STRETCH GOAL TIME!
We are over the moon to have hit our funding goal. But, let's not stop now! We still have time to make our project even better!
$20,000- a little extra money would allow us to connect the two studios for simultaneous broadcasting (and let us live out our Roz/Frasier fantasies!) and allow us to purchase a phone module so we can take calls into our studio and put them on the air through our broadcast console)
$25,000- we want to host more live broadcasts where bands can stop by, play a set, and the whole world can tune in. Think Tiny Desk Concert but live...and in a treehouse. For $25,000 we can wire The Secret Alley for recording and upgrade the existing speaker system to make sure it sounds just right in house.
$35,000- we can upgrade the broadcast console in our main studio to match Studio B and outfit the room with a camera for studio sneaky peeks.
$50,000- our big dream is to expand the BFF.fm media empire to include video! With $50,000 we can outfit The Secret Alley with all of the equipment needed to produce high-quality live streaming video, and create BFF TV!
Here are the boys of Roll Over Easy to break it down for you:
BFF.fm- Best Frequencies Forever is a San Francisco-based community radio station run by a volunteer staff of music nerds who love independent music and are hell-bent on delivering radio programming that doesn’t suck.
Our mission is to support emerging and underground artists and bring the Bay Area music scene to the world through the magic of Internet radio.
But, We Need Space to Grow!
BFF.fm started only a year and a half ago, in the tiniest office inside the artist workshop The Secret Alley, but support for the station has grown beyond our wildest dreams. Named SF’s Best New Radio Station by The Bold Italic, Best Internet Radio Station by SFWeekly and voted Best Radio Station in SFWeekly’s Best of Readers Poll (two years in a row!), as well as being honored in the final Best of the Bay issue of the SF Bay Guardian, BFF.fm is thriving in a time where massive urban development is threatening the fabric of San Francisco’s legendary music culture.
But, our one tiny studio isn't quite cutting it anymore. We need more space to expand our independent music and local news programming and to keep the fresh sounds coming. Luckily, the space we need to build a second studio has opened up right across the hall!
Growing the station without packing up and moving from the space we love is a huge opportunity, but one that caught us off guard. We can’t do it alone.
We need your help to get the kind of quality equipment that would make it a real production studio.
What Your Support Means
Your Kickstarter pledge will help BFF.fm hold the torch for San Francisco’s independent music scene. By donating to build Studio B, BFF.fm can:
- Host more band interviews and performances. With flexibility to bring bands into the studio at a time that makes sense for them, we can get up close and personal with more local and touring musicians to give them exposure.
- Create even more great content. There are lots of cool people making cool stuff in the Bay Area. We want to bring these new voices into the station. A second studio means we can start creating new kinds of content, like special material for the website or podcasts.
Jam all night! We want to deliver the sound of San Francisco to our late-night and European listeners. (Yes, we have European listeners. We’re very cultured.) With more new content being created, we'll be able to fill our overnight time slots with original programming.
- Air fewer re-runs. When our DJs are away on important radio business we have to air reruns...and nobody likes those! Right now, our most dedicated DJs are taking matters into their own hands with makeshift studios made of a laptop surrounded by pillows (true story) and they look ridiculous. The sound isn't really top notch, either. Studio B will save your ears and our dignity.
- Never go off the air. Sometimes our main studio needs an upgrade, reboot, or a special ceremony to get rid of the gremlins. A second studio would let us stay on the air during main studio down-time, planned and otherwise.
Where Will the Money Go?
We've got a lot of handy DJs on board to paint, build, and decorate the space. We are creating (possibly the first) fully functional radio production studio inside a fictitious environment- by creating a faux private investigator's office with a cool film noir theme that will fit right in with the other magical spaces inside The Secret Alley. Getting the right equipment in there is where we could really use your help.
Here's an overview of the type of equipment we'll need to make Studio B a reality:
- Broadcast console: the anchor in any broadcast studio is a high-quality console. We'd like to purchase the Telos Axia Radius 8-Fader ON-AIR Radio Console
- Computers: we'll need two Mac minis- one to serve as a work station, one to broadcast our stream as the need arises. They're happy to share a monitor. (they're friendly like that)
- Mics and their accoutrements: Our go-to broadcast mics are Electrovoice RE-20s. And each one needs its own shockmount, wind screen, and retractable arm to hold it steady. We'd like to purchase 4 complete mic sets to give everyone a chance to be heard.
- Cables: you can't build a studio without miles upon miles of cable. It's the stuff that (literally) ties everything together!
- Studio Monitors: so we can hear how great we sound on playback!
We're asking for $15,000 to get our space set up right. But we also have some stretch goals in mind that will allow us to do even more with our new space.
Of COURSE we have the usual rewards like tote bags, t-shirts, buttons and stickers, but we also have custom-created treats from our DJs, as well as a bunch of awesome radio-related experiences for you to enjoy or share with friends. Because, hey, you're part of our community, too!
Help us take our independent radio station to the next level with a second studio: more shows, more events, more fun -- even BETTER Frequencies Forever.
Risks and challenges
We’re a small, volunteer-run independent radio station. Fulfilling merchandise-based rewards is a little bit of a challenge, but we’re all pulling together to make this Kickstarter happen, and we know we can get you your stickers and buttons and T-shirts in a reasonable timeframe.
For the rest of our rewards, we’re focusing on what we do best: creating good radio and fun experiences that involve our supporters and other people who love music. We hope that by offering a lot of fun, experience-based rewards, we won't be bogged down trying to fulfill orders.
Our biggest challenge will be figuring out how to set up all the cool, new equipment once we get it, but luckily we have an able-bodied studio technician and plenty of pals in the audio engineering industry who can lend us a hand.
- (30 days)