Carrot & Stick: a storytelling card game
Carrot & Stick is a game of creative cruelty. Have a look at our adorable characters ... They look so innocent, but are they? ...
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Wed, November 14 2018 3:00 AM UTC +00:00.
What is special about Carrot & Stick?
Carrot & Stick is a game that will inspire the storyteller in you. The cards are adorably weird, hilarious and offer endless scenarios. No previous storytelling experience required! :)
- The game play is simple, easy to learn and play, and incredibly versatile. The game can be played in several different ways depending on what you feel like in the moment.
- Playing the game with your friends, you can be rude, despicable and downright cruel, but you do not need to hide it from your granny! :) Rather than forcing you to play in a certain way, Carrot & Stick actually reflects the personality of the players. This means you can play a cynical and disturbing game one round and an adorable and sugary one the next. All up to you.
What's so special about us?
- We are just a couple of weirdos who like to design and make things of all kinds. We think that the board game world is a wonderful and colorful universe, where our style and personality could have a real place.
- The thing about us, really is the way we work. We are tireless when it comes to our artwork and we LOVE feedback! :) Our design process is entirely transparent and very entertaining. With this campaign for example you will be able to join us every day and watch in real time how we create our designs. You can ask us any questions, give us challenges and just generally chat.
- If you join us on this weird and wonderful ride, you will be a real part of our game. At the end of the campaign we will have dozens more designs than we actually need for the game and you will be the ones to choose which designs make it in!
Carrot & Stick comes in several different editions and here is what you will get with each one of them:
1. First we have the ‘Sugar & Spice’ edition of the game - it’s cute, diverse and suitable for the whole family.
2. Then we have the ‘Naughtier than Nice’ edition for those of you who like the darker, creepier side of life.
3. But for the truly cruel among you we offer a world unsettlingly similar to reality - mix the two decks for one epic story, involving doing despicable things to some very, very sweet peeps ;-)
4. And for the most adventurous of you, we have a limited edition, custom designed expansion pack, exclusive to Kickstarter. All the fun of creative sweetness and cruelty, with your personal characters in the mix:
How to Play:
The idea is simple - you move through the world and at every stage you meet a peep, who is stuck on an island and is facing a problem. Using the cards in your hand, tell a story to solve the problem:
This is it in a nutshell. The game is super portable, quick to set up and very easy to learn and play. It is suitable for 3 to 6 players and it takes anywhere between 20 and 90 minutes. All you need are a few friends and a lot of storytelling creativity.
Hi, we are Matthew and Petya, the co-founders of Mindpipe and the designers and creators of Carrot & Stick. We met more than 13 years ago, on the first day of university and we have been together ever since. Mindpipe has been our dream, obsession and battlefield for seven whole years. It is a tiny design studio, a sanctuary where the two of us can work on creative projects we dream up ourselves, projects we design and develop with passion, help from our many talented friends and family and a very large pinch of insanity.
We adore our small studio. The work is exciting, creative, terrifying and frankly endless. This is why we love board games. An evening with friends and family, playing a game, chatting and catching up is our absolute favourite time. We would often struggle though, to find a game we all wanted to play. This is what we had in mind the whole time we were designing and testing Carrot & Stick. A game that is small enough we can just carry around with us; simple enough, so we can introduce new players in minutes; and versatile enough, so we can play with our family as well as with our friends over a round at the pub. We couldn't be happier with the result. In many ways Carrot & Stick is shaped by the individual players as well as the overall mood of the group. Each player sees different opportunities in the cards, tells different stories and builds different worlds. You will never play the same game twice :)
We are so grateful to everyone out there who has been with us the whole way. All the feedback, ideas and comments we got over the last two years have been instrumental in creating the game and especially in the development of our organic design approach.
Carrot & Stick has always been all about the amazingly adorable and versatile world we were creating. A world you can shape, grow and develop. The two of us represent the entire team of Mindpipe and we are the ones creating every single design. If you join us on this journey, you will not only witness how we create our little characters and designs, but you will also help us. You will have the chance to have a real input in the final game.
We already have many more designs than the game requires, but we are not done yet. Every day of this campaign you will see a new design, a peep or a location. You will see them in progress, completed and even the entire process filmed.
and at the end of the campaign,
You will have your say!
At the end of our Kickstarter campaign, we will give all our backers an amazing opportunity. We will send you our gallery of choices, including exclusive, never before seen designs and we will have you choose your favourites. We will then tally up the scores and include only the crowd favourites in the final version of the game. Your support would mean a lot to us and we would love to thank you for it by giving you this sneak peek into our organic design approach.
We thought long and hard about what we can do for our Kickstarter backers to thank you for your support and faith in our project, so here are a few goodies you will get with the game, especially if we over fund, even just a bit :)
We love our game, but what do others think?
Here are some links, quotes and other wonderful pieces of wisdom from our play-testers, reviewers, fans and critics:
- Everything Board Games Preview
- Girls Play Games Review
Girls Play Games Interview
- more reviews coming very soon :)
Here's a little something from some of our play-testers:
- 'This game is crazy fun, offering endless possibilities of fantastic beasts, far-fetched offerings, double-entendre jokes, choosing between two implausible evils and other unpredictable combinations that will have everybody's sides hurting by the time the first round has even finished.' Madi
- 'Funnylitious! There are a few points which should be cleared, but so far so good. Keep improving and you'll be surprised how many fans and players you'll get.' Petar
- 'Fun, creative, different and open.' Ivo
- 'Amazing, funny and innovative. It's the artiest game I have ever seen. I'm truly impressed.' Velin
- 'It is easy to learn and play, I like the characters a lot! It is funny and extremely topical. The cards are beautiful and easy to understand.' Mila
Shipping and Manufacturing
- Carrot & Stick ships free of charge to anywhere in the US.
- We also ship anywhere else in the world for a small additional shipping charge.
- We have been working with the Print Ninja team to ensure the game's high quality and fast production.
We just want to say a quick thank you to everyone who has supported us, believed in us and helped us along the way:
- First and foremost, all our friends and family!
- all our play-testers, fans, bloggers and reviewers, who have been so wonderful to us.
- all our critics, who helped us improve the game so much
- and last, but not least, thank you Bensound (www.bensound.com) for the wonderfully cheeky and adorable music for our Kickstarter video!
Risks and challenges
Carrot & Stick is a card game and as such it is easy enough to produce. We have been negotiating with manufacturers as well as fulfillment companies for many moons now and we are confident we will not disappoint.
The only problem we can see would be the best one ever - if you love us so very much and you buy many many copies of the game, we will need to work twice as hard to fulfill on time. We are, however more than happy to work our socks off and we will do our very bestest to be right on time and have you love us even more.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter