What is Susan’s Wish?
Susan’s Wish is a monthly modern fantasy audio drama podcast. The story involves an autistic high school girl coming into herself, making friends, and dealing with her disability. The magic and other fantasy elements accompany and help reinforce these themes. Season one has already been posted on my website and this campaign is going to fund season two, which will be five episodes long.
I don’t want to give too much away, but season two will include a comedic antagonist and explore some of the following concepts as well:
- Sensory overload
- Arguments between friends
- Emotional meltdowns
Who are you?
My name is Bruce J. Belanger. I am a young Canadian autistic writer, just trying to make an impact on the world. I am the creator and editor of the first season of Susan’s Wish. I’ve also brought together a dedicated cast of voice actors for season one. All of them intend to reprise their roles for season two. I couldn’t be more grateful.
The current cast includes:
- Susan Doe played by Xeph
- Mika Kaede played by Tio-
- Belle Bellamy played by AlexandraElise
- Aimée Bellamy played by xxsilver146xx
- Jane Laporte played by Michelle Hurtado
- Susan's Mom played by Vanessa Martinez
- Mr. Sharpe played by Matt Fields
- Female Extras played by Yenni Ann
- Male Extras played by Eric Fairchild
Running an audio drama is expensive. I may not have enough disposable income to release season two on March 7th as I originally planned. Below is a list of my expenses for this project:
- Website/RSS hosting ($20 per month)
- Renewing the domain name ($20 per year)
- Fees for voice actors ($15 per episode per voice actor)
- Adobe Audition editing software ($30 per month)
- Audioblocks stock audio service ($30 per month)
I plan to release one episode a month from March to July 2019. My expenses multiplied by this five month period equals a $1095 goal for this campaign. The extra $155 is to cover the fees that Kickstarter will apply if this campaign is funded. The items above are strictly what these funds will be used for. There are also other things I want to do, but I could not justify putting the money down as there is not enough guarantee for a return on investment. These could come up as stretch goals.
Risks and challenges
It is my understanding that my work probably only appeals to a niche audience and the fanbase will not be very large. It's tough for any show to grow if the appeal is not really mainstream. Also, while it is true that I wrote and produced the first season of Susan's Wish, I am still relatively inexperienced. I hope you can hang in there with me as I produce the best audio drama I can. I know I can do it and I am determined.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)