About this project
"One Cinnamoan, one General Custard!"
You wipe your brow and take a new batch of doughnuts from the fryer. You search the little kitchen for cinnamon, avoiding the frantic activity of the other bakers. Your tips jingle in your pocket, and you smile, proud to work in the busiest little Doughnut Drive-Thru on the interstate!
Grail Games is pleased to present our planned 7th title in our famous Mike Line of small card games: Doughnut Drive-Thru!
DD-T is a game about making doughnuts (and other sweet treats.) It utilises an interesting worker placement/action selection mechanism, that uses mini wooden doughnuts! The game takes less than half an hour to play and is great fun for 2-4 players.
The game was originally released in Japan as Let's Make Bread!! and is designed by Ikaga-ya. Grail Games, with the help of board game illustrator/graphic designer extraordinaire Heiko Günther (Glory to Rome, Circus Flohcati, The Networks), have refreshed the design, and are looking for your support to produce this sweet game!
➼ Check out this video featuring Steve from Cardboard Insanity, in which he discusses and reviews the hole business:
1) Players begin the game with one of the starting doughnut cards. These treats must be Prepared and then Served. Doing so will earn you tips - most tips wins the game!
2) On a player's turn, they must either place doughnut pieces on an action card (thereby taking an action), or take doughnuts back off an action card. Usually, using two doughnut pieces to take an action will give players a bonus! Keep in mind that placing doughnuts can block other players from using action spaces :)
3) Once a recipe card has been Prepared and Served, it gives the baker Recognition! Flip the card over to show this.
4) Now, completed recipes can add to your abilities by increasing the results of your die rolls (required to Prepare and Serve.)
5) It's a race - once a player has Served 5 recipe cards, the game will end. Then, whoever has the highest amount of tips on their Served cards will win! The game also comes with a Baker card for each player which gives a special ability to you for the entire game.
Each copy of Doughnut Drive-Thru includes the following ingredients...
...and a rules booklet, all contained within a sturdy, two-piece box (110x110x50mm).
- All cards will be 63x88mm in size.
- The doughnut peices will be wooden and 15x15x6mm
- The die will be 14mm
Should we reach our stretch goal targets, the game will look and feel even better...!
Join us on our funding journey and with your support we can make this groovy little game even better!
Woot! Thank you for your support - let's make some doughnuts!!
Our priority is always to produce games that look and feel great. Increasing the quality of the card stock used to 310gsm Ivorycore will be sweet!
In DD-T, rolling a "1" is always a fail :( Changing the single pip on the die to a circle, or doughnut, will help you never forget. (Sample art TBC.)
Linen finish cards, anyone? An expensive but exquisite touch to make the game pop on your table!
Having little wooden doughnut pieces in the game is already pretty cool, but reaching this stretch goal will allow us to decorate the doughnuts with some tiny, silk-screened sprinkles :D (Sample art TBC.)
We are pleased to offer the following three add-ons during this campaign...
To add these items to your pledge, you must manually increase your pledge by the amounts listed below. To do this, select your pledge level and add to the amount when asked, or click "Manage your pledge" to change it at a later date.
1) ALL BACKERS may add extra copies of Doughnut Drive-Thru to any pledge level above TIP JAR. To do so, add $18AUD per extra copy to your pledge
2) AMERICAN AND CANADIAN BACKERS may add a copy of our newest title, Jeju Island, to their pledge (any backer level) for $40AUD (sent to you in November.) Please note that this is approximately MSRP, but DOES include shipping costs!
3) AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND BACKERS may add a copy of our civ-building card game, Guns & Steel, to their pledge (any backer level) for $25AUD (sent to you in November.) Add this on to the STEEL SWEETS pledge level to receive both G&S games!
Well... yes and no. Worldwide shipping is certainly not free, however, we are happy to swallow this cost if it will mean getting this great little game into your hands! Your pledge includes shipment to you, no matter where you live. Unfortunately, in order to keep shipping costs low, we are not able to include lots of promo items, etc., with our Kickstarter campaigns.
Backers who pledge at backer levels that include copies of our other titles will receive these sometime in November. DD-T is due to be sent to you in April, 2017.
Yes! Doughnut Drive-Thru will be sent to EU backers from within the EU! (UK backers should note that Circus Flohcati will NOT be sent to you from within the EU.)
By supporting Doughnut Drive-Thru on Kickstarter, not only are you helping us to produce the game in the first place, but you are ensuring that:
- You will receive your copy of DD-T at or below retail cost, considering worldwide shipping is included!
- You will receive your copy of DD-T at least a few weeks prior to the game being made available at online and bricks & mortar game stores.
- Your support will make the game better! More stretch goals means more components and a better quality.
Note: Grail Games runs "no-frills" Kickstarter campaigns without promotional extras that increase costs and time-frames. We intend to get a high-quality product to your door as quickly as possible. All our campaigns thus far have delivered on time or earlier.
Thank you for your tremendous support!
Heiko did such a tremendous job giving our previous title Circus Flohcati a refreshing new look, so we just had to ask him back for more! We are so pleased with how DD-T has turned out and are more than happy to show you some of the cards from the game below! More art sneak peaks coming soon :)
Grail Games has recently published the English language edition of Jeju Island. Originally from Korea, this game takes place on Jeju - the famous tourist destination in Korea.
A family game that combines a mancala mechanism with card collecting, its quirky and charming look and big fun-factor should be a hit.
➼ Watch this overview of how to play from last year's Spiel fair in Essen...
Note: We can only ship this game to the US and Canada during this campaign.
Circus Flohcati was designed by Reiner Knizia. Originally released in 1998. Grail Games has just released an all-new edition of this fun, push-your-luck card game. Can you collect all the acts required to put on a stellar flea circus? With art by Heiko Günther, this new edition is visually striking!
➼ Watch the Game Night! gang play the game...!
Note: We can only ship this game to the US, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Guns & Steel: Renaissance has only just successfully been Kickstarted and sent to backers. Still not in Australian stores, here is your chance to grab a copy of this stand-alone expansion to the original Guns & Steel.
A civ-building card game in a small box with unique mechanisms, we hope you will enjoy it!
Note: We can only ship this game to Australia and New Zealand during this campaign.
Elevenses is Grail's best-selling title. In fact, we have trouble keeping it in print, so why not snag a copy through this campaign? Elevenses is a game all about serving the best morning tea you can! With identical 11-card decks, players must choose when to play cards to the table from their kitchens, while keeping an eye on everyone else's spreads!
➼ Couple Vs Cardboard reviews Elevenses…
Note: We can only ship this game to Australia and New Zealand during this campaign.
Cat Box is #6 in our Mike Line of small card games (DD-T will be #7) and it is just about to be sent out to backers. It is due to arrive in stores in early December. Backers of DD-T who also want a copy of Cat Box will receive theirs in November, after the original backers, but before retail.
Cat Box is a game all about putting cats in boxes - just where they like to be! It's a great game for the family, with adorable art by Aza Chen.
➼ Watch Family & Games play Cat Box...
Grail Games is a card and board game publishing studio located in Sydney, Australia. Founded two & a half years ago, we have already run seven successful Kickstarter campaigns, all of which delivered games to backers early. We focus on reprints and producing English language versions of great games from Asia!
Grail Games’ aim is to produce board and card games that are:
- Family-friendly: We believe that games can strengthen friendships and families. All of our games can be enjoyed by players of a variety of ages.
- Fast to teach: our games have clean, straight-forward rules sets to decrease the number of barriers to entry.
- Deep and replayable: Games blossom when they offer a variety of pathways to explore. All our games have a high Depth>Box Size ratio.
➼ Visit the Grail Games website!
➼ Visit Doughnut Drive-Thru on BGG for videos, forums, photos and more!
And feel free to show your support across social media with the following downloadable avatars:
Risks and challenges
Grail Games has already produced nine games, all currently available in game stores around the world. Since our first Kickstarter campaign was received EARLY by backers in January 2015, we have continued to send high quality products to backers on time! We have our systems well in place and use a top manufacturer to produce and ship quality games around the world. Grail Games is beginning to forge a track record of delivering fun games with quality components… on time!
However, unforseen circumstances can hold up a project. This can happen at the point of manufacture or during shipment. Grail Games has given a time-frame for delivery of Doughnut Drive-Thru that we believe is certainly achievable. If anything does affect the project, backers will be kept in the loop via regular backer updates at every step of the production and shipment process.
Note that the currency conversions in the pledge level blurbs are a guide only. Currency values may fluctuate during the campaign.
Also note: Pledge levels do include all shipping costs, and backers will receive their games before retail stores, but Grail Games cannot guarantee that retailers will not sell Doughnut Drive-Thru at a cheaper price than Kickstarter supporters will “pay.”
Finally, Grail Games will happily send replacement copies of any game damaged in shipment to backers, etc., but if backers fail to inform Grail Games of a change in shipping address or similar, backers may be asked to pay extra costs for a replacement copy of the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (21 days)