a nice foil on the cover! We are going with Print Ninja, who is a fantastic printer we've used before.
- 36% will go toward shipping: The vast majority of the shipping will be for outside the United States. We've looked at different options for shipping overseas, but no matter how many diplomacy rolls we tried, there was just no way to get this part of the budget down unless the books take months to get to you with a high risk of damage.
- 11% will go to fees: This includes Kickstarter and Amazon's cut of the project. We also plan to use BackerKit to assist in project management. Isa and Meg used it for Namesake, and it was fantastic.
- 7% will go to rewards: This is where we pay the people for the charms, buttons, postcards, et. al.
- 3% will go to packaging: This is for bubble wrap, cardboard sheets, boxes, everything to make sure your books survive the perils of its postal journey.
- 1% is for wiggle room: This is for an unexpected expenses - barring USPS announcing a sudden shipping increase.
The budget will be revised depending on how the Kickstarter does.
Here's what being offered in the reward tiers! Please note that not all designs are final. Those who get one of the $500 tiers will get the Princess and Fairy Song packages along with their commissions.
We achieved our initial goal within two days of launching the Kickstarter! Here's the other stretch goals we have planned at the moment:
$25,000: WE LOVE LIBRARIES! Books will be donated public libraries! The more that's pledged, the more books we can get to libraries! If you're a librarian and want a copy of Valor for your library as part of this stretch goal, please message Meg!
And because we all love libraries, we will put in a bookmark for every tier level that has a physical book pledge ($30 and above.) Here's what the bookmark, done by Angelica Maria Lopez of Solstoria, looks like!
$30,000: DIGITAL SKETCHBOOK: We will create a digital artbook with concept art and the creating of Valor, including background into the stories used and comments from the creators! Plus, we will be able to give our artists and writers a bonus! Breaking through this stretch goal enables you to directly support the artists!
$40,000: We will add an additional illustrated prose story to the Fairy Song package! This one will be by the lovely Alex "Munn" Singer of Little Foolery!
$50,000: HARDCOVERS: Want a hardcover copy of Valor? They're now available! Here's what you need to do:
If you want just a hardcover copy of Valor, please pledge for the newly created $40 HARDCOVER GRIMM package.
If you have an existing pledge that's the $40 Andersen package or higher, please add $10 to your existing pledge to convert your softcover to a hardcover. The exception is the FAIRY COUPLE package. Please add $20 to your order for both books.
$65,000: We will add all five illustrated prose stories in the Fairy Song package to the print book! This should bring the book up to nearly 300 pages, if not more!
$75,000: We'll add an 18th comic story to Valor!
Thank you to all the creators who have signed onto the project and all of the fans who read our works!
Marketing support for Valor will be provided by Hiveworks.
Kickstarter art produced by Isabelle Melançon and Megan Lavey-Heaton
Kickstarter video created by Megan Lavey-Heaton with assistance from Isabelle Melançon, Megan Kearney, Meaghan Carter, and art from all our contributors. Any non-credited art used in the video is public domain.
Risks and challenges
Those of us working on the anthology are Kickstarter veterans and understand the ins and outs of fulfilling a Kickstarter. It's being headed by the Namesake team, which just finished fulfilling their second Kickstarter.
We have had the Valor participants selected since earlier this year, and people started submitting their work in July. The final deadline is set for October. We are going with a printer we have used before and have been nothing but fantastic to work with. Once the books are in-hand, the turnaround time will be fairly short. Should the Kickstarter go beyond our wildest dreams, we will enlist a third-party fulfillment service to help get orders out.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes, as soon as the Kickstarter is over, all those who pledged for the Calliope package will have access to DRM-free copies of Namesake vol. 1 and vol. 2.
If you want a second book and extra set of Kickstarter goodies, you can upgrade to the $60 Fairy Couple package.
If you just want a book with no extra Kickstarter goodies, then add $25 to your current pledge. When we send out Kickstarter surverys and BackerKit invitations, you'll be able to indicate on your survey that you paid for an extra book.
Because of the book's projected weight, shipping to Canada is going to cost around $20 whether we mail it from the U.S. or pay customs fees, bring it across the border, and use Canada Post. We're sorry about that!
Support this project
- (30 days)