About this project
The project will fund the production of Songs of Uprising, an album to inspire and galvanize us in shaping our personal and collective futures. The album of poetry and music will be available as CD and download, along with a pamphlet of the poems. I am the poet and project creator.
Why Songs of Uprising?
The experiment of life on earth is in a moment of crisis and opportunity. The crisis is well documented, and amplified perhaps by the election result here in the USA; the opportunity gets less attention, but is clear. We humans face a call to rediscover a way of being that can support all of life, during our lifetimes and beyond.
The good news is that an uprising is already underway and gathering momentum rapidly. Individuals are embracing their own healing to reclaim their full majesty as human beings and find an active role in the movement for change. Collectively we are uprising to confront that which is destructive of life and fashioning new ways of living that are sustainable, just and more compelling than the visions of the future currently being offered . This is our journey home.
I believe poetry can serve to celebrate and inspire this uprising, to encourage ourselves in both our own inner quest and in connecting newly with each other to birth a new culture for humanity. It is my prayer that this cycle of poems can help guide us home.
What's Next? The Plan
With the success of this kickstarter;
- I will turn the recorded files into an album, CD and download, with an accompanying pamphlet containing the poems.
- I will begin sharing the poems with others, both online, and in person. I will organize a series of launch events and readings (including those offered as Rewards for Pledges made in this kickstarter). I trust this will allow my work to touch people more deeply.
Then, using the powerful process of enquiry contained in this cycle of poems;
- I will create a workshop in 1- and 2-day versions and offer this throughout the US and abroad
I am also considering if I can offer this process in other forms, specifically;
- as a full-length book
- as a TEDx talk or conference input
- as the essence of a consulting and coaching offer to be made to organizations and individuals considering how they can best meet the challenges of this moment
- plus any other unforeseen forms of contribution that open up
Through all of this my aim is to develop a new, full-time career supporting and inspiring the movement for change.
How You can Support This
My request is two-fold;
- please pledge money to support this project
- please share this with any friends who may want to be a part of this
Samples of the Poetry
How This Came About. The Backstory
I feel as if these poems have been handed to me to share, ever since I sat with my friend Martin Del Carpio in a California garden in August, weaving together his music and my words just for fun. Something was born that day, and fate then conspired to have more words flow, for us to meet with Pepe Chiriboga, another super-talented and well-known musician from Peru, and for the songs to come together in this form.
Since our studio time in Lima in early October I have been able to begin to share the recordings; the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
- What a contribution!
- So grateful that you are singing your song, Jon.
- I don't think that at this moment any words I find would really do justice to my response to having just listened to your new album in it's entirety. It is truly remarkable. I closed my eyes and bathed in the beauty of the words and music. I think its impact could be immense
Grace intervened again to have the timing of this album coincide with the election in the USA, and the heightened awareness this brings to the need for us, ordinary citizens of the world, to take responsibility for shaping our future.
So now my work is to serve that which has come to me by sharing these words as widely as possible.
Risks and challenges
I have already funded the recording of the album at a cost of $3 500 from my savings. The kickstarter target is set to recoup my next round of costs, for producing the album and the pamphlet. The target is $3 000.
So the actual cost of this project is $6 500. I have decided to set the kickstarted target only for the amount not yet spent, because unless we meet or exceed $3,000, all pledges will be forfeited.
To be transparent, such is my belief in this project that, should the kickstarter not reach the target, I will produce the CDs anyway, funding it by whatever means I can. This is the first significant risk.
But my hope is that so many people want to be a part of this project that we exceed the target and I can begin to recoup the dollars already spent (studio time, musicians, engineering, design, travel and lodging - $3 500 all told).
If we blow past the target and funds exceed $6 500 the surplus will go to support me in the next stages of the plan above, spreading the impact of this body of work. This is also where the second element of risk comes in. A super-high level of response to the kickstarter would require a second printing of CDs, putting a squeeze on my wish to have the fulfillment complete in early December. This would be a cool problem to have and to solve!
Lastly I want to let you know that I am completely confident in my ability to complete the project. In the past I have set up and run businesses, and brought 2 books into the world, one self-published. None of this project lies outside my range of previous experience.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (23 days)