HOT OFF THE PRESS
Motorbike Writer: Women rider motorcycle bags look chic
DealerNews.com: MotoChic launches Kickstarter for ladies backpack
BIKEEXIF: Hot Picks: Women’s Motorcycle Gear
While road tripping on a motorcycle to visit friends in Sacramento one weekend, I borrowed my boyfriend's backpack and found it to be ill-fitting and very masculine in design. I went looking for my own gear and couldn't find anything that was functional and stylish.
For the past 18 months, I've been pursuing my dream to design functional, fashionable gear for women on the go. Today, I'm excited to unveil the Lauren - a bag that quickly and easily converts from a backpack to a tote bag.
My mission is to elevate women's gear from the "shrink it and pink it" approach taken by most manufacturers to MotoChic. I've designed a collection of high quality, design-conscious clothing and accessories for use on or off the bike. Whether you ride motorcycles, are a student, or a busy mom you are going to love these bags for their style and versatility.
INTRODUCING THE LAUREN
We've come a long way, baby. My muse for this design was iconic American model, actress, and motorcycle enthusiast, Lauren Hutton. Did you know Lauren was the original vice-president of the Guggenheim Museum Motorcycle Club? Yes, she's badass and so is this bag. Exclusively designed as the ultimate lifestyle bag, the Lauren converts from a functional backpack to a chic, everyday purse and is the only bag you'll ever need for on or off road adventures. Wait until you see this beauty in person…
Classic Styling with Practical Details
Whether you’re commuting to the office, getting away for the weekend, or taking a Sunday afternoon ride on curvy back roads, the Lauren is the only bag you’ll ever need.
- Patent-pending design converts quickly and easily from a sleek, aerodynamic backpack to a stylish tote
- Lightweight, yet offers stability without the rigidity of hard sided backpacks
- Clever hideaway compartments hold the backpack harness, tote straps, and waist belt
- Shoulder straps for tote mode are long, 100% genuine leather for durability and ease of use with bulky jackets
Take a Peek Inside…
- The interior features a spacious main compartment with three open pockets and a full-length zippered pocket
- The soft, lined protective pocket in the back fits a 13" laptop, a tablet, 2L hydration pack, or back protector for riding
Signature moto lining is PU coated
for water resistance and protection against spills/stains
- Outside zipper opens to reveal a full-length pocket, half pocket for easy access to personal items, and a key leash
Looking good...how about the outside?
- Made from durable, lightweight, easy to clean, polyester
- Leather side closures reduce wind resistance when bag is in backpack mode
- Large reflective panels on the back for nighttime visibility
- Two exterior side pockets ensure ready access to water bottles, phones, sunglasses, or other essentials
- Main compartment has a two way zipper that opens halfway to protect items from falling out
- Hidden dust/rain fly with reflective logo and metal snap hooks keep the fly attached to your backpack through wind, rain, and high speed
- Bottom is constructed with high strength 1000 denier polyester
- Backpack harness curves inward to better fit women's shoulders
- Hydration tube holders on left and right side of harness (great for hiking, riding, biking, festivals, and more)
- Sternum strap, waist belt, and underarm straps are fully adjustable for a tailored fit
Don't take our word for it
I either am wearing a big backpack that's not very cute or a tiny crossbody purse that I can't carry anything in. This is a good combo of both. :) -Kate S.
I'm stoked that there is someone out there who is finally making gear towards lady moto riders! When I ride, I'm rocking a big, bulky bag because I like it to buckle across my chest to make sure it's secure (which, thankfully this bag also does). -Laura L.
I think your bag is the best I've ever seen...plus it's made by a female who knows what a female likes/needs. - Valerie T.
- Made from durable,lightweight polyester
- 100% leather shoulder straps & quilting
- Corrosion resistant YKK zippers
- Dimensions: H 16 in x W 12.5 in x D 5 in (H: 41 cm x W 32 cm x D 13 cm)
- Tote strap drop: 14 in (35.6 cm)
- Volume: 915 cubic inches (15 L)
ENCORE: THE VALERIE
The Valerie is the perfect accessory for taking your essentials with you on or off the bike. As versatile and performance-oriented as its namesake, 7x land speed record holding motorcyclist and drag racer Valerie Thompson, this little number can be worn in 5 different ways. 6 card slots and an interior zippered pocket with custom moto print ensure speedy access to all of your necessities. Makes a great companion piece with the Lauren.
The Dare Devil’s in the Details
- Made from durable, lightweight polyester
- PU coated interior for strength and water resistance
- Silver-toned hardware and leather tassel zipper pull
- Corrosion resistant YKK zippers
- Dimensions: H 4” x W 1” x L 7.5” (H 10.2cm x W 19cm x D 2.5cm)
- Leather wrist strap: 6”
- Adjustable nylon strap drop: 28”
THE SWEET REWARDS
BIG SHOUT OUT TO
Risks and challenges
A great deal of thought and extensive research has gone into my MotoChic journey. I conducted a nationwide survey to determine what women riders want and need. I've road tested the bags and have incorporated valuable feedback into several rounds of prototypes over the last year and a half. I've also collaborated with outdoor gear designers and production experts to ensure the quality and craftsmanship of the bags.
Up to this point, I've invested my own time, money and energy to get the bags manufacturing-ready. Your contributions will go to cover the first production runs of the Lauren and Valerie. For each additional $10k raised over the goal, I'll be able to offer the Lauren bag in different colors. Next up: red leather/black and white leather/black. What do you want the next color for the Lauren to be?
Production schedules are sometimes difficult to predict. However, I can say with confidence that I've lined up a factory with the capabilities to source all of the specialty materials and equipment to manufacture the bags. My goal is to deliver high quality products within the time frame allocated. I will be very communicative throughout the process, and should the unexpected happen, I will provide detailed updates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)