Court martial, BackerKit, physical merchandise and more
As mentioned in a previous update we are preparing to roll out BackerKit. It allows you to manage your pledge as well as purchase digital add-ons. Very soon you will receive a separate BackerKit email with a link where you can manage your pledge (and vote on the court martial!). So take a deep breath and just wait for that email to arrive. It will contain further instructions.
Yes, the court martial against the disgraced admiral will soon be in session. We decided to do this as a survey inside BackerKit since that allows both PayPal and Kickstarter backers to participate and we avoid fragmenting our community. You do not need to make a login and password to fill out your survey, just fill it out and you are good to go! Also, for our PayPal backers we are setting up a separate mailing list to keep you in the loop and inform you of all future Kickstarter updates.
If you use your Facebook login for your Kickstarter account, the BackerKit invite will be sent to the email you used for your Facebook account. If you have another email you prefer it to be sent to, please email email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: New backers (slacker backers) should go via PayPal.
If you wish to purchase credits to spend on digital add-ons:
- Kickstarter backers can use the same payment option in BackerKit as on Kickstarter
- PayPal backers add to their pledge by using http://store.mandategame.com and then we will import your new donation into BackerKit as credits that can be spent on digital add-ons or to upgrade your existing pledge
Speaking of digital add-ons, we have added a few new ones (primarily based on community feedback). Also, our writers have created two more design tier examples. Previously we covered the design a squadron and design a marine platoon and now we are ready to share NEW EXAMPLES. Note that we have recycled the images and you may recognize the officer in particular from Scourge of The Mandate.
Since many of you were asking if we could keep the BackerKit store open beyond January 2014, we have set the deadline for buying digital add-ons and managing your pledge to 31st of March 2014.
What else is going on? First of all we are back after taking a break.
- On the game design side we are reviewing all design notes we took during the campaign as well as reading up on the forums for additional ideas and suggestions.
- The artists are currently experimenting with a new character system which will allow us to have many NPCs on the screen at the same time. In addition we are testing procedural textures (which we already used in the ship designer) for both ship interiors and characters. This takes a bit of time and coordination but will ultimately benefit both us (production efficiency) and you guys (ability to customize and tweak characters and ship interior visuals).
- Our programmers are evaluating different middlewares to upgrade our GUI and networking. Oh and we are prototyping a feature that we have not discussed previously. Hopefully we can give you guys a sneak peek before Xmas.
Some of you may remember that we promised to organize physical merchandise/rewards after the campaign had reached its funding goal. Currently we are evaluating offers from different vendors but we do not have an ETA just yet. As mentioned in a previous update, we will not be directly involved or make a profit from this, but we do want to ensure that the merchandise vendor we share our concepts and illustrations with, offer the best combination of high quality goods, fair prices and also supports international shipping. That being said, remember that you can also print any of the posters and concepts that we have made available over at http://social.mandategame.com (for non-commercial purposes). We will provide copyright notices for those of you who need this soon. Check out some photos of printed posters that community member Ivan Tam sent us.
Speaking of the community, we have several forum upgrades planned including ranks/badges as well as an (almost) real-time forum chat plugin. We hope this will allow us to maintain the interaction and discourse that we had going on over in the Kickstarter comments section in the last half of our campaign. We will also roll out guidelines for design tiers and additional examples but this will most likely happen during January. One more thing, several of our backers have volunteered to localize Scourge of The Mandate. Efforts are underway to translate into French, German, Hungarian and Turkish. Apparently, “unthinkable tactics” transcends time, space and any language barriers!
Your friends at Perihelion Interactive