Two scientists with creative tendencies, Valentina and Valerie (“The Vals” in short), decided to work together on a art-meets-science book, combining Valentina’s drawing skills with Valerie’s love for stories.
It all started when Valentina chose “inspiring scientists” as a topic for last year’s inktober challenge. For inktober, artists all around the world draw something every day in October using ink. And so, Inking Science was born.
Inking science is a collection of 31 inked drawings of famous scientists, from Marie Curie to Richard Feynman, from Hedy Lamarr to Stephen Hawking. All of these scientists had a fascinating life, so each drawing is accopomagnied with an interesting story or anecdote.
We want to share our love for science with all of you. With your help, Inking Science can become available to everybody. Scientists and nonscientists, nerds and the curious, anyone and everybody of all ages can be inspired by these drawings of amazing scientists and their compelling stories.
- Thanks to Di Renzo Editore, an italian editor dedicated to science books, for sharing Inking Science on their social feed.
- Thanks to Lisa Ferland for featuring us in the Top 10 list of Books on Crowdfunding Platform for March.
- Thanks to the team at La fumetteria del mecenate povero, a virtual space for comics lovers, for sharing Inking Science on their social feed.
Marie Curie, Neil Armstrong, Samantha Cristoforetti, Erwin Schroedinger, Rita Levi Montalcini, Arthur Ashkin, Ettore Majorana, Hedy Lamarr, Andre Geim, Carlo Rovelli, Charles Darwin, Carl Sagan, Tim Berners Lee, Richard Feynman, Enrico Fermi, Vera Rubin, Albert Einstein, Donald Glaser, Stephen Hawking, Peter Higgs, Maryam Mirzakhani, Fabiola Gianotti, Mary Anning, Jennifer Doudna, Fibonacci, D'Arcy Thompson, Nikola Tesla, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Rosalind Franklin, Donna Strickland, Maria Goeppert Mayer.
Some of the featured artworks:
Do you want more books? For every 25$ added to your pledge, we will send you an extra book without additional shipping costs!
We will send you an email to confirm your pledge.
This project is custom-friendly!
Rewards bound for the EU, US and Canada will ship from within those regions. No extra custom charges!
The creators behind Inking Science
Vale, the "artist"
Valentina is a scientist and an artist.
She graduated in physics from the University of Catania and she is currently studying for a PhD in biophysics from the University of Dundee. She lived in 4 different countries and travelled to more than 20. She loves books, all things geeky and her cat Po.
Val, the "writer"
Valerie is a science communicator.
She recently got her PhD in Life Science from the University of Dundee. And while she likes science and engineering, what she likes even more is talking about them. She is tall, nerdy and clumsy (not necessarily in that order); she loves LEGO, travelling and her blue ukulele Bruno.
Risks and challenges
The book is almost ready. The illustrations have been completed and the first draft of the text is ready to be submitted for professional editing.
We have already received estimations for the book production and shipment.
A few risks, however, might still be on the way:
- We did not print the book yet. We have chosen a reliable printing company, but we might experience a delay if the quality of the proof-print is not up to standard.
- If the Kickstarter exceeds our expectations, we might need to rent some storage space. Because we have not yet planned for storage space at this time, this might cause delay.
- (40 days)