About this project
WE LOVE TO LAUGH.
And we love comedy. We love performing it. We love watching it. And more than anything we love the community that revolves around it.
RIOT will be a weekend long comedy festival to take place along an entire city block of downtown LA in an eclectic set of venues. This festival is an opportunity to showcase some of today's best comedic talent in the country to a wider audience—providing mass exposure to a thriving alternative comedy scene.
With your help, we can put on the best comedy festival Los Angeles has ever had. The funds we're asking for will be used to provide YOU, fellow comedy nerd, with the best experience possible. We'll use initial funds for the venue deposits. Next, we'll pay for vendors, rentals, equipment, staff, food and drink concessions, and security—every dollar you give to RIOT will go toward making this festival amazing.
RIOT LA debuts in the fall of 2012. Why are we starting so early, you ask? We're very serious about making this dream a reality, and the one thing we refuse to have is a lack of organization. Organization takes time, which we've appropriately given ourselves, and money, which we're hoping you give to us.
We're still in the very early planning stages, but this a grassroots, brick-by-brick community project. That's why we're coming to you. We're asking you to bring a brick. Help us build the festival from the ground up donating, backing and supporting RIOT. Thank you!
So how did this happen?
Over the past three years, our executive producer Abbey Londerhas immersed herself in this vibrant, underground comedy scene. She's had the good fortune to meet and work with some of the most talented comedians around, and has given her uncompromising energy and talent to this thriving community. Abbey gives creativity to the comedy scene by producing in unlikely venues, bringing a Do-It-Yourself approach to a very team spirited group of people. She started at a tiny Chinese restaurant—a little room with a lot of heart—bringing in over 200 of the best comedians from Late Night, HBO, Comedy Central and more in just one year. Recently she produced a show that took place in the warehouse district of downtown LA. The production wasn't only about showcasing amazing comedians. It was about bringing together local artists and creating something that everyone could participate in. There was a ping-pong table, a live DJ, a homemade photo booth, an art exhibition featuring local LA artists, drink and food trucks—it was a celebration.
Our commitment to celebration and community is why we've created RIOT. Los Angeles is home to some of the best comedy in the country, and we want to share that with as many people as we can.
The inspiration for this festival came from a casual conversation between Abbey and a few like-minded friends, Jeff Wattenhofer and Chris Register. about recreating on a large scale all of that mirth and madness that was captured that night in downtown LA—which continues to bubble over in so many unlikely venues all over the city. Comedians, this community and Los Angeles not only needs this festival, it deserves this festival.
We don’t see RIOT as just another comedy festival. It's a celebration of underground comedy and everything that makes the community surrounding it so unique.
GIMME THE GOODS!
RIOT has some pretty awesome stuff to give you! As you know, we're all about community here, so we've asked local artists and friends of RIOT LA to create the designs for all our rad rewards!
Every backer who donates, no matter what the dollar amount, gets his or her name on our OFFICIAL BACKERS POSTER, designed by Landen Celano. It's your way of stamping your name on this festival and our way of showing appreciation for your generous support. Brick by brick! *This poster is available on Kickstarter ONLY and will NOT be available for purchase at the festival!*
We've put together an array of thank-you gifts for our backers (see the list at the right for the gift packages associated with each dollar amount):
- A HANDWRITTEN POSTCARD from RIOT's creator, Abbey! Custom Designs by our friends Rusty Kugler & Jenifer Reeser.
- RIOT SCHWAG BAG full of buttons, stickers and postcards, oh my! Designs by local artists and friends of RIOT Jenifer Reeser & Rusty Kugler.
- OFFICIAL RIOT T-SHIRTS, custom designed by LA artists and friends of RIOT Mike Nissen and Rudy Blood. You get to choose the one you want!
- OFFICIAL AUTOGRAPHED RIOT POSTER PRINT, signed by all 40+ comedians featured in the above video, including (in order of appearance): Dave Koechner, Pete Holmes, Chelsea Peretti, Todd Glass, Dana Gould, Kyle Kinane, Jon Dore, Kumail Nanjiani, Megan Mullally, Patton Oswalt, Tig Notaro, Jimmy Pardo, Bob Odenkirk, Matt Braunger, Marc Maron, Oscar Nunez, Liz Feldman, Rory Scovel, Steve Little, Erik Griffin, Kate Micucci, Eddie Pepitone, Thomas Lennon, Ron Lynch, Michelle Buteau, Martin Starr, Jackie Kashian, Emily Maya Mills, Susan Burke, Lizzy Cooperman, Retta, Craig Anton, Eric Andre, Brent Weinbach, Bil Dwyer, Jimmy Dore, Artemis Pebdani, Myq Kaplan, Nick Thune, Fortune Feimster, Dave Ross, Chris Register, Jeff Wattenhofer & Abbey Londer. *This poster is available on Kickstarter ONLY and will NOT be available for purchase at the festival!*
- HOODIES, from American Apparel,custom design by Mike Nissen.
- VIP PACKAGES! For the biggest comedy geeks out there. All the goodies we're offering plus a VIP FESTIVAL PASS. Cut straight to the front of every line—food, beverages and shows! VIP PREMIUM PACKAGES include an ORIGINAL OFFICIAL AUTOGRAPHED RIOT POSTER! *Only three available!!!*
CREDITS for this amazing video go to:
Director of Photography: Jennifer Henry
Crew: Igor Hiller, Tim Neenan, Alex Owen, Kimmy Yacharn, Dave Ross, Jo Wagner, Darrell Nash Jr., Alexander Tirasongkran & Nabil Rahme
SPECIAL THANK-YOU to Mike Rosenstein, Rachel Goldenberg, Seth Craven, Lisa Klobuchar, Sonny Remlinger & Funny or Die
THANK YOU SO MUCH TO ALL THOSE WHO HELPED CREATE OUR VIDEO!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (31 days)