Last year, in co-operation with Moaideas Game Design from Taiwan, Grail Games released the popular civ-building card game Guns & Steel. Now we are proud to introduce an all-new stand-alone expansion for the game - Guns & Steel: Renaissance!
NEW wonders! NEW cards! NEW ways to win! Renaissance can be played alone, or combined with the original set, to create an exciting new experience...
Guns & Steel: Renaissance is a tightly packed strategy game that will force you to make challenging decisions on every turn. Experience the rise & fall of nations in just an hour's time!
Guns & Steel: Renaissance is designed by Jesse Li (designer of Guns & Steel and Ponzi Scheme.) All backers will receive a signed, deluxe postcard from the designer in every copy!
Fans of the original Guns & Steel will want to know: What's different about Renaissance? Here's a run-down on what Renaissance brings...
- A completely new set of cards, with all-new art, that can be played alone, or combined with the base game.
- A new way to win: Culture!
- A new way to claim Wonders: Glory!
Please read the Renaissance rule book (link below) for full details on how Culture and Glory works. In short: Culture increases tension in the game, as a new way to win is now in play; and, in order to claim some Wonders, players must place Glory cubes on them. But you can only place one cube per turn, and only if you qualify to do so. Will you get to build the Wonder before your opponents...?
The cards... will be made with Japanese 310gsm card stock (as used by premium TCGs in Japan), and finished with a German, casino-grade coating for slick handling. The images are printed using a 250LPI offset printing resolution - higher than your average cards (175LPI).
All backers will also receive a deluxe (2mm thick) postcard, signed from by designer, in their copy of Renaissance (art TBC)!
STAY TUNED! More artwork to be revealed during the campaign!
Simply add $10AUD to your pledge to receive the following extra box with your shipment of Renaissance!
The box "sleeve" is made from the same thick card as the game boxes and will neatly hold both editions of Guns & Steel together.
Please note that the reverse will sport the cover art of the original game, and the box will open from the top, not from the bottom as pictured.
Guns & Steel has already been played, enjoyed and reviewed. (Please note, these reviews were filmed with the original version of the game)...
>> Tom Vasel, The Dice Tower:
"A very solid design - very intriguing. Dice Tower Judgement: Approved!" - Tom Vasel
>> Board Game Brawl:
"I love it when you can use a card for multiple things, and I know other games have done the same thing... but I gotta tell you: it seemed so cool to me... and even if other games have done it, I'm not sure they have done it with as much style as Guns & Steel does. ...The game itself is really, really solid and fun." - Nick Meenachan
Guns & Steel: Renaissance is a hand-building game. Each player starts with an identical hand of cards which can be played face-down (as a resource) or face-up (as a development) to perform an action. Extra cards can be “bought” from a display, which are then added to your tableau. Players will progress through the different ages of human history, inventing technologies, building wonders and warring with the neighbouring civilisations.
Every turn consists of:
- 1) Resource Phase: You must play a card face-down as a resource card.
- 2) Development Phase: You must play a card face-up as a development card. You may activate the special action this development gives you.
- 3) Purchase Phase: You may buy one card from supply.
- 4) End of Turn Phase: – If you have 0 or 1 cards in hand: Check if you can gain a wonder and retrieve cards to hand. – If you have 2 or more cards in hand: Do nothing. The cards played this turn remain in your tableau. – NEW! Glory Step: Check if you have satisfied the requirements of any Wonder cards. If you do, you may place a Glory token on one of them.
The game ends...
- Once all the wonders have been built, Or, once every Space age card has been bought,
- Or, NEW! If a player has 15 or more Culture points.
Then, the player with the most Victory Points has built the most successful civilisation and wins the game!
Grail Games has previously partnered with Moaideas to bring the fabulous Guns & Steel to a wider audience. We are running this Kickstarter campaign to fund the printing and shipment of an all-new English version of the stand-alone expansion - Guns & Steel: Renaissance!
By supporting our campaign:
- You will secure yourself a copy! (The game will not necessarily be widely available after this campaign, depending on demand.)
- You will save money! (RRP will be $30, and we are offering free shipping to get KS backers a better deal.)
- You will get the game quickly! (Games are being printed and assembled in Taiwan right now! Your pledge will stamp our logo on the box cover and secure it for your game table.)
- You are helping to bring the game to a wider audience! (We can't afford to bring the games into Australia, etc., without your help - thank you!)
You will notice that only 140 copies are available via this Kickstarter campaign for those living outside of Oceania and SE Asia (plus those copies pledged for to be picked up at Essen in October.) This is because this is a campaign to fund the Grail Games edition of G&S:R.
Grail Games only has the Guns & Steel publishing and sales rights for Oceania and SE Asia. Moaideas and their (soon-to-be-announced) worldwide publishing partners have given us permission to provide a small number of copies for fans of the game. We are grateful for their support. If you miss out, please stay tuned. The game(s) will be made widely available in other territories in the future.
* The Moaideas/Grail version is a one time limited edition small print run, and it will be licensed to larger publishers for distribution in other regions in the future. Backers should be aware of the possible price difference and incompatibilities of the different editions in each region before pledging. If you want to ensure G&S:R matches your copy of G&S, this is the time to pledge.
All G&S:R backers have been offered the opportunity to pre-order Grail Game's upcoming Jeju Island at a massive discount! Please click here: https://grail-games.com/pre-order-jeju and read Campaign Update #3 for more details!
All pledge levels include all shipping costs! Please check this map to see which pledge level is for you:
Those living in the orange area may pledge at the SOUTHERN RENAISSANCE or COMPLETE STEEL levels. Everyone else should back at the WORLDWIDE RENAISSANCE or WORLDWIDE COMPLETE STEEL levels, except those wishing to pick the game up at the Spiel fair in Essen (marked in green).
* Worldwide copies of the game will ship from Taiwan.
We expect Guns & Steel to complete production and shipment to backers by the end of September, 2016. Thus far, Grail Games has, and is, on track to deliver all its past Kickstarter rewards early and we are confident we can deliver on time once again. We have production and fulfillment companies ready to make and deliver your game to your door!
- Please note: because we will wish to ship your games soon after the completion of this campaign, backers will need to complete a backer survey within a day or two after the end of this campaign.
- Please also note: Aus, NZ & SE Asian backers will be receiving copies of Guns & Steel in separate packages to Renaissance.
For those able to make the Spiel Fair in Essen this year, pick-up is available by pledging your support at the appropriate level. You will be sent an update detailing all relevant information closer to the event, but know that your game(s) will be available to collect at the Moaideas Game Design booth.
- Please note: If you miss the fail for any reason, you will be asked to pay extra shipping costs in order to get your game(s) to you.
- This "pre-order" could be the only way to secure a copy of the Moaideas version of G&S: R at this year's Essen as the European publishing rights are about to pass to another publishing partner.
- Follow Grail Games on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- Visit the Grail Games and Moaideas Game Design website.
- Visit Guns & Steel: Renaissance on the web for videos, forums, photos and more!
Grail Games is a card and board game publishing studio located in Sydney, Australia. Founded two years ago, we have already run six successful Kickstarter campaigns, all of which delivered games to backers at least early. We have published seven games in total, with the much touted reprint of Reiner Knizia's Medici on the way!
Grail Games’ aim is to produce board and card games that are:
- Family-friendly: We believe that games can strengthen friendships and families. All of our games can be enjoyed by players of a variety of ages.
- Fast to teach: our games have clean, straight-forward rules sets to decrease the number of barriers to entry.
- Deep and replayable: Games blossom when they offer a variety of pathways to explore. All our games have a high Depth>Box Size ratio.
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Risks and challenges
Grail Games has already produced six games, all currently available in game stores around the world. Since our first Kickstarter campaign was received EARLY by backers in January 2015, we have continued to send high quality products to backers on time! We have our systems well in place and use top manufacturers to produce and ship quality games around the world. Grail Games is beginning to forge a track record of delivering fun games with quality components… on time!
However, unforseen circumstances can hold up a project. This can happen at the point of manufacture or during shipment. Grail Games has given a time-frame for delivery of G&S:R that we believe is certainly achievable. If anything does affect the project, backers will be kept in the loop via regular backer updates at every step of the production and shipment process.
Note that the currency conversions in the pledge level blurbs are a guide only. Currency values may fluctuate during the campaign.
Also note: Pledge levels do include all shipping costs, and backers will receive their games before retail stores, but Grail Games cannot guarantee that retailers will not sell G&S:R at a cheaper price than Kickstarter supporters will “pay.”
Finally, Grail Games will happily send replacement copies of any game damaged in shipment to backers, etc., but if backers fail to inform Grail Games of a change in shipping address or similar, backers may be asked to pay extra costs for a replacement copy of the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (18 days)