Food He.ro's social mission is to develop more food service and food tech businesses by assisting them through education and training. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on April 19, 2014.
About this project
Food He.ro is a cutting-edge Chicago social enterprise (L3C) food tech lab/incubator that will help accelerate innovations for food service and food tech businesses. The social mission of Food He.ro is to develop more food service and food tech businesses by assisting them through education and training. Our food tech lab/incubator is ideal for traditional food service businesses such as restaurants, bars, cafes, bakeries, and food trucks as well as for modern food tech startups such as mobile/online ordering & delivery, restaurant ordering-payment apps, grocery apps, farm to table apps, recipe-cooking apps, and more.
Food He.ro will assist in addressing the following inefficiencies that entrepreneurs face when starting a new business:
Food Business Startup Villains
- Lack of Access to Capital
- Educational Barriers
- Lack of Access to Commercial Kitchens
- Lack of Product & Concept Testing
- Lack of Tools & Resources
- Lack of Subject Matter Expertise
- Lack of Technical Assistance
- A Digital Divide
With the empowerment and trainings offered by Food He.ro, food businesses will be able to tackle the villains that are our food system’s inefficiencies:
Food System Villains
- Food Deserts/Food Shortages
- Food Waste
- Fast & Processed Foods
- Policy Issues
Food He.ro teams will go through an application process to become some of the first food businesses to be admitted. Application requirements will include demonstrating which problems will be solved, what and how many jobs will be created, and the scope of their financial need. The application process will begin May 1 and will continue for one month. The program will kick off in July 2014.
Food He.ro will take 5 business teams (maximum 3 persons per team) through an 8-week training program to both implement the commencement of their respective businesses and assist the businesses from ideation to implementation of the food business concepts
Food He.ro will leverage the technology community and co-working space at Blue 1647 www.blue1647.com in assisting its food businesses. Blue 1647 is an entrepreneurship and technology innovation center focused on education (through classes and workshops), workforce development (through internships), business acceleration (through Hybernate), and economic development in technology and 21st century skills. Food He.ro has established a partnership with Blue 1647 to start developing and assisting communities of food tech entrepreneurs.
Food He.ro needs your help to be able to help launch the first five business teams at the food tech lab/incubator with training programs in the following manner:
Total Project Costs:$8150
- 1.Leasing @ Blue 1647 to access classroom, conference rooms, co-working space, and internet service
- - -------------$ 2500
- Commercial kitchen rental for product or concept development
- --------------$ 1400
- Consultant and Instructor fees to provide subject matter experts and consultants to assist food businesses with technical assistance, licensing, food recipes/cooking, and legal
- --------------$ 2000
- Project Backer Costs (Sticker, Bracelets, Lab Coat)
- Kickstarter and Amazon (up to 10%)
Student/Team Total Costs: $1850
- Purchase materials and books for training and certifications - -------------$ 850
- Purchase of 3 tablets for Internet access, presentations, design, video, and project management - - ------------$1000
As a result of our trainings at the Food He.ro platform, entrepreneurs will be able to
- ·Test their concepts
- ·Have access to capital
- ·Be able to increase employment
Food He.ro has partnered and with the following institution to offer the best in class in education and certifications:
Steve Blank - Lean Launchpad Educator & Incubator/Accelerator Seminars
Javier Haro Co-founder/CEO :: Visionary, restaurateur, personal chef, food blogger, educator, and serial entrepreneur.
Juan Saldana Co-founder/CIO* :: Designer, inventor, thought leader, serial entrepreneur, foodie, and educator.
Risks and challenges
Risk or Challenges
1. Scheduling and coordinating monthly workshops, bootcamps, and courses
2. Digital Divide on usage of tablets, smartphone apps, and social media web tools
3. Challenge to make all teams implement their business model beyond their trainingLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)