Faerie Blood was my very first published novel, digitally released by Drollerie Press in 2009. Sadly, though, Drollerie had to shut down in October 2011, and revert rights to all the novels in its catalogue back to its authors. Now I'm hoping to re-issue Faerie Blood in both electronic and print editions, and in conjunction, finish and release Book 2, Bone Walker, the next book in the series!
I'm excited to be working with some awesome people to bring you these books:
- JoSelle Vanderhooft, editor of the Steam-Powered: Lesbian Steampunk Stories anthologies, will be handling the editing of Bone Walker upon its completion!
- Artist Kiri Moth, whose lovely work you can see on the cover of Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine, will be doing my cover art! You can see her work in full glory right over here!
- And Third Place Books, one of the best independent bookstores in Seattle, will be deploying its Third Place Press Espresso Book Machine to create fully bound print editions of the books, complete with full-color covers!
Let me share with you, too, what some of my fellow Drollerie authors have had to say about my work:
- "A magical journey of self-discovery, with music, adventure, and elves on motorcycles. And an unseelie Elvis impersonator who totally steals the show." -- David Sklar, author of Shadow of the Antlered Bird
- "The adventures of a violin-playing, Techie Geek, half-fairy heroine in supernatural Seattle, Faerie Blood is sure to please Urban Fantasy, Manga and Anime fans." -- Gary Inbinder, author of Confessions of the Creature and The Flower to the Painter.
- "Kendis Thompson's quick-thinking geekery surprised and delighted me, start to finish. Traditional faerie lore gets some really fresh twists, including a stunning moment that is the most moving take on the magic of true names I've seen since A Wizard of Earthsea." -- Sarah Avery, author of Atlantis Cranks Need Not Apply and Closing Arguments
So if you like your urban fantasy on the lighter side, with heaping side helpings of romance, computer geekery, and more music than you can shake a fiddle bow at, I hope you'll consider checking out my work. Thank you all for your support!
Special Rewards Update, Added 4/19!
By request, I am now offering to all backers at $25 or above two additional short pieces set in the Warder universe:
- The short story "The Blood of the Land", previously published by Drollerie Press in the Civil War-era anthology Defiance
- The currently untitled novella starring the psychic Elizabeth Breckenridge, who must help Ross Taggart solve the murder of his Warder sister
Additionally, all higher-tier backers, at $100 or above, will have exclusive access to a second novella, covering the origin story of Millicent Merriweather, the senior Warder of Seattle in Faerie Blood and Bone Walker!
Excerpts of the Books and Other Works in Progress, Updated 5/4!
As we head to the end of the project, for the convenience of both current and potential new backers, here are all the links to the currently offered samples of Faerie Blood, Bone Walker, and the other works which will be sent out now that the project has been funded!
- "The Blood of the Land"
- Untitled work in progress (Elizabeth Breckenridge/Ross Taggart novella)
- Millicent Merriweather character vignette (to be used in Millicent's novella)
Further samples will be added to this list as the project progresses, so keep checking back!
Milestone Incentives, Updated 5/15!
Starting with backer #50, I began handing out free ebook copies of the original, Drollerie Press edition of Faerie Blood--and I will continue to do so for every 25th backer! The next one will be handed out to backer #150 if we make it there before the project ends!
FUNDING HAS BEEN ACHIEVED! Now we're aiming for stretch goals, so watch this space for further milestone incentive announcements!
Stretch Goal Teasers, Updated 5/4!
First stretch goal! I will be offering a soundtrack of music to go along with the books, recorded by my partner Dara in her studio. It'll feature several traditional sets that will fit in well with the overall atmosphere of the books and their characters, as well as "Something's Coming" and possibly other songs as well from Dara's work under the aegis of Crime and the Forces of Evil!
Dara and I are thrilled to have the participation of violinist Sunnie Larsen, who has performed with the likes of Bone Poets Orchestra, Tricky Pixie, and Vixy and Tony! And we'll also have Leannan Sidhe, deploying her haunting vocals. You all should go check out her ongoing Kickstarter for her second album, to get a sample of her vocal power--and give her some support love while you're there!
If the project makes it up to $4,500, Dara and I will be offering this album in digital, DRM-free form to all backers at $25 or above!
And! And! If we make $5,500, I will deploy Book Three of Kendis' trilogy to all backers who have chosen a minimum of a reward tier that entitles them to Books 1 and 2--so that's the $20 reward for both ebooks, or the $50 reward that gets you both paperbacks and ebooks together!
This Just In: We Have FINAL Cover Art, Updated 5/4!
Kiri Moth has sent me the final Faerie Blood cover art! How gorgeous is this?
- (30 days)