Beginning in the 1950's, renowned artist Harry Bertoia created beautiful metal sculptures which, when activated, create shimmering ambient drones. He then assembled a massive, harmonious orchestra of these sculptures and called it Sonambient.
Bertoia self released his first album in 1970 and in 1978, after being diagnosed with terminal cancer, selected 10 more recordings. He didn't live long enough to see the records but they became legendary (and quite valuable) in the art/sound world.
In 2016 Important Records released an 11 CD box set collecting all 11 of Harry Bertoia's original Sonambient records in replica packaging with a 80 page book of essays and photos.
This will be a one time pressing of 500 copies unless we get additional funding and can afford a pressing size of 1000 copies.
Gold vinyl option is a Kickstarter exclusive.
NEW REWARDS ADDED Updated: Fri. Aug 24, 2018
EUROPEAN SHIPPING UPDATE: August 15
Due to the high cost of shipping from the USA to European destinations we've added separate pledge levels for supporters from the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands & Norway.
If you are from a European destination other than one of these 6 countries please email us and we will create a separate pledge level for you.
- 11 Tape download is entirely different material than the box set.
- Box set will include digital downloads.
You can help us do what would otherwise not be possible - release a massive 11 LP boxed set, putting Bertoia's original records on vinyl again, remastered from the original tapes for deluxe vinyl.
- Heavy duty tip-on style outer box with metallic foil print.
with audio remastered from the original tapes
- Sonambient book documenting the Sonambient experience through modern and archival essays and photography. This version is updated with recently discovered archival photos, scans and revelations from the Bertoia tape archive.
- 11 replica records - Remastered audio and high quality pressing ensures that these LPs sound far superior to Bertoia's original pressings.
This remains the only Sonambient book published and it is updated with info and revelations from the Sonambient digital archive. Included are:
- Introduction by Sonambient archivist, John Brien
- Smithsonian interview with Harry Bertoia
- Essays and photography from Bertoia friend and author Beverly Twitchell, Ph. D
- Materials from the Bertoia archive
- Modern & archival Bertoia Sonambient barn photographs
- Reflections on Bertoia from David Sefton, Peter Greene, Thomas M. Welsh, David Harrington (Kronos Quartet), Lesta, Celia & Val Bertoia
Risks and challenges
Possible, though unlikely, are production delays associated with pressing vinylLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)