Delaterra, Numar, and Jerta are three countries set to collide in a cultural feast of bloodshed, sorcery, and adventure!
To get in touch with me about my project--
- Email me: email@example.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ErinGitchell
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/erin_gitchell
- Or message me through Kickstarter
- FUNDED!!! We did it! Thank you so much to all my generous backers, I couldn't have done it without you! At this point, all surplus pledges will go straight to my book, specifically better editing. I budgeted for basic copy-editing but it would be great if I could do heavy/developmental editing, which is pricier but usually results in a better finished product. I am just SO happy I'll be able to finish book one by the end of this year! As I said in Update #7, you aren't just giving me time to finish my first book, you are helping me launch my writing career, and that's something very special.
- New backer level available as of 1:04 a.m. 09/05/2013! For a minimum pledge of $100 you can now become a minor, random character AND get everything in the Loot Reward! What a deal! See Update #4 for a little bit more about this decision.
- New backer level for the final 24 hours! Get the unique T-shirt + a copy of the eBook for the "Last Minute T-Shirt Hunter" pledge of $25. Act fast! See Update #8 for a mock-up of the design.
- Volume One Magazine wrote a very nice article about my project! Here's a big THANK YOU to them and here's the link to the article: http://volumeone.org/articles/2013/08/29/6106_a_writers_novel_approach
- All pledges $10.00 and up will receive an early release PDF copy of my book! This copy will be post-edit, but may not be the final version of the story. Still, it is backer exclusive, so you can be the first to read my book.
- Now you can find me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/erin_gitchell) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ErinGitchell) !
- See Update #6 to meet my writing buddy <3
Hello, my name is Erin and I'm a librarian. I'm also a mom! My ambition is to write an epic fantasy series and become an author in my favorite genre. I have a Master's in Library and Information Science and a B.A. in Modern languages.
I have an (epic) fantasy in my head and it must be let out! Initially my plan was to tell the story in three separate characters' voices, one book per character. After much discussion with friends and loved ones, I decided to combine the voices in alternating chapters over the span of 2-3 books. Ash (who is really Lady Flora Delarosa), Dagger, and Knives live in the present and share the story in first-person. Currently the story is on track to be told in two volumes, but it may be expanded to three depending on how this first project goes. I will NOT expand the story to three volumes if it can be told in two. Besides, trilogies are the "thing" right now and I like to toot my own horn. Toot toot.
I already have 80,000+ words written. The problem is that about 50,000 of those words belong in the first volume and the rest go in the second. My aim is to have about 100,000 words per book. The title of this volume (The Sowing of Rebellion) and the series title (The Farmers of Delaterra) are not final.
Lady Flora Delarosa spends the majority (or perhaps the entirety...) of the first volume as Ashara, a white horse. Flora's initial goal is revenge on the sorcerer who killed her family, but her interests change as she learns more about the world around her and what she has the ability to do for Delaterra. Her unlikely companion is Stellon Defuego, an ex-knight battling some serious emotional trauma who is also a member of the underground movement to usurp Marcus, King of Delaterra.
Lady Dagriella (Dagger) Musselupke is the half-Jertan daughter of renowned zerkar Sir Patik Musselupke. She is on a mission to get to the bottom of her confusing visions, which she believes will someday split her head open. Dagger accompanies Flora/Ash and Stellon partway through volume one and will rejoin them after she realizes they are in mortal danger.
Kevyn (Knives) Musselupke is brother to Dagger and spends half his time as a sacred Luna Knight and the other half orchestrating the assassination of King Marcus as part of the same underground movement Stellon belongs to. He is accompanied by young Numarian Prince Teodorik (whom he kidnapped) and Rik's wetnurse, Freya.
On the surface, Delaterra may seem like a pleasant place to live. Its citizens go about their lives with steadfast purpose, the country is not overwhelmed by poverty, and most citizens seem to rally behind King Marcus as he crushes rebellion. Yet there is subtle disquiet among the citizens as the economy slowly crumbles, neighbors disappear, and any who openly challenge the King's actions are taken away for "questioning" by the King's Eyes and Ears.
The neighboring nation Jerta was conquered years ago and now King Marcus reaches towards the North: his fist closes around Numar, a nation weak with grief and sickness. Is there no end to his greed, his lust for slaughter? There is hope for the Delaterrans! A group who call themselves the Farmers are organizing a rebellion. Slowly but surely, they gain the trust of a nation torn by fear and pride, duty and doubt. Only they know the real cause of Marcus' insatiable desire for power.
The funding period will end on September 7, 2013. Hopefully it is successful!
- September: The next few weeks will be spent organizing my time off work so that it can be used to its full potential. This means doing a lot of scheduling so I will know where I am going to write and when.
- September-October: This is when I will be contacting backers who will be written into my story as characters. We may communicate via email, Skype, phone calls, or a combination....whatever works, just so long as I can recreate you as a member of my world in the best way possible.
- October: Plans will be finalized. I will send out queries to editors for quotes and time estimates.
- October-November: This is when I will be writing! Yes, it coincides with NaNoWriMo....this is intentional: last year I was able to crank out a large chunk of writing and hope to do so again this year.
- November: EDITING TIME! My last week off will be dedicated to reading the entire book and editing it as much as I can.
- December: Time to send it off to the professional editors. Hopefully this will take 4-6 weeks.
- January: If all goes well with the editor(s), I will start sending out queries to publication houses at this point. This process can take MONTHS.
- July: If I haven't had any positive feedback from publishing companies by mid-summer, I will start the process of self-publishing. This will take a month or two.
What Your Support Will Fund
- Cost of living (rent, transportation, utilities etc.) for one month. My boss has generously allowed me to take four weeks of unpaid time off and two weeks of paid time off should I reach my funding goal.
- Fees associated with trying to publish a book (copy editor, printed manuscripts, down payments etc.)
- If publishing with a company fails, then I will self-publish in order to get backers their copies. This is my backup plan.
- Prizes, taxes, fees, mailing costs etc.
Basically, at the rate I'm going (a few hundred words a week at best), it will take me YEARS to finish my book. If my project is successfully funded, I'll be able to devote undivided attention to my book for hours at a time. Any artist (whether they are a writer, painter, potter or other) knows that the quality of their work is directly dependent on the amount of undivided attention they can give it. It's difficult for me to immerse myself in my world and write detailed, quality descriptions of Delaterra when I can only be in my world for twenty minutes, here and there. With your funding, I can be immersed in my world for hours at a time! With your funding, I can start living my dream as a full-time writer. This isn't the only story I have in my head, it's simply the one that needs to be written first.
If We Reach More Than the Minimum....
- I can devote more money to quality editing for a better overall product and a better chance at publishing with a company
- All books from the $25 tier on up can be upgraded to HARDCOVER!
- I will be able to purchase a faster and more reliable machine for writing
- Additional funding will go towards the next book(s) in the series and paying it forward to other Kickstarters. I simply love the philosophy behind Kickstarter and constantly wish I had more to give to other creative people.
About the Prizes
Here is a more detailed description of what you can expect to receive if you back my project:
- Bookmarks: Right now I'm envisioning unique scenes and character renderings on a standard-size, two-sided, glossy bookmark. I have a connection with a great graphic artist who is excited about creating these custom designs. Minimum pledge of $5.
- eBooks: I can definitely offer PDF versions of my story, which are compatible with most eReaders, tablets, and computers. Depending on how the publishing goes, I may also be able to offer Kindle, iBook, and/or EPUB versions. Minimum pledge of $10.
- Early release PDF: All pledges of $10.00 and up will receive a bonus early PDF version of my story, delivered electronically.
- Paperback Books: All physical books will be trade paperback size, which is approximately 5.5" x 8" (depends on publisher). They will have a color cover and high quality pages. Minimum pledge of $25.
- T-Shirts: I will be working with a local company and the aforementioned graphic artist to create some unique, novel-themed shirts. I'm not quite sure what that means just yet...perhaps we could have a vote when the time comes! Minimum pledge of $50.
- Map and Character Tree prints: Both prints will be artistically redesigned and beautiful. They will be printed on 8" x 10" glossy paper, perfect for a small poster. I may contemplate offering larger, more detailed prints of the world map. Minimum pledge of $15.
- Becoming a character: This is the pledge level I am the most excited about! I absolutely love the idea of incorporating enthusiastic backers into my story. Minimum pledge of $100. *A note on making backers characters: While I believe we will have an excellent time collaborating on the best way to incorporate you into my book, I ultimately reserve the right to exclude your input. This would ONLY be in the event that you repeatedly insist on being written in a way that would be detrimental to my story or is insulting/abusive to me. I sincerely doubt anyone on this site, let alone a backer, would do such a thing, but I need to include this bit here. You would still receive acknowledgment of your contribution in the back, as well as all other items in the pledge reward.
- If you have any questions about any of the rewards, or would like to see different rewards, feel free to message me and I'll see what I can do. I'm a flexible person and want to make sure this is a great experience for everyone.
- A note on international shipping: I greatly appreciate all pledges from oversea backers! Sadly, international shipping is very pricey, so I'm asking you to pay about half the cost of shipping to make it more affordable for everyone. Thank you very much for understanding.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Unknown waiting periods: the BIGGEST frustration, hands-down, for this project will be waiting to hear from publishing companies. There is absolutely nothing a writer can do to "speed things up"....we are strictly at the mercy of the publishing companies. However, with enough prodding they generally do reply eventually!
Writer's Block: it happens. There are a variety of "cures" but unfortunately for me the only cure that seems to work is walking away and doing something else. It wastes time, but in the long run it's probably a good thing to take breaks. However, I am not worried about being able to finish my book!
Even if I do successfully land a contract, I may not be able to get backers their copies when I said I would. If this is the case, I will do my best to supply advanced copies so they still get them before anyone else.
If you REALLY want to be in my book but can't pledge $100, pledge what you can and then send me a message telling me you REALLY want to be in my book somewhere. I'm sure we can work something out!