Catalogue 18: Bring the world’s most beautiful golf magazine to life
- “Eye-popping” — Lorne Rubenstein, Hall of Fame golf writer
- “Marvellous” — Jason Logan, SCOREGolf magazine
- “Bold, professional and striking” — Irish Golfer magazine
- "One of, if not the best, golf-course-centric publications in existence" — Prairie Golf Magazine
A golf course is its own art form, a combination of nature's palette and cunning human design. The right image of a seductive fairway or green might make you want to jump on a plane, cross an ocean and see it for yourself.
Until now, no subscription publication has put these incredible images first and foremost. But Catalogue 18 showcases the art of golf. It's truly the world’s most beautiful golf magazine – or it will be, with a successful Kickstarter campaign. We're ready to print and ship, but we can’t do it without supporters and subscribers. That means you.
- After Dec. 21, 2018, please subscribe or check us out at www.catalogue18.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dec. 20: We've uploaded a custom gift card at the bottom of this page. If you've bought the magazine as a gift, download it and tuck it into an envelope or stocking!
- Dec. 17: We're funded, but still taking pledges and orders for discounted subscriptions until Dec. 21. Every dollar helps!
Dec. 12: Great news! Our printer, Prolific Group, has offered to include a four-print set of 8x10 lithographs from the magazine for all new AND existing "Collector" and "Patron" pledges! Thanks to Chris Young and everyone at Prolific for what's sure to be a beautiful addition to these reward tiers.
We’ve spent more than a year and a half developing a lavish annual magazine filled with photographs, fine art and illustrations of golf’s most spectacular courses and landscapes. Others use pictures to illustrate stories – Catalogue 18 starts with the images. Two dozen highly accomplished photographers and artists are together in print for the first time, supported by essays, features and commentary from around the game.
The magazine is produced by a former newspaper editor, writer and golf fanatic along with two award-winning magazine designers. The result is sumptuous. Sharp design, high-end paper stock, perfect binding and coffee-table heft, with enough images in each issue to captivate a golf lover for months. But no garish advertising. Even at 300 pages, there’s no room for clutter in the world’s most beautiful golf magazine.
A startup publication with no ad revenue? That’s where crowdfunding comes in. We need your help to bring Catalogue 18 to life. We appreciate any support you can give. And if you give it now, you can subscribe get the first issue at $15 off the regular cover price.
Again, the first issue of the magazine is ready to go. There’s no “maybe” in this Kickstarter – we need to hit our crowdfunding target to print and ship. The funding is all or nothing.
If you do subscribe, you’ll never be billed for an issue until it prints. And you’ll always be able to unsubscribe at any time. But why would you want to? It’s the world’s most beautiful golf magazine – or it will be, if you help us bring it to life right now.
The magazine is edited by Guy Nicholson, a writer, editor and independent publisher with a golf obsession and 20 years of advanced media experience, most of it at Canada's national newspaper. It’s designed by Vanessa Wyse and Nicola Hamilton, the award-winning team at Studio Wyse. We've also benefited from the wisdom of a brigade of advisers and friends in media and business.
But the stars of Catalogue 18 are its contributing photographers and artists – more than two dozen of them, established names and up-and-comers. Dave Baysden, Channing Benjamin, Josh Bills, Aidan Bradley, David Cannon, Steve Carr, Mike Cocking, Tony Harris, Linda Hartough, Gary Kellner, Russell Kirk, Patrick Koenig, Gary Lisbon, Kevin Markham, Kaia Means, Michael Miller, Kevin Murray, Brian Oar, Wood Sabold, David Scaletti, Evan Schiller, Jacob Sjöman, Stephen Szurlej and Lee Wybranski. Every page reveals more of their jaw-dropping images:
- “Catalogue 18” ... like 18 holes, right? Of course!
- Is it a magazine or a book? It has the styling of a magazine and the indulgent feel of a coffee-table book.
- Is it also available in stores? For now, it can be purchased only by subscription.
- What's the publication schedule? Annual.
- What's it cost to subscribe? Catalogue 18's regular price is $60 U.S. plus shipping, but it comes at a discount during the Kickstarter campaign. Some of you may see slightly irregular figures in the reward tiers because of the way Kickstarter makes us convert between floating currencies.
- Is there a web edition? You can find us online (and on social media), but Catalogue 18 is about making a beautiful print magazine.
- "The world's most beautiful golf magazine" — really? There are some excellent publications out there. But this one is different. It's all about reproducing these incredible images at their optimum scale and quality. Catalogue 18 is 9.5 by 12.5 inches, printed on luxurious art-quality paper that begs to be touched, held and shared. It’s an elegant gift or a striking conversation piece that will take pride of place in your office, home library or coffee-table stack.
- 300 pages with no ad sponsorship? We know, it's huge! But yes — while we're open to hearing from potential partners, the magazine is about a reader experience worth subscribing to. That means no visual clutter and no intrusive outside ads.
- How do subscriptions work? A Kickstarter subscription pledge entitles you to a discounted copy of the launch issue and a rolling subscription to subsequent issues. You will always have the option to unsubscribe at any time, and you'll never be billed for an issue until it's ready to print.
- I want to buy Catalogue 18 as a gift. Will it be out by Christmas 2018? Not this time around. But the Kickstarter will wrap up in mid-December, so if we're funded, you'll be able to tell your golf fan that Catalogue 18 is on its way early in the new year. If we're not, you'll have time for a backup plan.
- I bought a gift subscription. Do you have a custom gift card? Yes! Right click, save and print this image:
Risks and challenges
The launch issue of Catalogue 18 is finished after more than a year and a half of work. We took “maybe” out of the equation by producing a complete first issue up front — the result is a stunning magazine that's ready to go. We've set a significant fundraising target to pay for printing and shipping the first issue to a sustainable base of subscribers.
If you're one of them, rest assured that you'll never be billed for an issue until it prints. And you'll always be able to unsubscribe at any time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)