Welcome to our crowdfunding page. We're very excited to be sharing our latest project with you: SAFAR Film Festival 2016!
This year for the first time SAFAR will focus on contemporary Arab cinema, screening films that are singularly defiant of stereotypes, social taboos and self-censorship. Celebrated writer and independent film and visual arts curator Rasha Salti, is responsible for this year’s magnificent programme: http://www.arabbritishcentre.org.uk/safar-2016/full-programme-listing/
Your help is extremely important to us, whether you pledge £5, £10, £20 or £500! You can even support us by simply spreading the word about this campaign via email, Twitter or Facebook. Every little helps!
The Arab British Centre established the bi-annual SAFAR Film Festival in 2012 to celebrate the achievements of Arab cinema, and provide audiences the opportunity to access films rarely seen in the UK. The Arab British Centre was named winner of the prestigious UNESCO-Sharjah Prize for Arab Culture 2012, for the SAFAR FILM FESTIVAL and the centre’s efforts to develop, disseminate and promote Arab culture in Britain.
From 14-18 September 2016, SAFAR will return to the Institute for Contemporary Arts (ICA), for its third edition. This year SAFAR focuses on Contemporary Arab Cinema; a testament to the unflinching vitality, versatility and creativity of Arab film culture, showcasing contemporary voices and the singular talents both from emerging filmmakers and master auteurs. Overtly defying and transgressing social and political taboos, this year’s chosen films cross genres and borders, heralding the profound transformations that have taken place in Arab societies since 2011. The selection also celebrates the breadth of work from across the Arab world with films from Algeria, Egypt, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Syria and Tunisia, mediating stories that challenge stereotypes and self-censorship.
Why should you support us?
A message from our Chairman:
By supporting our Kickstarter campaign, you can be part of one of the most exciting, diverse and challenging film festivals in the UK. Your participation will make this edition the most ambitious and impactful yet!
By backing SAFAR 2016, you will be supporting a cultural programme that aims to:
- enhance understanding of contemporary Arab cultures and Arab cinematic achievement
- support the growth and popularity of Arab Cinema and film makers within the United Kingdom
- present audiences a rare opportunity to access films never seen before in the UK
- allow audiences to engage with and learn from directors, artists and critics through the SAFAR Film Festival engagement programme
- support integrated community life in the UK by challenging prejudice and addressing misunderstanding of the Arab world
- be accessible to cross-cultural and cross-generational audiences in London
- raise awareness, appreciation and understanding of Arab cinema in the UK.
How can you help?
- There are many ways you can help, the first and foremost way is by pledging money to this campaign! Even £5 goes a long way!
- Tell your friends! Help us spread the word about SAFAR through your own social media feeds like Twitter and Facebook. Our social media handles are: Twitter @ArabBritishCent, Facebook/thearabbritishcentre and Instagram @arabbritishcentre. You can also use #safar2016 for all your SAFAR related posts.
- Buy tickets to our screenings and celebrate with us the achievements of contemporary Arab cinema.
Risks and challenges
As a charitable organisation, the Arab British Centre fundraises for every project it runs, which is one of the reasons we started this Kickstarter campaign.
One of the risks could be that we don’t raise all the money for our festival. If this is the case, we would still be in a position to run the festival but on a much smaller scale. We plan on mitigating this risk by reaching out to our diverse and numerous networks by asking them to support and help promote the campaign.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)