Let's Do This!
Hi! My name is Andrea Johnson, and I love reading science fiction and fantasy, and then talking about it online. I started my science fiction and fantasy book review blog, The Little Red Reviewer, in 2010. The first function of the blog was to be my reading diary. Over the years the blog has evolved, and the quality of my book reviews have evolved beyond my wildest expectations.
What is The Best of Little Red Reviewer all about?
The Best of Little Red Reviewer is a print book that showcases of my best work. With this book, my best reviews will be easy to find and easy to read. With this book, you'll know who I am as a reviewer and reader, and the value of my unique reviewing style.
Here are some examples of reviews that will be in The Best of Little Red Reviewer:
Artificial Condition by Martha Wells
Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
War for the Oaks by Emma Bull
Clockwork Phoenix Vol 5 edited by Mike Allen
The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White
Sure, sure, books are entertaining, they are great for escapism, they are fun to read, but sometimes books are far more than that. Sometimes they feel like a symphony, sometimes they feel like a supernova, sometimes they feel like a warm blanket, sometimes they feel like you've finally come home. Sometimes it is a different you who finishes the book than the you who started it.
My book reviews don't just tell you about the book. I don't just talk about my favorite scenes or my favorite characters or if I think you should read the book or not. My reviews are a reflection of my experience and my journey through an author's story. These are the books I got lost in. These are the books I was found in.
I've written over 400 reviews in the last eight years. I'm proud of how far I've come, the skills I've honed, and what I've accomplished. I've garnered plenty of compliments along the way. But my reviews? They only exist online. You'll never find them as ink on paper, or in a library, or anywhere but cyberspace.
Why should you care about this project? Why is this Kickstarter worth your funding?
Are my reviews worth more than pixel space? Do they have value outside the blogosphere? I believe they do.
The vast majority of book blogs start out as hobby projects, and then grow into something larger than anyone could have predicted. Blogging takes time, and energy, and most importantly blogging takes passion. What is the value of the resulting content?
If you believe my work has value, if you believe reviews have value, if you believe talking about how science fiction and fantasy can change us as readers and as people, this kickstarter is worth your funding.
This kickstarter is a viability project to determine if what started off as a hobby has real world value.
So, how is this book any different from what's already on your website?
Well, for one, it's a physical book, instead of pixels on a screen.
The reviews will vary slightly from their originals - everything will be professionally copyedited, which means the grammatical errors and paragraph breaks will be cleaned up. I'll have to say goodbye to my run-on sentences! Short introductions will be added, and in some cases, spoilers and quotations will be edited out.
This is a collection of my best book reviews, with everything easy to find. You won't have to dig through my site or through my reviews index to find the best stuff.
$5 gets you the e-book! Epub or mobi, you can enjoy the ebook on your e-reader, tablet, or phone.
$15 gets you the book! You can display it on your bookshelves, pet it lovingly, tell everyone you know the author. Also makes a great drinks coaster.
$35 gets you a customized book! Every customized book will be different. I might include extra notes that didn't make it into the review, sketches, recipes, silly jokes, or other comments.
$35 guarantees your favorite review will be in the book. Have you got a favorite review that I've written? This backer reward ensures that review will be included in the book, and you'll get to write a short introduction to the review if you so choose.
Important things to know:
- The Best of Little Red Reviewer is Rated R for adult content and adult language. My reviews occasionally have swear words in them. I read and discuss books that were written for adults, which means my reviews may discuss things like sex, violence, death, heavy topics, and other things that would cause a movie to get an R rating.
- The Best of Little Red Reviewer will be professionally copy edited and designed. I am smart enough to know that I don't know how to do those things, and that is it worth every penny to pay a professional to do them.
- The Best of Little Reviewer is currently at about 40,000 words. Stretch goals may make it longer.
- The content already exists. The reviews already exist. But there is plenty of work that will need be completed between the end of the kickstarter and the printed books shipping to your house! These tasks are explained further in the Risks and Rewards section.
- The Best of Little Red Revieweris not a list of my favorite books that I have read. This volume will include the reviews I am most proud of. Many of my favorite books did not make the cut because while I loved the book, the review I wrote wasn't as good as it could have been.
- The Best of Little Red Reviewerincludes reviews of new books, old books, mainstream books, small press books, books you've heard of and books you've never heard of.
What will the money be spent on?
- copy editing
- interior book layout and e-book layout
- cover art
- printing the books and having them bulk ship to my apartment (that poor, poor delivery guy!)
- shipping supplies such as bubble envelopes, packing tape, and labels. The books have to get from my apartment to you!
Thank you for supporting this kickstarter!
Risks and challenges
The base content is already created.
Here's what yet needs to be done, and the risks involved:
- All the base content needs to be copy-edited. This could take a month, or this could take 3 or more months. It depends on what else is on my copy-editors plate. Same time frame risks apply to the editor who is doing the interior layout and the graphic designer who is doing the cover art.
- My budget includes printing the book, having the books bulk ship to my house. What if shipping or printing vastly increases between now and when the books print? I'll have to pay the difference out of my pocket. Same goes for the cost of shipping supplies (bubble envelopes, labels, etc) and the actual mailing of the packages from where I live to where you live.
- International shipping. If you live outside the US and Canada, I still want you to get to enjoy this book! But it may take longer for your package to arrive.
- (30 days)