To all comic artists and writers known and unknown, help us build this anthology created and ranked by you. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on November 15, 2012.
About this project
Wha … What?
We are artists! We see a lot of other talented people doing comics who never get published, and artists who just do a page or two of awesome comics not big enough for a book. And, we see a lot of comic enthusiasts who love to read raw new material who just don’t know where to find any one artist. Well, here is your chance to be ranked and share profits with other artists! We have publishing power and want this project to happen! The Ultimate Comic Book Anthology!
This Kickstarter project is for the comic geek that just can’t get a break, and know you are worthy. And, the comic geek that just can’t read enough raw goods. All in one big bowl (spot) of goodies to feature Artist Comics, Artist Commentary, and Artist websites.
We don’t have enough editors or self-absorbed critics on staff to sort through these comics. So, we are just going to publish everyone who submits a full page of comics. We do care to provide the best rewards and to make this project happen. So, we are setting this up so YOU are the cutting editors and critics and decide which comic should be published to make The Cut or not. BUT, we have to publish everyone!
So we propose “The Cut” and “The Cults.”
Two sets of Hardcovers will be available. “The Cut”, up to the first five volumes (480 pages each) with the top 2400 pages (in ranking order) judged by the Supporters, and “The Cults”, the remaining artists in ranking order who did not get into the top five volumes. Certainly the best get in the top five volumes. No matter how you look at it, EVERY ONE GETS PUBLISHED! (see rules).
“The Cut” is easily ordered as a set and may appear in any future editions. “The Cults” are easily ordered for the diehard comic reader who loves the less-known niche and future up-and-comers.
Don’t worry about the rights, the Artists will always own the rights of their own comic! The Artists only allow us to use their submission for Comic Bowl so we can help other artists.
Artists - Kickstarter supporters rank your original comics in what they wish to see in “The Cut” limited edition hardcovers! The supporters get other swag featuring the top comics submitted by you. If you submit work to be critiqued, no matter what, YOU’RE PUBLISHED! What do we mean by published? Limited Editions exclusive to this project, plus Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and links to your website from the Big PDF webpage. Also Sharing-of-Profit, please see here.
Supporters – This is your chance to get limited edition stuff from raw talented artists all at once of who you rank to be on the rewards, “The Cut” and “The Cults!”
We believe this is a great opportunity to expand an artist’s fan base. Everyone here will have the opportunity to see these and know where to find and rank them.
Yeah, yeah, but how do you benefit?
We only see comic artists that are hardworking and lucky to be discovered. We know it is freakin’ tuff! This is a project to round up everyone in one dinner bowl so-to-speak. And to be seen by the big and the little guys.
This is a project we hope to build into a great artist collective every year because we love comics and the talented artists behind them. We cannot do this without pledgers, artists, and you.
If you submit, you will be published.
If funding reaches $500,000 and we have at least 4,000 submissions we will apply to present the top ranked comics at the Comic-Con in San Diego. We will have a cool venue showing the top three artists.
How does this ranking work?
The ranking is determined by Supporters through here with access to the ranking pages where every comic will be displayed. The Artist’s name, website (if available) and a profile number will be under the Artist’s work in “The BIG PDF.” All readers will be able to register on this page (this is so there is only one ranking per comic, per reader) and rank each comic they read, 0 through 11.
Statistics during the voting process will be shown during ranking for the Artists to watch and become excited or stressed. He ha he ha ;)
I’m geeked, so what are the rules
1. No vulgar language or porn in your works, please. This allows a larger fan base for everyone.
2. Anyone may purchase rewards. This is a chance to be seen, published, and in a volume! Or, own the first works of a superstar. ARTISTS - Do the best art and writing you can do! You are representing yourself.
3. We will contact all artists who have purchased pledges to submit their comic via email. We will tell you how to submit when this project is funded. You will also be given a security code. Keep your security code safe. You will only get one. You may start your work at any time. See timeline below.
4. No advertising on entries will be permitted. Readers just want talent! Any advertising will disqualify the entire submission and this is where we thank you for your donation to the project.
5. Make sure your work is legible and well presented. Don’t forget an awesome title block at top to distinguish the start of your comic and your name and web-address at the bottom center of each page you submit.
6. Collaborative works are welcomed but only submitted by one pledge through Kickstarter. You may put your name and collaborative partner’s name in the comic.
7. If you have a website where readers can see more of your stuff, put it at the lower center of your comic page. Don’t be obnoxious with too large of print. People will see it as long as it is legible.
8. All submissions must be on an 8.5”x11”, 300dpi jpg. NO EXCEPTIONS. Any other submitted format including PDFs may have difficulty with fonts. JPGs will also allow artists to scan in hand artwork with less difficulty.
9. Each $1 pledge represents one or two 8.5x11 page(s) comic submission with or without commentary. (Sorry about $1, Kickstarter minimum) If you know you will enter multiple pages it is best to pledge accordingly. With this pledge you will be featured in either the Limited Edition books, “The Cut” or “The Cults.” The top ranking artists are featured on swag exclusive to this project.
10. All submissions will be presented to the Supporters in the order in which they are received. Order of comics in all books will be presented in order of ranking by the Supporters.
11. All 8.5x11, 300dpi jpg submissions must be full with content. You are the artist! In other words, you are using this opportunity to show your stuff. Please don’t have any part page content and the rest blank. Our goal is to have full color content in “The BIG PDF” and all volumes of books. This does not mean you cannot draw in Black & White or grey scales. Use your imagination!
12. All works must be original and created by the artist(s). ComicBowl.org is not responsible for plagiarized material. Since all work we publish and use is submitted by the artists and we credit their name. If the material submitted is plagiarized, we have a good feeling that the Supporters will become mobs and force the assailant into underground dwellings where they will have no choice but to disembowel themselves.
13. No one from Comic Bowl, Comic Bowl employees, their friends, family, or people who clean their aquariums with their tongues out are allowed to submit works.
14. Comic Bowl has the right to correct any misinterpretations of this project.
An email and a posting on this webpage will be sent to every pledge from Kickstarter in order to rank the comics.
Every submission is invited to share one or two, 8.5x11, 300 dpi JPG(s) of your best work with or without commentary about their comic and profile. Of course you may hand write it and scan in. Hand stuff is always cool! We love coffee and pizza sauce stains. The more raw and creative the better the readers see you. You should print your 8.5 x11 on a sheet of high quality paper before you submit to see the legibility or your work.
No commission will be given to the artists other than the sharing of profits as ranked by the Supporters. We may use your work to promote ComicBowl projects, items, and books. If we use any of your artwork we will always provide proper credit to you, and link you if you provide your website. Please See http://comicbowl.org/sharingprofit.html
We will set the timer at Kickstarter for the Supporters to notice and pledge rewards and Artists to pledge for submissions to the ComicBowl for 45 days. Artists may start their art work at any time. Once we are successful we will send Artists an email on how to submit.
When the clock stops and we are successful, all artists will have an additional 45 days to finalize their comic and submit it to us. Don’t worry, we will let you know in time. First submitted, first to be shown in “The BIG PDF” and showcase on ComicBowl.org for ranking.
Any submissions after the midnight hour of the 45th day will automatically be in “The Cults” because that submission will miss “The BIG PDF.”
We will then announce the release of the PDFs and send links to everyone to download them. And, we will also have the Artists’ comics on the ranking page to be ranked.
Ranking time period is estimated at 45 days to 60 days max.
As the funding unfolds we will add new updates.
ComicBowl has been created by artists, staying up late for months working to get this project afoot. And, our work has just begun. Consider ComicBowl the Dewey Decimal System for comics or graphic stories. It costs a great deal to do this. The idea of this project is to unite every artist in a focused visual ink/digital library and artists website linked for readers to find so that each artist CAN create or expand an ecommerce for themselves.
Also, the artists will live forever in the Library of Congress.
ComicBowl is a striving little machine and learning as we go. Please excuse our clarifications and hear our apologies for misinterpretations.
Risks and challenges
E.A.Stock Publishing L.L.C., owner of Comic Bowl, has contracts with a subsidiary of Ingram Book Company. All books will be high quality soft-covers and hardcovers.
Volume Books of The Cut and The Cults and other books - International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN)’s for all books are provided through Boker and assigned by Comic Bowl and will be cataloged with the subsidiary of Ingram. Once formats are given to the subsidiary of Ingram it will take about one to two months for all books to show in Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites and the Boker ISBN database. Using these ISBN’s anyone may order through local bookstores who order their books via ISBN. This is common. Everyone who submitted a comic will be able to see their work in print and order anytime.
Limited edition swag will only be available through this project.
We have contacts for all swag items (non-book). The timing of swag produced is dependent on quantity of swag ordered and will be delivered independently to pledgers.
Comic Bowl will work feverishly to make sure you receive your swag within the said amount of time. And the quality of the swag will be of the utmost quality. Mechanical failures do happen. If such failures occur or quality is not to par, Comic Bowl will post recipients promptly and work toward pledgers receiving their order in a timely fashion.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
No. Supporters can only order swag ComicBowl provides here through here. The swag we offer, with help of the artists, help support this project only. If you want more swag you can always go to the Comic or Graphic Story artist’s website that we will list and order what they have to offer. If they don’t have it, tell them you would like to see their comic on an item. We’re guessing they would be more than happy to offer.
- (45 days)