Don't miss your chance to back this project: take the $5K for 5K Challenge!
**DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE. More project information below.
Support for Trade In Hope:
"This trailer is poignant and gripping. For me the power of this film is its proximity to all of us, our families, or friends. It's not a problem you can just turn off with the television. It remains, like a stain. This film takes a stand on the front lines, exposing how close we are to this dark predator, human trafficking."
- Vernon Wilbert, Digital Domain
Trade In Hope (working title) is a feature length documentary about American children being sold for sex in the Land of the Free and what we can do to stop it. The film will follow the journey of an American woman, trafficked into prostitution at age nine, her escape at age nineteen, and the steps she took to find true healing. Over the course of two years, the film will document anti-trafficking efforts in the US in order to present a story of community solution that has national relevance. By weaving the collaborative art from painters, dancers, poets, graffiti artists, actors and animators with more traditional documentary footage, Trade In Hope's innovative cinematography and allegorical elements will help its audience to gain a comprehensive understanding of the sex trade in our own backyard.
WHAT WILL THE MONEY BE USED FOR?
We love being held accountable! The truth is, documentaries take such an enormous amount of time, effort, energy and resources. All funds WILL go directly towards the making of this film. Without your help, production will have to stop.
The $30,000 from Kickstarter guarantees the following:
- The completion of a short introductory doc, the precursor to our feature length documentary
- Set construction and design for artistic shoot
- Follow-up interviews with our main character
- Interviews with key anti-trafficking leaders and film characters
- Production equipment costs
- Local and regional production travel costs
- Production office materials expenses, including continued research and grant writing
Our passion is to reinvest the awareness and resources generated by the release of the film back into communities fighting trafficking.
Ultimately, our dream is to use the film to help support the building of the FIRST SAFE HOUSE in Central Texas!
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE DON'T RAISE OUR GOAL?
Sadly, we WON'T RECEIVE ANY OF THE FUNDS, and no money changes hands - your card will not be charged. That's right, we get zilch! If we are even one dollar short by the end of our fundraising goal, we don't get anything. Not only that, but no rewards are given unless we reach our goal! So tell EVERYBODY you know!
CAN WE RAISE MORE THAN OUR GOAL?
Wow, that would be AWESOME! As stated earlier, $30,000 is just a portion of our budget. Thankfully, Kickstarter allows you to raise as much money as is given before our deadline. This gives us, the filmmakers, more ability to travel all over the US, collect interviews, and start the process of creating an amazing original soundtrack by well-known artists!!! ;) plus, we can actually start paying people on our team, who as of now have DONATED ALL of their time! Now that's true passion!!
SPREAD THE WORD:
To fan us on Facebook!
Or follow us on Twitter!
TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION:
Your donation is tax deductible!! Trade In Hope is a fiscally sponsored project of the International Documentary Association (IDA), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (so we can OFFER the tax-deduction!). Contributions on behalf of Trade In Hope are payable to IDA and are tax deductible less the value of any goods or services received, as permitted by law. The value of goods and services being offered is noted under each donation level.
MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT MATCHES DONATIONS, ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE MATCHING GIFTS?
This is a question we were just asked, and we are happy to say "yes." Since we are fiscally sponsored through IDA, they process and accept matching gifts from businesses when an employee has made an eligible donation. Each company has their own rules and procedures for processing these donations. Employees or businesses who would like to make eligible gifts should contact the appropriate person at their place of employment for details on how to proceed. After a matching gift has been initiated, please let us or IDA know that a matching donation will be arriving and ask your company to reference the project you are donating to somewhere on the accompanying letter.
We are 100% aware that there is no way we could make this film without the support of the community. That's why we need you all so much, and also why we are so happy to offer up rewards to show that appreciation.
Our current rewards lineup includes:
- Original art 'thank you' postcard, t-shirts signed by the TIH team, a poster signed by the artist
- The DVD, an original soundtrack of the CD (this is a really special prize!)
- Tickets to the premiere, tickets to the after party, tickets to dinner with the cast and crew, a day on set with the crew, KM2 Shoes
- Exclusive Prizes: a ride in a hot air balloon, a ride in a World War II plane!!!!
Please check out one of our rewards donated by KM2 Shoes:
The particular style they have donated is Lyla and it is available in both Charcoal and Bronze! We will determine sizes after we reach our goal.
Feel free to visit their website (actually, we encourage it!) for more amazing styles: www.km2shoes.com
HOW EXACTLY DOES KICKSTARTER WORK?
Kickstarter is there for anyone in the creative world that needs help in gathering support for their projects. Kickstarter allows filmmakers, such as ourselves, to reach out to the community and share our passion. We create the profile, provided certain tools, set our goal and time frame to reach that goal....and then of course, we offer REWARDS!
However, we cannot stress enough that Kickstarter is an ALL or NOTHING platform. Meaning, IF we do not reach our goal of $30,000 we will receive absolutely nothing. Your card is not charged and we get no donations.
HOW SOON CAN I EXPECT MY REWARD?
It depends on what reward(s) you have requested. No rewards are distributed unless we reach our fundraising goal. You won't receive a copy of the DVD, CD or tickets to the premiere/party/dinner till after the film is completed. However, the rest of the prizes (t-shirts, art cards, posters, etc) will be rewarded as soon as possible. As far as the shoes are concerned, we will contact you based off of what size you need/color you prefer and will proceed from there.
Shipping is included - international shipping will take longer!
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE FILM, WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED?
We’re working on it! We will be shooting over the course of a year, then we will be stepping into editing, music and more. We aim to have the picture locked by the end of 2012, and have the film itself released in Spring of 2013.
WHEN DO I GIVE YOU MY SHIPPING ADDRESS?
After you’ve donated, and we have reached our goal, you’ll receive a message from the filmmakers (there is no need for us to get that information if we do not reach our goal). Please reply as soon as possible. In that message we’ll ask that you provide us with all relevant information such as your address, shoe size, t-shirt size, etc.
CAN I INCREASE MY PLEDGE?
This is a wonderful question, and we joyfully say, "YES!" If you want to change your incentive reward by increasing your pledge amount, just sign into your Kickstarter account. Go to our campaign page, the green “Back This Project” button is now a blue “Manage Your Donation” button. Click it and you can enter a new amount and choose a new incentive.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO HELP?
After donating, you can also announce our campaign to your friends and family. Spread the word by sharing our teaser and link to our Kickstarter campaign. Share us on Facebook (FAN us on facebook, please!) follow us on Twitter. TWEET! However, there truly is nothing more powerful than having a personal advocate, so please tell your friends and family!
HUMAN TRAFFICKING: THE PROBLEM
- 12: Average age of entry into prostitution in the US - Polaris Project
- 63%: Sex trafficking victims that are US citizens - US Bureau of Justice 2009
- 200,000: American children at high risk for trafficking into the sex industry each year - Polaris Project
- 50%: Human trafficking victims that are children - US Department of State
- 7: Average years of life expectancy for trafficking victims after entering into prostitution - Traffick911
- 5: Number of safe houses in the US for victims of human trafficking (Shared Hope International, 2009)
- 25%: Certified trafficking victims found in the United States that are in Texas - 2006 United States Health & Human Services Report
- $28 Billion - Estimated USD on grossed annual income for trafficking and illicit migration - www.interpol.int
- $50 Million: US Government budget for efforts against human trafficking - the US State Department
- $19 Billion: US Government budget for efforts against drug trafficking - the White House Drug Policy Website
HOW DO I REPORT A TIP ABOUT HUMAN TRAFFICKING?
There is a National Human Trafficking Hotline:
1-888-373-7888 (all day, every day)
I'VE DONATED AND TOLD MY FRIENDS, WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Host town-hall meetings
- Tell your community watch group
- Train community members to identify and report the crime
- Invite trained speakers from Trade In Hope to facilitate a presentation
- Volunteer with organizations serving victims/survivors of human trafficking
- Join a task force such as ALLIES (Michelle, Leanna and John are ALLIES members and trained to make presentations publicly about human trafficking)
- check out www.whatsyourresponse.com
- Examine supply chains when you purchase; buy slave-free or free trade products
- Consider the relationship between the demand for commercial sex and human trafficking
- Be creative! You don't need to be original, just motivated.
CAN I CONTACT YOU?
Of course! We would absolutely love to hear from you. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will get back to you as soon as possible. We promise!
THE TRADE IN HOPE TEAM:
Michelle Nehme - Director
Leanna Borsellino - Producer
John Nehme - Director of Outreach
Ramy Antoun - Music Supervisor/Music Producer
Casey McPherson - Composer
Joel Maysonet - Effects Supervisor/Graphic Designer
Johanna Adkins - Production Designer
Chelsea Kujawa - Production Intern
For our full bios, please visit our website:
Thank you all so much!!!!
~ The Trade In Hope Team
- (60 days)