This Kickstarter will fund the release of Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition, the second edition of our superhero roleplaying game, and the companion volume Pinnacle City’s Most Wanted, a compendium of villains and information about Pinnacle City.
We also hope to fund two supplements: Modern Gods, an epic modern-day superhero sandbox setting by Sean Patrick Fannon, and Blood & Justice: Shadows of Nocturne, a gritty and mysterious "Iron Age" superhero setting by Bill Keyes.
If things go really well, we have a few surprises in store, as well.
Please note that all Sidekick backers do receive any unlocked PDFs!
Originally released in 2013, Prowlers & Paragons proved to be a sleeper hit that developed a loyal fan base and made its way onto a few “Best Of” lists, despite its cult status.
After five years of playing, expanding, revising, and updating the original game and listening to your feedback, Mastermind Len Pimentel called in "Henchman #1" Sean Patrick Fannon to help him create Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition.
The spirit of the game remains the same, but the rules have been taken apart, refined, and carefully put back together. The new and improved rules have more depth than the original game engine, but they make for a faster, easier, and more exciting experience.
Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition is designed to let you play any kind of superhero game you can imagine. Because we aren’t tied to a specific world, setting, or property, we made sure you can play characters of any power level, from street-level vigilantes to iconic mega-heroes who deal with intergalactic threats. Whether you're dodging bullets or battleships, we've spent the last five years finding the perfect balance of abstraction and crunch to make sure the game is just as fun either way.
We also made sure you could tailor the rules to suit your style of play. From lighthearted Saturday morning cartoons, to modern day comic books or superhero movies, to the dark and grittier side of supers, you can do it all in Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition.
Character creation is fast and flexible, using a simple point-buy system that gives you lots of choices and enough detail to make those choices matter. Once you know what you’re doing, you can throw a character together in minutes and create exactly the type of hero you want to play.
Don’t know what you want to play? We’ve all been there. That’s why there’s an optional Random Hero Generator to help you get going. Or you can use one of the 15 fully playable heroes provided in the core rules.
Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition uses ordinary 6-sided dice and a simple yet robust dice pool mechanic that makes action resolution fast and exciting. The rules allow for both narrative and traditional success-or-failure based task resolution, letting you play however you prefer. In fact, you can use both methods at the same table!
Whether narrative or traditional, the rules are designed to keep you in your character’s head. When you play Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition, you aren’t playing an author, narrator, or comic book publisher: you’re playing a hero!
Combat is fast and cinematic, striking a balance between abstraction and simulation that gives players meaningful choices without bogging them down. We’ve even used these rules to run epic battles with hundreds of combatants on the table!
READ ALL ABOUT IT: TESTIMONIALS!
We introduced Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition to Bruce Harlick, Steve Peterson, and Ray Greer, three guys who know a thing or two about superhero roleplaying games, and here's what they had to say.
BRUCE HARLICK (Editor, Writer, and Designer for Champions and many other tabletop and electronic games): "P&P is an elegant super heroic system that is loose enough to let people play larger-than-life heroes while still providing enough crunch during conflict resolution to be totally satisfying. It's like a bridge between the crunchy games of the 80s (Champions) and the modern day aesthetic. It plays fast and fun and players' actions are only limited by their character conception -- and their imagination. Two toasts from Foxbat's Secret Lair on this one!”
STEVE PETERSON (Co-Creator, Champions; Original Partner, Hero Games): "P&P is a smashing amount of superheroic fun that I've enjoyed playing. And did I mention fistfuls of dice? If you like a game that's fast-moving and gives you the feel of your favorite comic-book heroes, P&P delivers.”
RAY GREER (Writer & Designer, Champions; Original Partner, Hero Games): “I really had a fine time with the playtest. It offers a really interesting balance between flexibility and customization for character creation. And it is rich in detail without feeling like a miniatures game for combat. The highest compliment I can pay is that if we were designing Champions today, there are several ideas I’d have liked to steal wholesale.”
THE CORE BOOKS
When our diabolical plan comes to fruition, the two core books we'll be releasing as part of this Kickstarter campaign are the Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition Core Rules and the Pinnacle City's Most Wanted villain sourcebook.
Let's take a look at each!
Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition is a full color book that contains everything you need to roleplay in any kind of superhero setting. It includes …
- Streamlined rules designed to help you create exactly the hero you want to play, from street-level prowlers to iconic paragons and everyone in between.
- An optional Random Hero Generator for when you just don’t know what kind of hero you feel like playing.
- A simple and intuitive system for advancement that lets you decide how quickly the heroes develop and ties advancement to reaching milestones in the story.
- A core game engine that allows for either a narrative action resolution or more traditional action resolution system, and in fact lets you use both in the same game.
- A fast-moving combat engine that emulates all the action and excitement of comic book combat. Plus optional rules to make your superheroic slugfests as four-color and fantastical or gritty and realistic as you like, letting you set the tone of your game.
- A huge list of weapons, armor, gear, and vehicles you can use in your games, plus rules for superheroic gadgets, customizing your gear, and building your own headquarters.
- Guidelines for using the game’s narrative ruleset to handle disasters, hazards, hostile environments, and other extreme conditions and situations.
- A massive library of animals and extras—some ordinary and others less so—plus 15 fully fleshed out villains and 15 ready-to-play heroes.
- Loads of advice, tips, tricks, shortcuts, strategies, and suggestions to help you create nefarious villains, exciting adventures, memorable campaigns, and game sessions that feel like a comic book stories instead of super-powered dungeon crawls.
Designed as a combination rogues gallery, adventure supplement, and setting guide, Pinnacle City’s Most Wanted is intended to help make life as easy as possible for gamemasters. Within its pages you’ll find …
- An assortment of opponents and supervillains of varying power level, from street-level criminals to cosmic beings that threaten the entire planet, if not the entire galaxy.
- Every villain described in enough detail to let you use them as they are, but with enough room for you to make these characters your own and fit them into your game word.
- Every villain's entry also includes a description of an important location in Pinnacle City or in the greater Pinnacle City Universe, plus a number of adventure seeds.
- A variety of groups, organizations, and peoples, from assassins’ guilds to ninja clans, organized criminal enterprises to shadowy government agencies, technological overlords to supernatural underworlds, hidden races to alien invaders, and more.
- As with villains, every group, organization, or people is described in enough detail to give you a taste of who they are while leaving room to make them your own, and each description includes additional adventure seeds.
- To combat all these menaces, the book introduces readers to AEGIS, one governmental organization the heroes might actually consider their ally. Maybe.
- Last, because players may one day grow tired of doing the right thing and yearn to take a walk on the wild side, the last Chapter of this sourcebook includes rules and advice for playing the villains and running villainous games.
The superhero genre has no limits, and neither does Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition. While Pinnacle City's Most Wanted is the essential sourcebook for adventuring in the Pinnacle City Universe, there are other worlds and other universes to explore (via the amazing OmniVerse concept), and they all need heroes. As we hit our Stretch Goals, we'll begin unlocking other worlds of superheroic adventure, all using the Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition game engine.
STRETCH GOAL ADVENTURES!
UNLOCKED! SOCIAL MEDIA ACHIEVEMENT: CRISIS CONTROL, an introductory adventure set in the Modern Gods universe (see SOURCEBOOKS! below): The Demolition Crew attacks high tech and engineering firms, and Disaster Area strikes at key infrastructure sites all over the world. Are these related incidents? If so, who is behind it all? UNISO needs heroes to solve this before the crises get much worse.
UNLOCKED! SOCIAL MEDIA ACHIEVEMENT: EDDY WEBB ADVENTURE, an as-yet untitled Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition adventure by the creator of Pugmire and Dark Brigade, along with dozens of other amazing credits in gaming. Eddy also did the Malakar Dominion for Shaintar and the Freedom Squadron adventure, All That Glitters, so we have a wonderful history of working together!
US$ 35,000: RISE OF THE FALLEN, an introductory adventure set in the Modern Gods universe (see SOURCEBOOKS! below): When the Lords of the Autumn Court call the war drums to sound, and dark faerie rings appear in Wales, UNISO calls for the heroes to stand between the Earth and the bitter winds of an Endless Fall.
US$ 40,000: MERCILESS HOSPITAL, an introductory adventure set in the world of Blood & Justice: Shadows of Nocturne (see SOURCEBOOKS! below): People believe ghosts haunt the old campus of Merciless Hospital, now abandoned and decrepit. Does a supernatural evil lurk within, or is it something more mundane but just as deadly?
US$ 45,000: DOWN THE WELL, an introductory adventure set in Michael Surbrook's high-flying pulp setting, Well of the Worlds: Sorry, but this one's for the GM's eyes only.
US$ 50,000: AEGIS clearance required. Please stand by.
STRETCH GOAL SOURCEBOOKS!
US$ LOCKED: MODERN GODS: Over three decades in the making, Modern Gods is an epic superhero setting by Sean Patrick Fannon (Shaintar, Savage Rifts, Freedom Squadron). It presents an internally-consistent, content-rich universe for you to explore modern and postmodern superpowered roleplaying. Calling back to classic comics of the last few decades, from Iron Age to Modern Age, and merging with the cinematic superhero renaissance of today, this is an internally-consistent world in which the impossible is given spectacular form and believable function. Modern Gods is also your introduction to the Omniverse, a powerful meta-concept that ties countless settings together in one grand, shared superpowered experience!
US$ LOCKED: BLOOD & JUSTICE: SHADOWS OF NOCTURNE: Nocturne, a city of intrigue, danger, and adventure, where heroes must do battle not just against those who would drag the city down, but also with their own flawed natures. From the mind of Bill “the ebil bunneh” Keyes (The Widening Gyre, Cities of Wonder), Blood & Justice: Shadows of Nocturne presents a dark and gritty “Iron Age” setting, a dark and frightening place where common people live in terror of crime and senseless violence.
US$ LOCKED: AEGIS clearance required. Please stand by.
US$ 125: KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE! Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition: Premium Hardcover format with alternate cover by Jerry Gaylord.
US$ LOCKED (per book): Modern Gods Sourcebook upgrade to Standard Softcover
US$ LOCKED (per book): Modern Gods Sourcebook upgrade to Premium Hardcover
US$ LOCKED (per book): Blood & Justice Sourcebook upgrade to Standard Softcover
US$ LOCKED (per book): Blood & Justice Sourcebook upgrade to Premium Hardcover
The main purpose of this Kickstarter is to give these books the treatment they deserve and provide you with the best product out there, one filled with full color artwork by amazing artists. As of the time this Kickstarter went live, the status of each book is as follows:
Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition is already complete, fully written, edited, and ready for layout.
Pinnacle City’s Most Wanted is nearing completion. Should it fund, we expect the book to be fully written and edited and ready for layout within 30 to 60 days after completion of this Kickstarter.
Modern Gods is nearing completion. Should it fund, we expect the book to be fully written and edited and ready for layout within 30 to 60 days after completion of this Kickstarter.
Blood & Justice: Shadows of Nocturne is nearing completion. Should it fund, we expect the book to be fully edited and ready for layout within 30 to 60 days after completion of this Kickstarter.
Backing this project is easy. Just follow these steps:
1. Choose the Pledge Level you want.
2. Choose any Add-Ons that you want.
3. Click on the green “Back this project” button and select your Pledge Level or click directly on the Pledge Level that you want.
4. Enter the total amount for your Pledge and Add-Ons.
5. We will send you an invitation to our Pledge Manager after the Kickstarter has ended to confirm your information and order, including your address, payment method, and which Add-Ons you have chosen.
Once we fund, we’ll immediately get to work commissioning all the artwork we need to complete the unlocked books, editing the books that are already complete, and completing the ones that require a few finishing touches.
We expect to deliver the main PDFs within 3 to 6 months and the physical books within 1 to 3 months after that, depending on printing and shipping.
The locked stretch goals are currently in development. If unlocked, we expect to deliver those PDFs within 6 to 12 months and the physical books within 1 to 3 months after that.
The timetable set forth above assumes the Doppelgangers of the Mirrorverse haven’t begun their invasion of our world. Once that happens, all bets are off.
1. PDF Delivery: Once the books area ready, we will begin delivering PDF rewards through DriveThruRPG.com.
2. Physical Delivery: Printing and delivery of the physical books and any other materials will be handled through DriveThruRPG.com. Backers are responsible for paying shipping costs, which will be applied through our Pledge Manager upon completion of this Kickstarter project. International delivery is subject to availability through DriveThruRPG.com at the time of delivery. As of March 1, 2019, DriveThruRPG.com offers international delivery to Australia, Brazil, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Mexico and the UK.
Leonard A. Pimentel is head writer and lead designer of Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition and project manager of this Kickstarter campaign. He is also President of LakeSide Games, Vice President of Evil Beagle Games, and Line Manager of Evil Beagle's Prowlers & Paragons and Furious Games lines. Leonard has written a number of other games, including the original Prowlers & Paragons, Paragons, TNT (The Narrative Toolbox), Hughesville High, Magnum Fury, and Six-Gun Fury.
Sean Patrick Fannon is contributing designer and all-around great idea guru for Prowlers & Paragons Ultimate Edition. He is also Evil Beagle Games’ President and Chief Visionary Officer. Sean has countless writing credits in the RPG industry and is responsible for such successful Kickstarter projects as Shaintar, Savage Rifts, and Freedom Squadron.
Michael Surbrook is Chief Operations Officer of Evil Beagle Games. His writing credits include Asian Bestiary I & II, Fantasy Hero Complete, Kazei 5, and Ninja Hero, all for HERO Games, among others, and he is the key creator behind the highly successful Aaron Allston’s Strikeforce Kickstarter.
Bill “the ebil bunneh” Keyes is Director of Production and Art Director of Evil Beagle Games. He is the author of The Widening Gyre and the mind behind the Cities of Wonder line of RPG supplements. Bill has also written for Torg: Eternity, Savage Rifts, and Apocalypse Prevention Inc. He also has many years of experience in layout design and art direction.
Aaron Acevedo and Thomas Shook are highly experienced with graphic design and layout, with tons of credits in Pinnacle Entertainment Books, Ulisses North America, and via their own design house, Sigil.
Carinn Seabolt is the Editor-in-Chief of Evil Beagle Games, with numerous editing credits both in our books and as a freelancer.
Jennifer Shinefeld is our newest Editor, but has already been tried-by-fire with Freedom Squadron as well as a number of the P&P products.
Joshua Hoade is editor and co-author of the Blackjack Series (Blackjack: Villain, Blackjack: Wayward, Blackjack: Dead or Alive, and the upcoming Blackjack: Messiah). He also edited Magnum Fury and Six-Gun Fury.
Raymond W. Bruels III and Juliet Meyer of d10again.com were also generous enough to bring their extensive marketing expertise to this Kickstarter campaign.
Risks and challenges
With the two main books complete and the two stretch goal books requiring only minimal work to reach completion, this main purpose of this Kickstarter is to fill these books with top-notch art and get them looking as good as they deserve. We feel confident in our ability to deliver the products we have promised.
As discussed above, our team has been involved with a number of successful Kickstarter projects, and we feel confident that we will deliver all products in a timely manner. Of course, problems can always arise, whether internal, with third-party contractors, alien warlords, or otherworldly invaders. We will handle any such problems to the best of our ability and keep our backers informed with regular updates until the situation is resolved.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (20 days)