About this project
Grow your own healthy nutritious food right outside your door! The GroBucket is the most versatile, economical, and easiest to use growing system on the planet. The insert transforms any 4, 5, or 6 gallon bucket into the ultimate self-watering container garden that can be used indoors and out. The 5 gallon size is ideal for most garden plants, house plants & ferns, flowers, and even dwarf fruit trees. The water level indicator tells you when your plant needs water, no more guess work. The one gallon reservoir protects the plants from even the most neglectful owner.
Watch this video to see a complete overview:
It is probably easier to say what can't be grown in a GroBucket. Nearly any garden vegetable can be grown in the GroBucket including tomatoes, pepper, carrots, squash, watermelon, beans, potatoes, okra, cabbage, greens, herbs, and many more. Dwarf fruit trees like lemon, lime, kumquat, and oranges as well as shrubs like blueberry bushes do well in GroBuckets. They are also great for house plants. You can also grow nearly any flower.
There is quite a wide selection of plants available at your local nursery or garden center, but that is only scratching the surface. The average heirloom seed catalog has over 200 pages, but that is still a very limited offering of each type of plant. There are over 3000 varieties of heirloom tomatoes alone. The possibilities are endless. One of the most rewarding aspects of gardening is growing a fruit, vegetable, or herb that you can't buy in a local store.
- Grow in small spaces. (Great for Apartments)
- No more weeding.
- Its the most affordable self watering system on the market.
- Perfect size for nearly any garden plant.
- No more forgetting to water or over-watering.
- Grow year round.
- Less susceptible to pests.
- Garden in seated position for mobility impaired.
- Made in the USA from recycled material.
- It's portable and easy to move.
- Space saving, each bucket takes up only one square foot.
- Compact storage, buckets and insert stack.
- Optional irrigation system eliminates watering.
- Great for schools, each child can have their own GroBucket.
- No more plant sitters needed for travelers.
- Perfect for small spaces, even Tiny Houses and RVs.
- Use indoors without the mess, no more saucers or drip trays.
- Easily painted to match any decor.
- The14 inch soil depth makes it more versatile that similar products on the market.
Beginners: Gardening can be intimidating. There is so much to know, like the makeup of the soil, pH, soil amendments, when to water, plant spacing, where to plant and so on. GroBucket will help you be successful the first time.
Advanced Gardeners: GroBuckets will allow you to augment your garden, extend your growing season, overwinter plants, isolate plants for seed saving, move plants to take advantage of optimal conditions, isolate and quarantine sick plants, get an early start to the season, and grow indoors to enjoy gardening year round.
GroBuckets pay for themselves many times over.
- Grow your own food - the average tomato plant produces over 25 lbs of tomatoes.
- Heirloom tomatoes sell for $3 to $4 per pound.
- No more paying for someone to water your plants while your away.
- No more replacing dead plants you forgot to water.
- GroBuckets require no garden tools.
- GroBuckets can last for many seasons Overwinter perennials like pepper plants and don't buy new plants the next season.
- Grow expensive herbs for a fraction of the cost.
- If you move your garden can move with you. No more replanting.
Risks and challenges
Product Design, Development, Testing, Project Management, is what we do in our every day jobs. We have all the details worked out even down to the custom packaging for each pack optimized to minimize shipping cost.
What we don't know is how many to plan to produce. Will we make 10,000 or 100,000 or more? The quantity will dictate what type of injection molds we order. A single cavity aluminum mold can be machined ready for production in as little as 4 to 6 weeks, but they can only produce about 40,000 parts. A semi-hard 2 cavity steel tool will take about 13 weeks, but this tool produces 2 parts every time the mold opens and closes and can produce up to 500,000 shots or 1,000,000 parts!
The GroBucket is a year around growing system, but we know that many folks in the North only have a 60 day outdoor growing season, so we want to be considerate and make sure they can start planting this year. Our goal is to deliver in late May and finishing up in June.
In order to shorten the fulfillment time we will kick the molds off as soon as we are funded and not wait until the end of the campaign. If you can help us get funded quicker, we will ship your order quicker. Another option is to order both the Aluminum and the Steel molds so we can start shipping within 4 to 6 weeks of being funded. This all depends on how fast we get funded and for how much.
The good news is, no matter when you get your GroBucket kits, you will be able to use them right away. You will also get many years of use out of them -- they are designed to last!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)