SUCCESSION: Mobile game for Android (and iPhone, if stretch-goal is reached)
Our game is a mobile game about kings, queens and possibly presidents. Its current aim is to teach people about the kings and queens of England. It will have different mini-games which will encourage you to learn history in a fun way. When you start the game you will see the 5 options: Expert Mode, The Gallery, 5 A Day, Royal Houses and The BIG Challenge.
This will be an extra setting that adds more mini-games with harder objectives to the main game modes.
The Gallery will be a long wall with the different kings and queens pictured along it. Each picture will be named and have different facts about the different rulers. For example: when they came to power, when they died, how they died and the length of their reign. It will be a small research area if you get stuck on other parts of the game.
5 A Day (Game Mode):
This game mode will include the mini-games: 'Line of Succession', 'Identification Station' and 'Dumb Demises' (bonus game if in EXPERT mode: 'When?').
Line of Succession. In this mini game you are challenged to place 5 kings and queens in the correct order. After every attempt it will only tell you how many you got correct. It will not let you proceed to the next mini game until they are all in the correct order. You are scored on the number of attempts.
- Identification Station. This will use the same 5 rulers as before but already in the correct order. The names of the kings and queens will be jumbled up at the bottom and you must drag the names to the correct images of kings and queens. Again, after every attempt it will only tell you how many you got correct.
- Dumb Demises. Dumb Demises is a mini-game where you have to match the method of death to the correct king or queen (or the cause of leaviong office for a president). It will have icons for the method of death on items which can be dragged. If you get any incorrect it will restart the mini-game.
- When? (will only appear in EXPERT mode). When? will have the same concept as the other mini games but will play with dates of the start and the end of their reign.
Royal Houses (Game Mode)
This game mode will include all of the same mini games as 5 A Day. Unlike 5 A Day it will include more than 5 rulers each time. This is because it will have all the rulers from certain royal houses (i.e. House of Tudor includes: Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary I and Elizabeth I).
The BIG Challenge (Game Mode):
This will challenge you to go through all 35 kings and queens included in the game by the same aim as Dumb Demises. You must complete this as fast as possible because it will challenge you to do it in under a minute!
Initially all of the kings and queens from the House of Tudor will be locked in the game (from all modes). There will be a single, low-cost in-app purchase which unlocks these characters and any other bonus characters in the game.
FUNDING GOALS AND STRETCH GOALS
1. £350: Basic game for Android phones including 35 British Monarchs from 1066-1901.
2. £750: Extended game for Android phones including 25 American Presidents and 35 British Monarchs from 1066-1901.
3. £1500: Extended game on both Android and Apple phones.
Risks and challenges
Making a complete game is not easy, but we have already published one Android game on Google Play and know how it works:
The only thing we don't have control of ourselves is the character artwork, and we have already found an artist through FIVERR to do this. If this artist became unavailable then there are other pixel artists available through the same website.
Parental Note: In accordance with KickStarter's terms I (Jacob Habgood) assume responsibility for fulfilment of the project. I worked in the video-game industry for over a decade, I teach game development to undergraduates, and I co-authored "The Game Maker's Apprentice", a popular book on Game Maker. I've published dozens of games on many different platforms and the risks for completing this project seem relatively low.
Developer Credits: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,42621/
The Game Maker's Apprentice: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1590596153/
- (31 days)