Connect to your DSLR wirelessly. Use your smartphone to automate complicated, repetitive tasks. Timelapse, bracketing & more made easy. Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on November 23, 2012.
About this project
What is fotomote?
fotomote is a system to wirelessly control your DSLR camera from Bluetooth enabled smartphone or pad device. fotomote consolidates many photography gadgets into a single, compact device. It is a remote, a bulb actuator, a time-lapse controller (intervalometer), a bulb ramper and a shutter trigger in a single device. The best part is that your smart phone can still be used as a phone during that hour long time-lapse sequence.
What is included?
- fotomote Bluetooth enabled controller
- fotomote app (iOS or Android)
- cables (shutter control & flash sync feedback)
What will fotomote do currently?
- REMOTE - Actuate the shutter from up to 100 meters.
- BULB - Stretch exposure times beyond the limit imposed by your camera. Push and hold the button for the shutter length you desire.
- BULB ADVANCED - Preset an extended exposure time and allow the fotomote to handle the shutter actuation for you..
- TIME LAPSE - Capture frames over an extended period of time to make video. Set total time, total frames and/or interval and the fotomote will handle the entire sequence.
- TIME LAPSE ADVANCED - All of the features of TIME LAPSE and the fotomote controls the exposure.
- BULB RAMPING - fotomote can modify exposure times of an ongoing time lapse to compensate for increasing or decreasing lighting.
- EXTERNAL TRIGGER - External stimuli can activate the shutter. Use it for lightning photography or high speed captures of sound events like gun shots. (External triggering will require sensors that will be available in the future. We hope to have both sound and light versions complete by the time the Kickstarter units ship. They will be available for an additional cost.)
- CUSTOM EXTERNAL TRIGGER - Use sound, light, pressure or whatever you can think of to trigger the shutter on your camera. Buy an existing interface or build your own.
- AND MORE - The flexible and expandable hardware design will allow for unlimited growth in features and functionality. With Open Source and Open Hardware the sky's the limit.
Will it work with...
Android Requirements: 2.2 or greater and Bluetooth or BLE.
iOS Requirements: iOS 5 or greater and BLE (iPhone 4s or newer)
If you have a DSLR that is of "prosumer" quality or better (i.e. has an input for external shutter triggering) then, most likely yes. Some lower level cameras may require an additional OEM adapter for a flash sync output to use shutter feedback and accurate exposure times for bulb ramping and advanced functions.
What are you paying for?
Kickstarter funds will be used to achieve an economy of scale in the production of the first run of devices. The economy of scale is required for both the hardware parts purchases/assembly and custom enclosure fabrication. A small amount of funding will be used for further development of hardware and added app functionality.
Design Progression, from proof of concept to final prototype:
Risks and challenges
The largest challenge currently is the daunting amount of work for a project of this scale. Luckily, we have discovered that if we focus on our areas of expertise and contract others to do work that is beyond our expertise, progress is smoother and faster. A simple concept, but not always so obvious when focused intently on a goal.
Our production plan highlights the tight schedule that we have planned for delivery. We hope to revise the final design one more time prior to delivery so that the fotomote size is 25-50% smaller than the current planned design. So, we have latitude in the schedule to deliver an awesome product and if everything is going even smoother than planned, a super awesome, even smaller final product.
As others have found out, developing anything, hardware or software, for Apple products can be difficult due to Apple’s stringent standards. We have budgeted funds for specialized assistance with meeting Apple’s requirements to deliver a fotomote app that is iOS worthy in time for our scheduled delivery.
The enclosure production is another area that is more of a financial challenge than anything else. Custom injection molding production can be expensive. That is the largest reason for fotomote’s unusually large funding requirement. We have budgeted for that and set our project requirements so that the tooling can be amortized over a large quantity of units to make it realistically possible.
Finally, there are any number of things that can’t be foreseen in a venture like this. We hope that you, our Kickstarter supporter, will understand that it will be well worth being part of the birth of a new and awesome product. We promise to provide ample and timely updates. The risk will be worth the reward.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)